Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anyone swap a 1993-'96 dash for a '97+?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 02:50 PM

Anyone swap a 1993-'96 dash for a '97+?

I haven't looked into this to see if all of the connections will match but an wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade to the newer dash?
Old 02-04-2003, 02:55 PM

Re: Anyone swap a 1993-'96 dash for a '97+?

Originally posted by tbyrne
I haven't looked into this to see if all of the connections will match but an wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade to the newer dash?
damn, I shouldve asked this question when I was doing my LS1 front end conversion... I needed a new dash because my airbags deployed... so I ended up buying the 93-96 one(havent installed it yet though)...I think the 97-02 dashes look alot better! Does anyone know if this is an easy swap?I know it can be done because Ive seen a 3rd gen with a 97+ interior swap... but I want to know if it can be easily done. Because I might just sell the one I bought and go that route.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:58 PM

I would love to have the dash of the 97+,

would be best of both worlds, the look of lt1 maro's and hte interior of hte ls1's.

Well, the 97's, they have the new dashs', so why wouldnt it be possible.

can anyone confirm?
Old 02-04-2003, 03:20 PM

It is very possible...
Call and talk to Scott at Speed Automotive for what you need. Toll Free = 1-800-368-0116. Or local (for me ) is 423-614-8888.

He can sell you everything and give you the exact info you need. But I am sure he would appreciate it if you only called him if you are serious...
Old 02-04-2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
It is very possible...
Call and talk to Scott at Speed Automotive for what you need. Toll Free = 1-800-368-0116. Or local (for me ) is 423-614-8888.

He can sell you everything and give you the exact info you need. But I am sure he would appreciate it if you only called him if you are serious...
Yea, thats who I bought my 93-96 Dash from... i should have asked him about the new dash... I havent even taken it outta the crate yet though, so maybe he will let me return it for an exchange..not likely, but Im gonna call him
Old 02-04-2003, 05:07 PM

am i the only one who likes the 93-96 dash better? i think the 97+ dash looks cheaper w/the 2 square vents in the center, i do like how it says "camaro" on the dash though. i think the older dash conforms better with the vents that wernt so...... Square, and i like the two vents on the outside of the gauge panel. sounds like many of you disagree, but i think that the longer gm made the camaro, the more money they would try and save by having cheaper interiors.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:14 PM

If they worked on 97 Lt1 cars I can not see why it wouldn't work on an LT1 car. How ever the only thing that would keep me from doing it is, that the miles wont be correct. I like Jon94Zs interior, when I rode in Ryans car I liked how he had a scan master in that dash vent.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:09 AM

If wiring doesnt scare ya . The dash cores mount the same , so your issues would be with wiring . You'd need to extend the fog light wires to the center of the dash above the radio , with that done the existing headlight connector should directly plug into the 97 style headlight/dimmer switch . Radio should be a non-issue as what you have will mount the same ~or use the new style radio with your old connectors . Hvac controls would be "somewhat" easy . The fan ****( far left **** ) in your car now would use the same connector as the 97 Hvac would , but the hot/cold **** (center ) and the settings **** ( far right **** ) would "possibly" take a different connector . I say that because at some point GM made a change to those 2 connectors and I do believe it was in 97 . ( fwiw - I am using 2001 camaro Hvac controls in my 95 Trans am and the connectors Im talking about are different ) If thats the case for u , an easy solution ( this is what I did for mine ) swap out those 2 ***** ( the whole **** including the shaft ) from yours and transfer them to the 97 hvac . Its VERY easy , there just held in with a couple screws on the back of the Hvac controls . Then you could use your existing plugs and all would be good . The light harness for the Hvac from your car will plug directly into the new one . 97 also incorporates the rear defogger button into the Hvac panel , but its wiring is separate . So you would need to splice your existing defogger wires into the switch on the hvac . All sounds complicated , but really IMO its easy chit

The only other issue I might see is the Guage cluster connector being different .....but I would have to about gaurantee the connectors are the same and just wired accordingly per model . You probably would already know this ....The only cluster that will work for you is a 97 LT1 cluster . An LS1 cluster will not read correctly , unless you know how to manipulate the signals that are sent to it . I had a 97 TA cluster in my 95 . All worked as should with the exception of the tach which was off 300 rpms . Hmmm , not much more than the 95 cluster The Digital ODO worked as it should and I did verify that . If you dont have traction control , youll have to pull the TCS bulb from the cluster or it will be always lit up . Lighting , signal lights and all the idiot lights worked as well .

If the A-piller plastic pieces arent coming with the dash , ya prolly already know this one too...they are the same as any 93-02 firebird .

Airbag connections for the passenger bag "if" your keeping it will be the same . I dont know this for sure , but using GM logic , the pass. bag from the old dash is the same bag as the new dash style has .

Like I said , if ya dont mind a lil wiring
Old 02-05-2003, 10:28 AM

Thumbs up

Wow, I might just do it anyway now I too have been looking at doing this, I already have the console, and it would be nice to have a working trip odometer again

It's been a while since ive talked to scott. How much is the price for everything needed for the swap?
Old 02-05-2003, 04:11 PM

I'm going to have a '98 SS for a parts car and might do the dash swap if I have time. Thanks for pointing out the dash issue. I didn't even think about that. Could always swap the dash and then get a '97 cluster. The car has a blown airbag so I'd have to find one of those also.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by tbyrne
I'm going to have a '98 SS for a parts car and might do the dash swap if I have time. Thanks for pointing out the dash issue. I didn't even think about that. Could always swap the dash and then get a '97 cluster. The car has a blown airbag so I'd have to find one of those also.
well I dont think the dash will work for you if the airbags are blown. Well in my car when the airbags blew, the passenger side one ripped apart the dash to sht. Also broke the windshield too..what Im trying to say is that I couldnt replace just the airbags, I had to get a whole new dash. The airbag doesnt tear out very neatly, like i said it destroyed the dash on deployment
Old 02-06-2003, 10:29 AM

Just an update...

For everyone inquiring about the dash swap, I just got off the phone with Scott at speedautomotive, for everything needed to do the swap it will run $400. And for the A Pillars they're $40 for a ttop car and $50 for a hardtop car.

EDIT: The $400 does not include a stock radio.

Last edited by Bryan Smith; 02-06-2003 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:18 AM

Re: Just an update...

Originally posted by Bryan Smith
For everyone inquiring about the dash swap, I just got off the phone with Scott at speedautomotive, for everything needed to do the swap it will run $400. And for the A Pillars they're $40 for a ttop car and $50 for a hardtop car.

EDIT: The $400 does not include a stock radio.
Not too bad for you fellas wanting to do it.

Bryan, your car looks just like this "Bawls" guy that used to hang around here... Didn't like the name no more???
Old 02-07-2003, 10:08 AM

Re: Re: Just an update...

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
Not too bad for you fellas wanting to do it.

Bryan, your car looks just like this "Bawls" guy that used to hang around here... Didn't like the name no more???
Yea, got tired of it.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:18 PM

I bought a LS1 gauge cluster but I have a 97 LT1 , I think everything will work the same except maybe the tach , was I wrong ?

Quick Reply: Anyone swap a 1993-'96 dash for a '97+?