Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

changing lightbulb color in the instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 10:01 PM

changing lightbulb color in the instrument panel

Well, just for kicks I changed the 7 gauge bulbs in my instrument cluster from a dingy yellow/white to a blue using a blue colored bulbs (package said colored glass but they were really painted (dammit))
Any how it looks rather good. I little dimmer than expected but ok to say the least. I didnt solder the bulbs to the plastic retainers (if you''ve ever taken the back of the gauge cluster apart you know what I mean) in case I want to change them within the next few weeks.
Questions for all with experience in this:

1. If I were to go to a fully color impregnated glass bulb would it result in a more vibrant, brighter panel? I noticed that MacEwan has "xeon blue krypton bulbs at a reasonable price, has anyone used these and what are your opinions?

2. This is going to sound cheesy but here it goes. I'm impressed with the VW passat intrument panel design, the blue color is an eye catcher. Would the above mentiioned xeon blue prypton bulbs come close? What would be the best options to achieve the same results?

3. I know I can change the smaller HVAC control bulbs, has anyone seen colored versions of these?

4. And lastly, can the light switch, dimmer and fog light switch bulbs be changed out as well.

I know there are indiglo and reverse indiglo gauge overlays out there right now. To tell you the truth I like the idea, however the ones available for 95 z's all have an annoying halo around the tach and speedometer, plus the whole panel (warning light sections and all are white. I really like the MacEwan setup where just the gauges are white and the warning light sections are left black... (Damn, just sitting here writing about this make me want to order those Macewan overlays.... )

Anyhow, any thoughts on the subject are appreciated. Any good quality pics of installed overlay would help as well..
Old 11-11-2002, 03:16 PM

Once to the top..
Old 11-12-2002, 08:11 AM

I did this to my 97 z and i didnt have to solder anything. the lights have a twist connector and may need to be forced in a ccw rotation. the dimmer switch cant be replaced with colored bulbs that i know of because i couldnt find the bulb. the radio is a pain to replace bulbs in and would suggest the sony flip face radio to match. the hvac lights i couldnt find colored replacements for either. my friend told me to use a blue sharpie and "paint" the bulbs. i worked just like the 197B bulbs from anywhere.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:58 AM

i think the lights in the 95's were a little different than in the 97's the bulbs were installed in a black plastic twist connect, but the bulb terminal ends were tack welded or soldered to the terminal connections. What a pain to remove!!
Old 11-12-2002, 01:05 PM

I colored my headlight and HVAC lights with a blue Sharpie marker. It looked okay for about one day before it burned off.

-Eric H
Old 11-12-2002, 02:19 PM

catsnet put led's in his instrument panel...you can see find them on e-Bay...just do a search for 194 LED's...they have them in blue and white, maybe some other colors, that's just what I've seen. Anyways, they are very bright, and it looks very good.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Eric H
I colored my headlight and HVAC lights with a blue Sharpie marker. It looked okay for about one day before it burned off.

-Eric H
LMAO MARKER
Old 11-12-2002, 11:10 PM

Smile

Leds are the best way
After 4 different sets I decided to go with the pricy bulbs and I love it
Realy bright and the best thing they will not faid.
If anyone wants pics - email me and I'll send them to you

Alex
Old 11-13-2002, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by cobra2550
LMAO MARKER
I had the whole dash ripped apart to paint it and put blue bulbs in the gauges. I figured I might as well attempt to do something with the rest of the bulbs...

-Eric H