Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Can anyone Fabricate me a Switch Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:12 AM

Can anyone Fabricate me a Switch Panel?

I have a project coming up but I'm going to need a switch panel that will perfectly fit the Center Consoles Den. (Little Cubby Hole thing right infront of the shifter.) I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who could fabricate me a Switch Panel, Carbon Fiber or even Clear Coat would be accepted. The problem is, I don't have access to a Dremel and I believe the accuracy needed would be better succeeded by someone else.

I have the picture below...

Edit: I forgot to mention that I will be willing to pay the cost for anyone on the board who is capable of doing it + shipping.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-28-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:57 PM

Re: Can anyone Fabricate me a Switch Panel?

Is the cubby hole the same size on the Camaro as it is on the Firebird/Trans Am? If it is, then you are trying to put alot of items in a very small spot, not saying it cannot be done. I could make this up for you, out of mild steel, aluminum, or maybe perhaps whip up some fiberglass. Give me some dimensions, maybe what type of switches you wanted to use, indicator lights if any of the holes are for that, and any other information you might think I need, and let me see what I can do. try to be as precise as possible, and if the cubby holes are the same, then no worries on the measurements, I have a spare console for a stick car sitting in the garage to work with! Jason
Old 12-29-2005, 01:25 PM

it wouldn't be hard to make, but you maybe putting too much in one space; in thinking about the actual size of the switches that you want to use.

First pick out the switches, then see if you can fit it all in that space.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
it wouldn't be hard to make, but you maybe putting too much in one space; in thinking about the actual size of the switches that you want to use.

First pick out the switches, then see if you can fit it all in that space.
Good Idea, I'll try that first however I need to see what switches / relays would be capable of handling how much power...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:08 PM

That's what I would do. I always try and pick the switches that I want to use first, then lay out a panel.

Honestly, whenever I make my switch panels, I honestly always use smaller low rated switches and make a seperate "relay module" where I mount and wire in all the relays that I need to make the low-power switches operate the higher current items.

Check out www.digikey.com , www.newark.com , www.mouser.com, www.alliedelec.com as starting places for switches and relays.

Also you can look into connectors there. What I typically do as well is make the switch panel with the low-power switches all wire into a single or couple connectors so I can unplug the panel easially and keep everything clean. Then just have that plug into the relay module where all your "normal" power is.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
That's what I would do. I always try and pick the switches that I want to use first, then lay out a panel.

Honestly, whenever I make my switch panels, I honestly always use smaller low rated switches and make a seperate "relay module" where I mount and wire in all the relays that I need to make the low-power switches operate the higher current items.

Check out www.digikey.com , www.newark.com , www.mouser.com, www.alliedelec.com as starting places for switches and relays.

Also you can look into connectors there. What I typically do as well is make the switch panel with the low-power switches all wire into a single or couple connectors so I can unplug the panel easially and keep everything clean. Then just have that plug into the relay module where all your "normal" power is.
Whoa, looks like there was a bit more involved than I at first thought. Can I get a clue as to what kind of Relay I should be searching for? General Purpose? Would about any Relay do the trick or is there certain ones I should be looking at? I'm trying to power an Master Switch which will carry power to all devices, an XM Roady 2 Radio, 2 Neons per Switch / Relay (A SET of 4 total so thats 4 switches / relays dedicated to them), Manual Fan and Water Pump which I believe come with their own relays. Anyway each switch / device will have a seperate relay of course but... How on earth do I figure out how much power I'll need and how much that specific relay can handle? What I should ask, is what exactly am I looking for?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:26 AM

look for automotive relays; they only really come in 30 amp or 30/40 amp versions which is more than enough for just about everything in the car.

It only more involved because it makes things easier in the long run. I've done switch panel installs on street cars where everything was just hooked up. In honestly after it being installed after 3 years, and going back into it to rewire or install something else, re-figuring out the wiring is a bear. I've found that this is a little more $$, and a little more involved in the begining, but in the long run, it's a much safer, more reliable, and easier to modify in the future setup.

One of those things where you spend the time now or spend 3X the time later type deals.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:26 PM

Here's what I think:

First, I wouldn't do the master switch, it will add another relay and the associated wiring/complexity/headaches. Plus, I always wire relays on the + side to keep the length of the constant power wire as short as possible. The fan relays use the ground though.
Make sure sure the WP has a dedicated relay- it can pull a lot of current on startup. A 30-40 amp relay will be plenty. They usually don't come with one.
Fans already have their own relays. The dual fan setup actually has 3. The fans run in series for low speed and parallel for high speed.
The radio really won't need a relay.
The lights will unless they have a provisions for a switch built in.
I would use the same type of relay for everything just to make life easy. Buy replacements at the same time so you don't have to hunt them down later. They last pretty much forever though.
Make sure everything has in-line fuses.

After you find the switches you are going to use lay out a pattern. A dremel will work OK if your'e carefull but a drill will be 10 times faster and give better results. Making one out of aluminum will be cheaper and much easier to have done than carbon.

I might be able to make one for you after you get it figured out. Drop me a line but I can't guarentee anything since I'm overworked as it is. It won't be carbon but I can do fiberglass or aluminum.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:40 PM

if no one else will do it for you ill do it just shoot me a pm