Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Best way to tint my 93's taillights???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:17 AM

Arrow Best way to tint my 93's taillights???

I live in Cali and i know there are a **** load of tint rules and so im looking for ways to tint them but still be legal. What can someone suggest?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:14 AM

Re: Best way to tint my 93's taillights???

any tinting is technically illegal. if you do it lightly, you may not get pulled over, but itll still be illegal.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM

ya it is illegal... at least here in missouri... but i still did mine i did 1 coat of nightshade but i made the mistake of not putting clearcoat over that. im not a fan of "blacked out" but i like it to be somewhat darker. 1 coat of nightshade was good enough for my liking but if you put clearcoat over it it gives it a shiney look
Old 07-19-2011, 12:55 AM

Ok thanks guys. i just don't know what will be the best looking way to tint them.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 AM

So, let's see- you have these warning devices in the rear of your car to keep people from hitting you when you slow down or stop- and there are plenty of inattentive drivers and even drunks out there, and you want to make the warnings on the back of your car LESS visible? Why? I bet if someone rear-ended you, and you had illegally tinted brake lights, they could successfully argue that it was YOUR fault for giving them inadequate warning that you were slowing. Sounds like a plan alright to me....
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM

im going to argue, though unsuccessfully, that tinting done right can actually help safety. my tail lights are very lightly tinted (some models have them just as dark from the factory). The light when i hit the brakes is essentially just as bright as with stock lights. however, with stock lights, the person behind me would see the red from my lights turn brighter. with slightly smoked lights, they see the crimson turn to red. wont lie, i tinted my lights because i wanted to, not because of safety, but it makes a bit of sense, doesnt it?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM

yesh in cali its illegal for tinting the lights, id say just get some vinyl for it off ebay and then u can take it off easy if u get stopped for it and dont have to wetsand you lights like crazy.

but the best looking way to do it would be a professional painter mixing black in clear coat and spraying them for you. all the nightshades ive seen personally r more purpleish and satin and honestly havent looked good --ALTHOUGH i have seen some great looking nightshades jobs on the net but your gonna need clear over the top. the shops here charge like 50 bucks a set of lights to tint them and they turn out excellent...nightshades is like 20 bucks, so id say just spend a lil extra
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 PM

I got a set of tinted 97-02 tail lights for sale
....just buy em swap em out...and if cops get on you..swap back to stock haha
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by vangill
the shops here charge like 50 bucks a set of lights to tint them and they turn out excellent...nightshades is like 20 bucks, so id say just spend a lil extra
i spent ~$13 to tint both my lights and a friends, and didnt even use half of the stuff. id say it turned out rather well. itll take a bit more polishing to get a good shine, but its possible
Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 AM

Mix some clear with a bit of black paint and test spray until ur liking, its really easy, looks good and still very visible. also if you get in trouble with man, the paint will come off easlly with paint remover.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 PM

ive been running around with lightly tented tails for about a year now and never had the long dick of the law anywhere near me
Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 AM

You can buy a VHT tint spray at your local auto parts store. Like others have said if you do it make sure not to go dark. I'd rather my car look "stupid" than get rear ended. Especially if you're found at fault because the driver behind you didn't know you were stopping.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 PM

VHT nightshades its a rattlecan made specifically made for taillights..as far as geting pulled over as long as the light shines through you will be fine, ive tinted all my taillights on all my cars and never had a problem with inspection or getting pulled over. as far as doing them use 2000 grit sandpaper to sand em down and then lightly do a few coats then sand down again and then use a clear coat, if you want it real shiny take some headlight restoration stuff and it will buff them up real shiny just like the stock ones but smoked or black..check mine out in my garage i did them a little too dark but still came out good, you could also just get covers and take them on an off but they look cheesy
Old 10-05-2011, 10:19 PM

those look real good! and if you can take some time and DIY it beats spending 100$ on a set!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM

i have mine tint and i live in cali no problems whatsoever......do it i recommend vht spray

Quick Reply: Best way to tint my 93's taillights???