Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

better LT1 T/A headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by ronin013
so i saw 2 people mention this company hella, and it isnt the first time ive heard the name so maybe i'll go with them. i just admire the lights newer BMWs have they are so wierd to stare at while driving.

i think first ill try to find a setup with the foglights thats brighter then the normal lights, that doesnt melt or anything, then ill do the headlights. my lights are actually in good shape as far as life and adjustment, but its like when i have the hi beams on my friend's brand new truck is still way brighter and wider pattern without hi beams. we joke that its always daytime directly in front of his truck no matter what time of day, i want lights like that
What I described in my post is basically taking the next step with those BMW headlights... those are mostly 38W Bi-Xenon projector headlights...
Old 11-10-2003, 11:39 AM

having trouble finding sites that sell H4 light kits for birds i keep getting ricer sites or homemade pages :dunno: i know there are no stores around here that have stuff like that
Old 11-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
the 4200K HID bulbs have actually been proven to light up the road better than the higher K bulbs...
Correct... I think you misunderstood my post.

The link was to a 8000k kit, and I recommended staying with a lower number. The 4200k kits are pretty hard to find these days(not that popular).
Old 11-10-2003, 04:13 PM

yea, not popular because they light up the road better.. gotta love ingorant people...

I Love the new 50 Watters we just got in at work... just released by Phillips...

A typical 38W HID = ~3000 lumens

the 50's we just got in >5000 lumens...

4 of those on the front of my car come spring time
Old 11-10-2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
I Love the new 50 Watters we just got in at work... just released by Phillips...

A typical 38W HID = ~3000 lumens

the 50's we just got in >5000 lumens...

4 of those on the front of my car come spring time
so where do you work and how could i get some of those bulbs? although first i need to change some other stuff.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:02 PM

right now you can't...

they're only D2S bulbs (not H4), and they're only on limited release to certian suppliers... I don;t know when they'll hit the public market...

I work at Luminescent Systems Inc, we make Aircraft Lighting products, we've got them in for testing of new HID landing light systems...

The bulb, ballast, and ingitor (sp?) costs about $260 a set, and that with buying them by the case (18 in a case).

NE wayz HID headlights will be out within 3 years.. LED systems will be taking over.. hell, Cadi had a working set for it's new XLR (the one sharing a platform with the vette, I believe that's it?), but the styling division shot it down, it didn't fit the "style"...
Old 11-10-2003, 05:07 PM

Here is a color comparison.. I don't think everyone is ignorant just because they want a better looking color temp... I think most us know exactly what we are getting.

http://www.mccullochhid.com/pics/comparison.jpg
Old 11-10-2003, 06:59 PM

Better looking is a judgement... personal preference..

I was talking performance wise...

but then again in this modern day and age most things are based on looks... not always performance...
Old 11-12-2003, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by ronin013
having trouble finding sites that sell H4 light kits for birds i keep getting ricer sites or homemade pages :dunno: i know there are no stores around here that have stuff like that
www.summitracing.com
in the ricer section get the 4x6 lens that is made to accept the h-4 bulb then get a h-4 plug and splice it i have it and they work great
Old 11-14-2003, 11:18 PM

I just got done reading all of these replies, and I was wondering what the best setup is to use?? I checked on stylinconcepts.com and looked at their H4 conversion kit. The size is 4x6" and is this what I will need to get?? Also, what size light bulb is everyone using for this setup?? If someone could help me decide which setup to get, I would greatly appreciate it.

Brian
Old 11-15-2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Camaro90RS
I just got done reading all of these replies, and I was wondering what the best setup is to use?? I checked on stylinconcepts.com and looked at their H4 conversion kit. The size is 4x6" and is this what I will need to get?? Also, what size light bulb is everyone using for this setup?? If someone could help me decide which setup to get, I would greatly appreciate it.

Brian
None of the previously mentioned. You can buy GM made export assemblies for the 93-97 birds. They are a true glass lens, have better reflective qualities and cut off angles than its american counterpart. They also feature the ability to switch only bulbs (H-7) since they are not a sealed housing. Curt, can't recall his screen name, of this board has been using them on his bird for about 3 years now I believe. He can verify their worth as he informed me back then of his findings.

Unless you do a custom made one-off HID headlight assembly. This should incorporate a proper cut-off, projector designed for the burners, and if possible autoleveling to make the most of this investment.

Last edited by Wraith; 11-15-2003 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:15 AM

The Hella housings feature the European reflectors and have that very destintive cut-off. That means that you have the ability to use a higher wattage bulb and not get people flashing the high beams at you all of the time. If you do a search on http://www.ws6zxr.com/ you'll find out what people think of them. They are the best and most simple option that I know of. There is no difficult wiring, no risk of melting current wires and the light pattern is a HUGE improvement over the stock 'crap'. As I stated previously, the Hella kit comes w/ a wiring adapter so it's basically a plug and play application. If you have the $$ for a HID kit and want to spend all of that time wiring...go for it. If not, I'd look into the Hella kits or check out the possibility of these GM made European style housings.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Wraith
None of the previously mentioned. You can buy GM made export assemblies for the 93-97 birds. They are a true glass lens, have better reflective qualities and cut off angles than its american counterpart. They also feature the ability to switch only bulbs (H-7) since they are not a sealed housing. Curt, can't recall his screen name, of this board has been using them on his bird for about 3 years now I believe. He can verify their worth as he informed me back then of his findings.

Unless you do a custom made one-off HID headlight assembly. This should incorporate a proper cut-off, projector designed for the burners, and if possible autoleveling to make the most of this investment.
Couple of questions.

1. Where can I get GM Export assembly's? I followed the link on your page, but it says they have moved.

2. Where can I get a qaulity Bi-Xenon HID kit at?

3. what does everyone think of the PIAA 610 HID Foglight? Will it fit on an LT1 T/A ?
Old 11-21-2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by jakef2003
Couple of questions.

1. Where can I get GM Export assembly's? I followed the link on your page, but it says they have moved.
You can get them from any GM parts department, provided they are still being made or still in stock somewhere. You will have to request the e-code lens or export. Sorry, I no longer have the part numbers.

2. Where can I get a qaulity Bi-Xenon HID kit at?
You can't. Your only option is to take an assembly from a Mercedes or other car that comes factory equipped and make a reto-fit for your car.

3. what does everyone think of the PIAA 610 HID Foglight? Will it fit on an LT1 T/A ?
They will provide awesome light output and should be an easy replacement for the stock lens. They are similar in dimensions to the old 510 lamp Piaa offered without the lens guard and they fit fine. If you didn't already know, they run about $1,300 for the 610's