Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

98-up front end conversion . Firebird guys here is everything you need .

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 02:39 AM

Post 98-up front end conversion . Firebird guys here is everything you need .

This question has been asked so many times , what do I need . I have never really seen it FULLY answered . All we have to do is paint mine and my conversion will be done . So here is the FULL deal . First off it is all a direct bolt on , the only fabbing involed was the headlight harness .

You need :
Obviously the Hood ( hinges and shocks ) , fenders , bumper cover , headlights , and all lights .
- Hood latch assemby . The reciever part
- Front fender mount brackets . This is where the fender mounts where it meets the front bumper cover , it IS different than the 93-97 mount .
-front impact beam and styrofome piece
-the support bracket thats mounted right in front of the hood latch reciever

Notes :
Mounting headlights - You need to drill and tap 1 hole per side to mount the headlights . The 98-up's mount with 2 bolts as opposed to 1 with the LT1 style . The pre-exisiting holes are in the correct spot ( 1 per side ) , you just need to add the additional holes . The 98-up headlight harness is a 5 wire weather pak . The LT1 headlight harness uses the same exact wires but with a separated 2-way and 3-way weather pak . I cut off the 5-way on the new headlights and spliced in the LT1 style connectors on the new headlights . Like I said all the wires are the same , they just attach differently between the 2 styles
-All the LT1 light sockets for the parking lights plug right into the 98-up lights . No changes need to be made here .
-Fog lights are the same as LT1 cars .
-ALL splash gaurds , air deflector ect. under the front of the car are the exact same pieces the LT1 car uses . So you can re-use all that stuff .
- With the induction my hood was a Ram Air hood and it did include all the LS1 induction so I adapted that as well . The outside holes in the lower LS1 air box/radiator shroud line up perfectly with the 2 outside holes of the LT1 radiator shroud . This mounts the shroud secure enuff I think , but , there are 2 more mounting holes in the LS1 shround that dont line up with the other holes from the LT1 shroud . If you want to use them ( I did ) youll need to drill and tap 2 holes ...1 on each side .
I used a MTI upper lid . The Maf attaches directly to that . For a bellow I used a 96-97 WS6 bellow from the old style ram air box . The LS1 bellow didnt work because it was round on both ends . The 96-97 style is the correct length , has the opti vent hole and is round on the MAF side and oval on the TB side . It worked perfect You could always hit up home depot or lowes . What you need is in the plumbing section . This was an insurance deal for me though so I wanted brand new (free ) GM parts

In a nutshell thats basically it . If you have all the required parts , this is CAKE The camaros look easier yet . My car isnt painted yet , that should happen tomorrow . I will have pics up next week sometime .

------------------
Derek 95 Trans Am convertible
K&N fipk , CSI h20 pump , hooker lt's , mufflex 4" , LT1edit , ET streets , 373's , !A/C , !smog
Best Et 12.771@106.89
Best 60ft. 1.820
MTI/GTP stage 3 LT4 heads , cc306 , hyra-rev , 1.6's , r lifters , full manual 700r4 , ST3500 verter , roll bar and more all in the garage waiting for install .
92 Z28 - 5.7/G92 , stock daily driver
Old 07-19-2002, 09:43 AM

Thanks man this might be a winter job sometime in the future

was finding the fenders etc hard?
Old 07-19-2002, 10:50 AM

and how much did this set you back???

------------------
'97 Trans Am Mystic, A4 13.41 @ 102.9
Minor engine mods - Hooker Long tubes, ASP underdrive pulley, K&N CAI, Hooker Cat-back, Custom y-pipe, MSD 8.5mm wires (Over the valve covers)
1LE suspension (springs, swaybars, elbow), BMR LCA's and PHR, Granatelli STB
Appearance Mods Polished Valve Covers, Konig Flight rims (17x9.5), Clear corners, Macewen Silver Guages
www.streetillusionsracing.com
My Page
Install Page
Old 07-19-2002, 11:01 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkayner:
and how much did this set you back???

</font>
The cost of my deductible
..a whopping $500

We got an entire front clip ( with no cooling or suspension ) which you need for all the parts . The 01 ram air clip I got was $2000 . Prices varied alot though .
Old 08-24-2002, 03:01 PM

Thumbs up

Happen to get any pictures yet? Wish someone had a list like this for the Camaro. I'm looking into doing the conversion myself, so I'm doing all the research I can.

Brent might be interested in putting this information on his site...Might want to shoot him an email.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:43 PM

so what happened to your car that you needed a new front end,and what did you tell insurance, that you would pay the extra amount for the better parts like the ram air hood. I have been praying for a deer to come my way, for that mattter any animal big enough to crush my front end, some guys are so lucky.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:49 PM

I so want to do this!

I want a LT1 Project, but the looks of the LS1 Body style! Hopefully next summer I can afford a new car

------------------
'88 Camaro SC 2.8L V6

www.thecybergarage.com
Old 08-25-2002, 12:34 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QUICK305:
Happen to get any pictures yet?
Looking forward to seeing some pics.
</font>
I will try to get them up tomorrow . I have a bunch , just no time to upload them As far as the Camaro , I would think it would be easier than the T/A . To save on cost , try to find a loose front clip . That is how I got mine from Speed Automotive . Loose meaning they take all the parts off and ship that way , as opposed to a cowl cut .

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">so what happened to your car that you needed a new front end,and what did you tell insurance, that you would pay the extra amount</font>
My car was stolen . When the police found it , all the body parts had been stripped off from the doors forward , wheels/tires and radio .
Mr. Insurance man said do whatever you want as long as the cost doesnt exceed the cost of whats there already . Hmmm , ok ...time to start scroungin
Body shop quote 95 complete front clip ...$2900 . Found 01 clip for $2000 thru speed automotive
Quote new 95 5 stars and GSC's ...$1589 . Found used 2002 WS6 wheels for $600 and used F1's w/8K miles for $300

Thats how I delt with the whole car , just found my own parts and thats how I got exactly what I wanted for less than the body shop quote for all the 95 stuff .
Old 08-25-2002, 09:07 AM

How did they steal it? I thought it would be harder then hell considering we have the chip in our keys.

------------------
1995 3.4L v6 Camaro FIPK Spintech Cat-back.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:09 AM

there is nothing that can stop a thief, you better learn that quick! They can steal ANY car nomatter what, things like the PassKey and VATS are only obstibles to overcome.

These things have been standard on cars since '89, they have had plenty of time to learn to overcome these things.

Seen Gone in sixty seconds? That kind of stuff happens all the time, ain't nothing going to stop them, no Alarm either!

------------------
'88 Camaro SC 2.8L V6

www.thecybergarage.com
Old 08-25-2002, 01:50 PM

But features such as VATS, Passkey and alarms do slow them down and discourage amatures.

------------------
'96 Firebird Formula M6
Performance
Custom cut-out, Homemade 4" CAI with 9" cone filter, !CAGS, TB Bypass, Manual fan switch, Energy Suspension Trans. Mount, Taylor 8mm Wires, Pro 5.0 shifter, LCAs, Stock 3.42 gears
Stereo
Sony Xplod MP450X MP3 Headunit, Sony XE-90MKII Half DIN EQ, MTX RTX01A Crossover, 2 12" Clarions, powered by 2 Bridged Kenwood KAC-728S amps, Infinity Reference Series component set up front, powered by Kenwood KAC-628, EFX 1 farad cap

Pic
Old 09-04-2002, 02:40 PM

This is the post i wanted to see. I might be getting a 98-up WS6 front end,and wondered what was involved.
Thanx for the Info,and any pictures yet?

------------------
Dirk
1997 TA A4
11.251@119.3 1.52 60',7.132@95.39 1/8
The RacinLT1
RacinLT1 pic's
Old 09-04-2002, 09:11 PM

Wink

The conversion is alot easier done than said. I was chicken at first, but after I got all the parts in, It took me a weekend to finish everything up. It was a sinch! Id recommend this to anyone who wants a 98+front end. Anyone have any questions, feel free to email me, Id be glad to help!

------------------
BLACK ON BLACK 97WS6 M6,FlowMaster Exhaust,3in Cut out,!CAGS
Hurst Short Shifter with Lou's Short stick,K&N Air Filter,Eibach Sportline's Lowering springs,Shaved Door handles
T-TOP CONVERSION COMPLETE!!!
98+TA FRONT CLIP CONVERSION COMPLETE!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 12:33 PM

Re: 98-up front end conversion . Firebird guys here is everything you need .

Before and afters?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:27 PM

Re: 98-up front end conversion . Firebird guys here is everything you need .

I did the ls1 ss front end swap everything was a direct bolt up even the air box no coupler needed, just needed to extend the mass air flow senser and tap two extra holes for the air box I will post before and after pics next week.

Quick Reply: 98-up front end conversion . Firebird guys here is everything you need .