Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 PM

Re: Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?

Originally Posted by Silvershark
So I assume you did not remove your stock overlay? How is the lighting source hooked into the gauges to allow them to glow? I am very curious how they light these gauges up.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1787/gauge_over_lay.jpg

There is a link to the overlay and the way it wires up. Tied up in the bundle is a red wire for power and a black wire for ground both run straight into the inverter. The Blue Arrows plug in together and the Green's plug in together. I left the old overlay on the gauge cluster, as that is what was suggested to me. I did take my old cluster and cut out the ses light and odometer section which are black and put them on top of my new white gauges. I circled the area's i'm talking about in black. If you look at my gauges installed vs the ones i pictured you will see what i mean. Adding the black parts looks so much better.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:37 PM

Ok cool. Thats how I thought it wired up.

I will check it out as soon as I get mine. Also, Megalis do you have a picture of just your gauge cluster area? I wanna see how yours turned out. It looks like you have a brushed bezel as well.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:17 PM

Where can i get a trans am benzel and how much are they?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 PM

Ok, So my gauges were shipped out on the 15th but I have not gotten any tracking info yet to see where they are in transit. However, I was thinking about this at work and I was really suprised that it didnt hit me sooner.

If that switch is a momentary switch you should be able to bypass it super easy. So simple I just wasn't thinking correctly. If I am understanding this correctly this is how we want our gauges hooked up.

You want to tap into the headlight wiring so that when you turn your lights on your gauges come on.

The way they currently work is that you have to turn your lights on and then you are able to turn on your gauges with the provided switch..?

If this is the scenario this is what needs to be done.

Remove the switch that is provided. DO NOT remove the power inverter. More than likely this power inverter is there for the special type of lights they use to backlight the gauges. (Usually florescent or leds require this.)

You now go ahead and put a relay in place of the switch. This relay will then turn the gauges on automatically when you flip your headlight switch to the on position.

When you take the switch apart and you have your relay that you purchased from Radio Shack or where you MUST put the wires that you took off of the switch onto the contacts on the relay in the exact manner as they were wired into the switch. This will make sure that the relay works properly.

Thats it in a nutshell. I believe the relay runs for around 5-10 dollars. Much worth the cost IMO for the headache of one more un-needed switch.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:46 PM

When you get it would you mind taking some pics so those of us that arnt electricians?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:49 PM

Actually... I dont have a digital camera. Although I do have a digital camcorder. I will take a video, "Wiring Camaro Gauges 101". I will do it on my desk so that it will have a very easy to see background so you can see everything that I am doing.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:31 PM

How long did it take for you to recieve the overlays? I just ordered some last satarday from the same place. Thanks Alan
Old 12-22-2004, 09:08 PM

It took 4 days to get to me. I have been lazy and havent taken any footage yet. Though you can get the relay at any shcucks, napa, autozone. Just ask for a regular relay. They should be in the electrical section by the switches. They usually sell for 7 bucks. All the places I have checked so far have been sold out. Need to look around more.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silvershark
It took 4 days to get to me. I have been lazy and havent taken any footage yet. Though you can get the relay at any shcucks, napa, autozone. Just ask for a regular relay. They should be in the electrical section by the switches. They usually sell for 7 bucks. All the places I have checked so far have been sold out. Need to look around more.

I thought the relays have like 3 or 4 ends on it to connect to. I wouldn't know how to wire it up. I was gonna rewire mine but in the next week or two i'll be replacing my whole dash with a TA dash so its not worth trying this wiring mod on.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:27 PM

ok i got mine and installed them today. they look real good. mine has no on/off switch just a dimmer and a blue/green switch. Why cant i run my power from the 5amp fuse in the fuse pannel? Thats the dimmer and i have been using it for years for the power for the lights on my other gauges.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alan566
ok i got mine and installed them today. they look real good. mine has no on/off switch just a dimmer and a blue/green switch. Why cant i run my power from the 5amp fuse in the fuse pannel? Thats the dimmer and i have been using it for years for the power for the lights on my other gauges.

who said that you couldn't? that's how mine are hooked up.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:25 PM

in step 8 of the instructions it says (DO NOT USE YOUR FACTORY DIMMER FOR A POWER SOURCE) This would result in a failure to light your glo-gauges or burn them out completely.
I connected the red wire to the acc and then to the dimmer and it was just as bright so i left it connected to the dimmer but only have had it on for a few sec so far. Alan
Old 03-04-2005, 12:23 PM

Im going to install these today since its failry warm out. I took the overlays to a guy i knew at a audo shop and asked him how to get rid of that temperory switch.

**** i though i found the answer, but it was a fluke, the two wires must have touched some metal to turn it on

Last edited by gt_biker13; 03-04-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:09 PM

In retrospect, I don't think mine came w/the on/off switch either. And for power, I just tapped into the switch behind the headlight control so they automatically just come on when I turn my headlights on. I love 'em.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 PM

I got it to work now So i took some pics that i hope will help anyone with the same problem.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...uages004sm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ages002smv.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...uages005sm.jpg

If you have any questions just send me a message or email

Quick Reply: Anyone ever try these Ebay white face gauge overlays?