Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Another Projector/Halo option for 93-97 guys...pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 AM

I'm also really interested to know how these turned out.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 AM

i would like to see pictures from further back also

and a write up for sure
Old 05-09-2010, 04:57 AM

Well I have been responding to quite a few PMs about this mod. Yes it turned out great IMO. The light output is vastly improved over stock. I put in Silverstar bulbs which are nice since it is a simple bulb swap now. I am considering further upgrading to a HID bulb to get the most out of the swap. The projectors have a decent output and light cut-off for only paying $100 for the set. Despite what many would say the light control I believe will be enough to keep a set of HID bulbs from blinding oncoming drivers.

I just have a few pics I took real quick last summer when the car was out. My blower took a dump so it wasn't out much for pictures. Excuse the dirty motor compartment- I just wanted to drive the car. Once the car gets out again later this summer I will take more pics and try and get together a write-up since there seems to be in interest in this.

font2.jpg?t=1273398790

front.jpg?t=1273398923

sideprofile.jpg?t=1273398894

motor.jpg?t=1273398844
Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 AM

Awesome work. Best light swap I think I've seen. Dont know why I never thought about using one of the 88-99 truck style light sets. Im always explaining to family and friends that the Camaro uses the same headlight as the 88-90 (dont remember right off the exact year the trucks went to composites, but as we all know, the shape and aftermarket is essentially the same up to the 99 classic. I was going to put my 98+ clip on my new 95 so I could have more headlight choices, but YOU my friend may have totally changed my mind single-handedly. I'm just suprised at myself for not finding your thread sooner. I had been keeping a close eye for a while on other headlight conversions and had just about lost all hope of one that looked right to me, not to say that some of what others have put together havnt been nice or very well planned, just not something I wanted on mine.

You say these were only $100 for the set??? Seems well worth it to me. Great job, will be watching for updates.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 PM

so hows about the full write up now...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM

YES!! full write up!! I have stock c\k headlight waiting to go in my ride
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 AM

bump..
Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Write-up will be coming...I will try to fit it in shortly- lots of training at work lately and my wedding coming up at the end of the month so please give me a little patience.

I have not forgot about you guys. I have learned a lot from this site and will be more than happy to contribute back...
Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM

I just ordered the same set of headlights after looking at all the options on ebay and determining you got the "least ricey" of the bunch. I've got to pull the bumper off for an intercooler anyway, so as I get them installed I'll see what I can do as well.

After swapping to projector style optics on my grand prix, its 100% worth while, rice or no rice.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
I just ordered the same set of headlights after looking at all the options on ebay and determining you got the "least ricey" of the bunch. I've got to pull the bumper off for an intercooler anyway, so as I get them installed I'll see what I can do as well.

After swapping to projector style optics on my grand prix, its 100% worth while, rice or no rice.
I was looking too, I couldn't find that style. Plenty of rice, though. Please send me a link to that seller you bought from
Old 05-14-2010, 07:18 AM

Well I looked online and couldn't find the exact seller I bought them from but from what I can tell these appear to be the same thing..and wouldn't it be just my luck they are almost $50 cheaper than when I bought them less than a year ago.

Here is the link-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_4762wt_1228

There are plenty of options out there for the classic style truck- both projector style, 'halo' style, crystal lenses etc.. If you decided to not go the projector route it would save some cutting into the radiator support but that is up to you- everyone has their own style. I choose the projector simply because I like the light output pattern that they cast on the road.

I know its only bits a pieces of info- I am working on getting it done- but the car is in storage 25 minutes from the house so its not like I can walk out to the garage and take some pics.

Don't worry- write-up will be coming ASAP for me....
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Here are the ones I got. Same lights.
Linky
In comparison, projectors destroy a reflector style lamp for low beams. End of story. Also, you should not (and legally, are not supposed to) put actual HIDs into a reflector lamp because of glare - but you can put them in a projector. Which is what I will be doing.

You may be tempted to go HID highs (I was) but they need time to ignite and get to temperature, so you'd loose the ability to quickly flash people.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Yeah- I put HIDs in my truck already. The HID high beams are awesome for lighting but the warmup is too slow and turning them on and off will wear out the ballast quicker.

Even with silverstars you can see the light pattern- I am keeping the silverstars in the high beams- but honestly even having HIDs in the low beams will prol be better than lows and highs stock. Average halogen light output is around 1200-1500 lumens- an HID puts out over 3500 lumens typically.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 PM

Got the headlights today. Looking at a few different options for mounting - though my first inclination is to remove the whole header panel the stock headlights mount to and just add a single center plate for the bumper to attach to (maybe shed some weight in the process). We'll see how that goes over the next two weeks. First inclination is that these should also be really easy to upgrade and aim compared to the stock headlights. HIDs here we come!

But just looking at them, the angles are the same, the distances between the low and high beam optics are the same, the height and width of the truck light is the same as the stock sealed beams....
Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 PM

I've started on mine, taking plenty of pics of the install. I may get one side done this weekend, but I'm waiting for my Phillips HID kit to get here

Quick Reply: Another Projector/Halo option for 93-97 guys...pics