Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

AFS rims question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 06:09 PM

AFS rims question

could i change the center cap to maybe a pontiac emblem? i love the black rims but i dont think it would look right with a corvette emblem.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

The only problem with this is that I know of no where you can purchase a BLANK black centercap. They all either have the vette logo or have an engraved ring in them (half the vette logo ).

If you find a completely BLANK black centercap, please let me know because I want a set too!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Administrator

The caps on mine came with a painted thin black ring, maybe 1.5" diameter, and a heavy soft plastic Corvette logo that was glued on. The Corvette logo came right off, and I covered the cap with the red Pontiac arrowhead on a round silver decal the same size as the center cap - from someone other than Brent.... I mention this because they eventally "bubbled" and wrinkled around the edges, part of the problem of putting a flat decal on a slightly curved surface. The other issue is that the silver colored circle over the cap was the fact that my wheels are polished and the silver on the decal is more like chrome.

Brent:

Have you had any problems with yours bubbling or wrinkling at the edges? Do you have a background color for the circular disc that would be a better match to a polished wheel?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Injuneer
The caps on mine came with a painted thin black ring, maybe 1.5" diameter, and a heavy soft plastic Corvette logo that was glued on. The Corvette logo came right off, and I covered the cap with the red Pontiac arrowhead on a round silver decal the same size as the center cap - from someone other than Brent.... I mention this because they eventally "bubbled" and wrinkled around the edges, part of the problem of putting a flat decal on a slightly curved surface.
Actually, that sounds like more an issue of cheap vinyl. The vinyl I use for all decals (except some of the specialty vinyl like carbon fiber, chrome, etc.) will conform around rivets, corners, everything and should not peel up. Take a look at this picture. That shows the good vinyl overlayed on top of the stock front nose badge. With cheap "sign type" vinyl, you can't do that

As for color matching polished wheels

The silver vinyl I have almost perfectly matches the silver GM uses in most of their wheels. But, if yours are polished, that's not going to work. Fred, are yours highly polished almost like chrome? If so, I have chrome vinyl that would match better than silver. If your wheels are not highly polished, I really have not seen a vinyl that would match good with wheels like my TTII (a dull polished aluminum). I think the best way to describe this is... can you see your detailed reflection in your wheels? If so, I thikn the chrome would work good. Hmmm? Whatcha think? One other issue with the chrome is that it actually is a thin metal and will definitely not bend around the lip of the centercap so it would have to go right to the very edge (remain flat).
Old 04-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Fred, if your wheels still look like this...

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...J/DCP02502.jpg

I think your best bet is to get a set of blank chrome centercaps from SLP (around $25) and stick the decal on that. The blank chrome centercaps are much better than using the chrome vinyl to hide the black ring.

I don't have a vinyl to match that and haven't seen anything either. The closest color would be brushed aluminum but it has lines in it