Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Changing color of interior lights on 2001 T/A ... can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 02:57 PM

Post Changing color of interior lights on 2001 T/A ... can it be done?

Well, I love the T/A, and even though I thought I wouldn't like the Pontiac red lighting scheme inside, it really isn't too bad. But, I liked the blue lighting in my Z28 a lot better, especially with the dimmer set just enough to barely turn them on.

I want to put a white faced gauge cluster in the dash and it has blue "indiglo" backlighting, which is what I want. However, I'm afraid that it will clash with the red lighting elsewhere in the cockpit.

So, my question ... is it possible to change the interior lighting to another color? Are the lights clear with something red inbetween them and me? Or are the lights actually red, in which case I can just easily swap them to a different color (blue)?

Thanks for everyone's help.

------------------
2001 TransAm WS6, M6 3.42
HPP, TBB, 160* t-stat, MTI Lid, Holley PowerShot, Flowmaster 80, Port/Polish MAF

www.BlackWS6.com

2001 Z28
-- R.I.P. - 06/25/02
Old 08-09-2002, 03:33 PM

The steering wheel Radio controls are Red LEDs. So I'm sure you could pull it apart and soldier a different color on to the Circuit board.

I have no Idea about the HVAC Control's Lights.

------------------
Rick

'65 Malibu SS - 280rwhp/330ftlbs
'98 Camaro Z28 - 318rwhp/334ftlbs - Sold 7-18-02
'02 TransAm - Brand new No dyno Yet

D-flo lid, GMS, Hotchkis STB, Hurst B+
Bat-CaveOnline
Old 08-10-2002, 01:21 AM

I tried this before and after a lot of headaches i just decided to give up.... The HVAC and Light Dimmer displays can be changed but you need new overlays to do this, the red color is actually on the glued on display piece.. I have not found any yet that will glow blue at night, the steering wheel controls are easy to change, you might be able to rig a blue light in the door handle backplate... I tried to change the color of my shift indicator and messed it up so i had to buy a new one.. Changing the interior glow scheme can be done but it will take a lot of time, fabricating and rigging and some of the things you may have to try will not be very cheap to replace..... At first i figured there may be a few red bulbs or regular bulbs with color sleeves on this and it turns out only the steeringwheel controls are this way, all of the other red glow comes from the actual pieces and parts
but good luck.. if you do it, lemme know, i really want to do mine, just dont feel like putting in more time or money
Old 08-11-2002, 10:31 PM

Question

Are your gauge lights red or is the gauge plastic red?
Old 08-11-2002, 11:22 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AW/whiteZ-28:
Are your gauge lights red or is the gauge plastic red?</font>

I dunno ... that's why I put this post in the forum.

Old 08-12-2002, 10:10 AM

Well the guages would be easy . ALOT of the companies who sell whiteface guages use the pontiac script in the 97-02 Camaro's for some reason . Just buy White face guages for a Camaro the same year as your TA . That one solved . For the HVAC you can use the HVAC unit from a camaro , you could probably get away with a 00-02 Monsoon camaro head unit as well . For the light that shines down on the window switches , that is just a tiny red window the light shines thru you could just remove that . I think all that leaves is the fog light button and the backlighting where the lights are , I dont have a clue there .

------------------
Derek 95 Trans Am convertible
K&N fipk , CSI h20 pump , hooker lt's , mufflex 4" , LT1edit , ET streets , 373's , !A/C , !smog
Best Et 12.771@106.89
Best 60ft. 1.820
MTI/GTP stage 3 LT4 heads , cc306 , hyra-rev , 1.6's , r lifters , full manual 700r4 , ST3500 verter , roll bar and more all in the garage waiting for install .
92 Z28 - 5.7/G92 , stock daily driver
Old 08-12-2002, 10:43 AM

Yeah, I got to looking at it last night.

The steering wheel controls are a red LED from what I understand. The light controls and HVAC controls could be swiped from a junked Camaro. The gauges I want already light blue (which is the reason I want to change everything else) The door illumination is just a red filter and I can install a blue gel instead. ASR would possibly have to stay the same, but is no biggie since it's tucked down behind the shifter.

That just leaves the radio ... ditch it and install an aftermarket head unit and I'm done ... a completely blue cockpit. It really isn't going to be as hard as I thought it would. Now, if I decide to keep the OEM head unit .... then I'll have to crack it open and make a new plate.