Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:09 AM

Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?

I'm very tempted to try these overlays for our cars but i figured i would see if anyone has ever tried them before. I really want some white faced gauges that light up blue. Anyone ever use them? Anyone have any luck with some of the cheaper 93-96 150mph white face gauges. Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43952
Old 10-28-2004, 08:49 AM

Re: Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?

Man, you and I ARE on the same page with our mods. I got the reverse indiglo guages off ebay a while ago, couldn't be happier, I love them. Pictures:

http://www.radford.edu/~rvandenhe/Pi...ges/gauge2.jpg
http://www.radford.edu/~rvandenhe/Pi...es%20night.jpg
http://www.radford.edu/~rvandenhe/Pi...20Progress.jpg
Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 AM

Jesus christ your car only has 35k on it that must be nice. Do you know the brand or the name of the seller you bought yours from? I see some of the gauges are listed as you don't have to remove the needles to put them on. I don't know how that can be. Is that how your's were? Is the wiring that hard to do? Thanks for your help man.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:12 AM

It had 35k when I put the guages in It had 26k when I bought it in March of 03, and about 52k on it now

The person I bought them from was makotoautotrends I believe

I did not have to remove the needles, but you do have to be very careful. You can bend the overlays to get them on the needles. It will take a couple tries.

Make sure to mark where your needles were. And I also ran my tank to just about on fumes, so that when I reinstalled the guages I put the gas guage at E, that way I know when it says empty GET MY A$$ TO THE GAS STATION. It goes way over full now, but I don't care, I'd rather know when it's empty.

I suggest cutting the overlays to the outline of the black plastic bezel too, I hate the look of too much white.

I've installed reverse glow guages on 2 other cars as well w/o removing the needles, the camaro was the hardest b/c of the closeness of the needles. Hook them up to your headlight switch as opposed to any power source so they come on only when the headlights do, and dim normally.

The guages I have switch from Blue/Green, but I found green looks like ***, so I just stuck the switch in under the console, so it's not cluttering anything up.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by rlax31
I did not have to remove the needles, but you do have to be very careful. You can bend the overlays to get them on the needles. It will take a couple tries.

Make sure to mark where your needles were. And I also ran my tank to just about on fumes, so that when I reinstalled the guages I put the gas guage at E, that way I know when it says empty GET MY A$$ TO THE GAS STATION. It goes way over full now, but I don't care, I'd rather know when it's empty.

I suggest cutting the overlays to the outline of the black plastic bezel too, I hate the look of too much white.

I've installed reverse glow guages on 2 other cars as well w/o removing the needles, the camaro was the hardest b/c of the closeness of the needles. Hook them up to your headlight switch as opposed to any power source so they come on only when the headlights do, and dim normally.

The guages I have switch from Blue/Green, but I found green looks like ***, so I just stuck the switch in under the console, so it's not cluttering anything up.
Why do you need to mark the where the needles are if you don't remove them? I thought you only needed to mark where they were when pulled the needles off. I don't think i should have to cut the gauges as 93-96 have the black trim around the gauges to help break it up. Although i will probably cut out the SES light section and replace that with the black part. I've seen that done and it looks way better. I've seen pics of them with green lighting and it does look like ***. I want blue in mine anyways. Thanks for all the help, i appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:29 AM

You mark them because you will move the needles to get the overlays on. I think the way I did it was get all the needles to face the top of the guages area, start the needles in their respective holes in the overlay, then pull the overlay down over the guages till it snaps into place, carefully of course.

I don't think it matters for most of the needles, they'll go back to normal no matter if they're moved or not, but i know for a fact the gas guage won't, it's moves relative to where it's placed
Old 10-28-2004, 10:36 AM

Ok thanks. One of the main reasons i haven't done this mod is i really didn't want to pull the needles off and mess up the accuracy of my gauges. I know for the most part they aren't that accurate but i at least want my speedo, tach, charging, and fuel to be close. That way i can actually see if i have a problem there. I had a buddy that did white face gauges on his foxy body stang and he removed the needles. His speedo and gas gauge were all messed up after that. It bothered me enough to keep me from doing it, until now. By the way i'm not trying to copy your mods, you just have good taste so i end up doing the same ones you do.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:04 PM

If you have a 95 you can move the gauge needles just as long as you don't move them past the marks on the gauges. the gaiges will reset after you are done. JUST DONT MOVE THEM PAST THE MARKS (ie: don't go past the full line or empty line on the gas gauge)
Old 10-28-2004, 01:17 PM

Those are the gauges I have, it's also the seller I bought them from... Didn't have any problems with the seller... They're good quality and come with a little pad that you mount to adjust the level of brightness and the hues from blue to green... They say you don't have to remove the needles to get those on.. But it was a PITA to do that... Hardest part was getting it over the odometer post, then the needles... But they look great and I'd recommend them.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:11 PM

Well i bought a set of white face gauges off ebay. I'll post my experiences.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:55 PM

I just got the gauges off of ebay. Where is a good site to get the bezel? I don't want the whole thing white!

-Travis
Old 10-30-2004, 08:18 PM

You have a 97+ camaro I assume. Get a bezel from a trans am that's what most guys do.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:04 PM

I got the gauges in the mail today and there is a little black box and a super thin grey button that says on/off. Is the on/off switch how you change colors? Also do you leave the old light bulbs in the dash or do you take them out? because i assume the gauge panel provides its own lighting as that is why the wires are on it. i won't be installing them until this weekend so any install tips i would appreciate, and also where did you splice the wiring into for power?
Old 11-03-2004, 06:07 PM

I guess your guages are different, mine have a blue/green switch, and a dimmer. I left the bulbs in the guages. I don't know about the 39-96 guages, but I'm pretty sure I spliced into the brown wire behind the headlight switch
Old 11-03-2004, 06:45 PM

Mine came with a transformer(little black box) and a flat pad with two buttons... One side adjusts the level of brightness and the other side adjusts the shades from blue to green... I didn't have an on/off button with mine... You must have a switch or **** on the transformer to adjust everything... I believe I tapped into the brown wire at the headlight switch to power everything.

One thing I did was hold the gauge panel up to the light after I got the overlay on to make sure everything lined up, signals, brights, etc... Then I used some small pieces of duct tape around the edges of the cover to make sure it stayed in place... The bezel fits tightly onto the overlay and holds it, but I didn't want to take a chance of it slipping and screwing up the lighting behind the overlay and having to remove everything again.

Here's a link showing how to remove the gauges and a little about installing an overlay:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/dash.html

Quick Reply: Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?