Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:11 PM

Re: Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?

Originally Posted by 94Z28WP
Mine came with a transformer(little black box) and a flat pad with two buttons... One side adjusts the level of brightness and the other side adjusts the shades from blue to green... I didn't have an on/off button with mine... You must have a switch or **** on the transformer to adjust everything... I believe I tapped into the brown wire at the headlight switch to power everything.

One thing I did was hold the gauge panel up to the light after I got the overlay on to make sure everything lined up, signals, brights, etc... Then I used some small pieces of duct tape around the edges of the cover to make sure it stayed in place... The bezel fits tightly onto the overlay and holds it, but I didn't want to take a chance of it slipping and screwing up the lighting behind the overlay and having to remove everything again.

Here's a link showing how to remove the gauges and a little about installing an overlay:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/dash.html
Mine doesn't have a brightness level just an on off switch. They only light up blue which is fine with me. The only thing is i took them out and hooked them up to my battery to see how they lit up. They only light up when they are hooked up to power and then you turn them on. I wonder if i'm gonna have to cut and splice the on/off switch wires together so i won't have to hit the on button everytime for them to work. Also i know on some white faced gauges you actually pull off the stock black overlay and put the white one in its place. On these reverse glows you just lay them on top of the black overlay right?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:31 AM

Here are the ones i got.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1787/pb030064.jpg
I hope i can find some way to cut and splice the wires on the on off switch. I really don't want to have to hit the on off switch everytime to turn them on.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:58 AM

I was going on the assumption you got the overlays from the link in your original post... So I have a different style and setup than yours... That's a poor design if you have to switch on the lights AND the overlays seperately everytime... I would think you'd just have to switch it on once and leave it and it will stay lit every time you turn the headlights on.

Last edited by 94Z28WP; 11-04-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:56 PM

The overlays i got don't appear to have any adhesive backing on them. Are they suppose to? or does the bezel hold the over lay in place? I've seen install guides of the plain white gauges and they are kind of like a decal but these reverse glows look like something that just sits on your dash it doesn't glue on. Also did you pull off your old black over lay or do you just lay this one on top of it. As i said i've never seen how you are suppose to install these reverse glows. One more thing does anyone know a reason why i can't just cut and splice the wires together for the on/off switch as i don't really want to have an on off switch in place.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:08 PM

You can lay them on top of the regular guages. With mine, if I tightened the screws around the outsides of the guages too tight when I put them it, it cause a slight rubbing on the tach needle. This was taken care of by just loosening that screw a little bit.

They should sit in place by themselves, but you could tape the edges if you wanted to. I don't see any reason why you couldn't leave them switched on, then have it wired to the headlights, so they would come on when the normal guages do.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by rlax31
You can lay them on top of the regular guages. With mine, if I tightened the screws around the outsides of the guages too tight when I put them it, it cause a slight rubbing on the tach needle. This was taken care of by just loosening that screw a little bit.

They should sit in place by themselves, but you could tape the edges if you wanted to. I don't see any reason why you couldn't leave them switched on, then have it wired to the headlights, so they would come on when the normal guages do.
Thanks guys, there were no instructions that came with them the last thing i want to is mess up my gauges and have them inaccurate or mess them up enough i have to go a week with out gauges while i get another overlay or something. I appreciate all the feedback and i'm sure i'll have no problem with them. Hell the interior is the only thing on my car that hasn't been disected yet everything else has. I'm sure i can figure it out.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:43 AM

I used to run in those in my ta and like them a lot, only problem i had with them is the needles would stick when it was cold for some reason. I have pics of them at the link listed in my sig.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:49 PM

I got mine off of ebay for $35 shipped!! They are the same 6 color changing ones. However I never use the shades of green. I keep it on blue all the time. They have black numbers though. Mine came with a tab that adjusts the brightness and the color. And the tab lights up the color that you are using!!. I just laid it right over the guages. I did not have to do anything with bulbs..

I did not remove the needles either. The needles are held by that tab when they are at rest, if you let them fall past the tabs that are on the bezel you may be in trouble. My gas needle is off by a quater of a tank. So be careful.

I have had them for over 2 1/2 years!! With not one problem. check the sig for daytime pics.

Last edited by Megalis; 11-06-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:04 AM

Megalis-I love your car, the color is perfect. I also love the hood, rims and red brakes. The only thing i would change is i would get some 97+ seat covers. I got my gauges installed, the ones i got came with a momentary on/off switch that there is no way you can delete it. I've tried. I just have to turn on the lights then hit the gauge switch thats hidden, but the gauges do go off with the lights so its not really a big deal. I guess its just another one of those compromises you have to make when you drive a modded car. Also for $30 shipped i can't really b!tch.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Megalis-I love your car, the color is perfect. I also love the hood, rims and red brakes. The only thing i would change is i would get some 97+ seat covers. I got my gauges installed, the ones i got came with a momentary on/off switch that there is no way you can delete it. I've tried. I just have to turn on the lights then hit the gauge switch thats hidden, but the gauges do go off with the lights so its not really a big deal. I guess its just another one of those compromises you have to make when you drive a modded car. Also for $30 shipped i can't really b!tch.
After seeing your car I know why you are partial to the hood, rims and brakes

Well as far as the seat covers go, I am going to get the 98+ leather seat covers all around. This was to just hold me over to about spring of next year because there are other things I wanted to do first performance wise. For $69 for the pair I don't think they are too bad. But I am getting ready to go outside and do some more appearance stuff under the hood (I am being cheap right now) to spice it up even more. Thanks for the comments on the color and yours is nice as well. My favorite color for cars has always been black. I don't think it gets any better, IMO.

But it's just the damn maintenance. You have to be on top of it all the time to keep it clean. I did change the door handles and will post a thread later to show them here and see what you guys think.

Your guages came out nice. I love those blue numbers!!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:17 PM

Well I have had the all blue/green gauges and the reverse that I have on now. The all indiglo kind get on your nerves after a while. And you should be able to run the wires to your headlight switch to come on like they were stock. Here are picutes of mine. The are on ebay and were $60 and are now like $30. Was a good deal when I got them though.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/245983/3
Old 11-13-2004, 04:54 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWN:IT
is this one the same one you guys were talking about?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloGT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWN:IT
is this one the same one you guys were talking about?
Those are the same exact ones I just got in the mail today from the same guy except 98-02! Anyone besides Brent have a install guide for a 98-02 camaro dash? And has anyone tried splicing the on-off switch either?

-Travis
Old 11-20-2004, 02:56 PM

FWIW, I bought those exact guages from Ebay, and I was going to post a pic of them at night but I seem to have lost it.

I'll say this though, I really like them. The only part I'm not crazy about is the fact that at night, the spots for the blinkers, warning lights, etc. really stand out because they're black against that lit background. But in the daytime.....forget about it.

Other than that, they look great and I have no problems. If you need a good night shot, I'll go take another pic and post it. Otherwise, I thought they were worth the money.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by silv3rsw33t
And has anyone tried splicing the on-off switch either?

-Travis
If you would read my post a few above yours you would see i answered that question.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?