Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Check out my Homemade Fuel Rail Covers...Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 11:10 AM
96z

------------------
96 black Z28 A4
GTP heads, GTP cam, bolt ons...
Mattucci Motorsports WNYFA FLFB
So far...12.7@108...need more practice...
The Z
Old 08-06-2002, 07:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by akrott1:
[B]I made these fuel rail covers....check them out and let me know what you think?

http://community.webshots.com/album/45333320FWBvrm

They are made out of 1/16" aluminum that I cut on my bandsaw and formed with a 2x4 and a rubber mallet to give them some shape. A coat of gloss black ceramic engine paint and a pair of camaro stickers, courtesy of ZGRAPHICS (Toledo)....I think they turned out pretty good.

Also, any suggestions on more engine bay improvements?...I am thinking about doing a similiar thing to the radiator shroud, also in gloss black with a large red Z28 on it.

I'm in for a set for sure

Old 08-08-2002, 02:31 PM

Talking

[B]I made these fuel rail covers....check them out and let me know what you think?

They are made out of 1/16" aluminum that I cut on my bandsaw and formed with a 2x4 and a rubber mallet to give them some shape. A coat of gloss black ceramic engine paint and a pair of camaro stickers, courtesy of ZGRAPHICS (Toledo)....I think they turned out pretty good.

Also, any suggestions on more engine bay improvements?...I am thinking about doing a similiar thing to the radiator shroud, also in gloss black with a large red Z28 on it.

OK Guys we allscreamed we want some of these. The man is going out on limb getting the blanks laser cut and then forming them to fit good himself. All of us who said we want them need to support him now. Let him know you will spend a little. Then start planning how you are goin to make them look for your ride.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:50 PM

Thumbs up

Not sure why Chris closed the post I had going in the For Sale section, but I guess we will get this one going again...I think I have enough people willing to commit to buying them, although I am waiting for a few more return emails to make sure. I am going to try to order the materials next week. Please if you are interested in a set of these covers and have not already emailed me, please do so....the more that are interested the more I will produce and I may even be able to offer them cheaper.

Thanks to everyone who has already expressed their interest.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:47 PM

Probably cause you arent a paid advertiser. But your not really doing this to cut a profit, you just a nice guy!

------------------
WTB: LS1 Steering/brake knuckle. NEED ASAP!!! steve@stevenetworks.com
----------------------
96' Z28,Artic White, 6spd,T-tops, leather.
Mods: Yeah I got a couple
My Z
Old 08-08-2002, 07:45 PM

Thumbs up

Akrott, have you posted where I can get the material neeeded to make these? I havent seen it in any threads. This would help a great deal and I will get bored at school so I have time. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:57 PM

Talking

[Everyone who is on this thread that said they were wanting to get some of these please email the man. The more we can get the better. These are going to be great. If you enjoy really getting your hands on at an appearance mod this it. He will supply the product ready to prep and paint whatever color or colors you want and thenyou can add your own decals for personalization. I can do the painting and have some ideas for what I want on them but I don't have the way to make the base product so this is cool.

Old 08-09-2002, 03:06 PM

So are you still planning to ship the laser cut blanks? If so, I'm in! I need a set for my T/A, but want to do my own painting and graphics.

WS6@BlackWS6.com

------------------
2001 TransAm WS6, M6 3.42
HPP, TBB, 160* t-stat, MTI Lid, Holley PowerShot, Flowmaster 80, Port/Polish MAF

www.BlackWS6.com

2001 Z28
-- R.I.P. - 06/25/02
Old 08-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Banned

i'm in if the price is good.
I never really cared for them, but at a good price and the way these look... i can't passem up!
Old 08-09-2002, 10:54 PM

Cool

Good just keep the orders coming just send him an email telling him for sure you want them Hopefully by Monday there will be enough wanting them so he can get the laser cutting done.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:12 PM

Cool

Back to the top
Old 08-10-2002, 06:40 PM

I'm telling you man, don't let these clowns talk you into doing this, you did your own that's cool but these guys just want insurance incase these things set the engine on fire and then they can sue you for damages caused by a faulty product. you'd be taking a risk that could be very costly.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:49 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhoBetter?:
I'm telling you man, don't let these clowns talk you into doing this, you did your own that's cool but these guys just want insurance incase these things set the engine on fire and then they can sue you for damages caused by a faulty product. you'd be taking a risk that could be very costly.</font>
Help me understand why you think anyone would even be thinking along these lines. LT1's have had fuel rail covers on them for years in the Vettes. I don't understand why you feel they might set the engine on fire.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:16 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by badz28white:

Help me understand why you think anyone would even be thinking along these lines. LT1's have had fuel rail covers on them for years in the Vettes. I don't understand why you feel they might set the engine on fire.

[/B]</font>
you're not to smart are you? that's okay i'll explain it to you, The GM valve covers are molded plastic, this guy is making them out of Aluminum, the materials have different properties. How do you think engines catch fire? He can be at risk for a lawsuit, okay maybe i'll just shut-up and buy a set and sue his pants off when the tubes around my engine melt and ignite fuel.

Old 08-13-2002, 04:04 PM

Arrow

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhoBetter?:
you're not to smart are you? that's okay i'll explain it to you, The GM valve covers are molded plastic, this guy is making them out of Aluminum, the materials have different properties. How do you think engines catch fire? He can be at risk for a lawsuit, okay maybe i'll just shut-up and buy a set and sue his pants off when the tubes around my engine melt and ignite fuel.
</font>

Ok, I wasn't even going to get involved in this one, but I couldn't resist.

First of all, Whobetter you have a good point about liability, and obviously I should produce some kind of waiver for those who want to buy the fuel rail covers.

But, I also have to jump in and say that your arguement is pretty weak about plastic vs. Aluminum fuel rail covers. Technically Aluminum transfers heat faster which would theoretcially mean that the area under the fuel rail covers would stay cooler than under the plastic covers, since more heat would be drawn through the aluminum covers as the air moved past the covers. This is the same principle as why they make heatsinks out of aluminum. Also, Since the fuel lines are not actually touching the aluminum covers in any area and are made from a high temperature nylon, I really don't imagine that they will melt and cause an issue. Obviously if they are touching a very hot metal object as in the case of the recall involving the fuel line being tied to the metal area of one of the valves on the airpump, there should not be an issue. Thirdly, you are leaving out the biggest reason that GM made the fuel rail covers out of plastic. I am an Engineer in the automotive industry with 7 yrs experience and the one thing that I noticed is that the almight dollar still rules. Obviously the plastic fuel rail covers can be produced much cheaper and lighter than steel or aluminum.

Just my technical opinion on the matter. Again your first intention in this day and age still applies....God knows everyone sues over everything these days....I think the whole McDonald's Coffee incident has proven that.

------------------
94 Z28 LT1 A4
BLACK w/ FLAME RED INT
20k Orig. Miles
SLP CAI
2OTL Cat Back
Hypertech 160 TSTAT
BMR STB
http://community.webshots.com/album/36772017dOzRqG

Quick Reply: Check out my Homemade Fuel Rail Covers...Opinions?