Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Cutoff line HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 AM

Cutoff line HELP!!!

I installed projector headlights from Spec D about a week ago, and havent driven my car at night at all, so never bothered aiming the headlights very well. I tried doing that tonight, and theres a pretty big problem. The cutoff lines curve up around the middle. This seems normal enough, but heres the kick: The "horizontal" parts arent actually horizontal. The drivers side head light looks like a V, and the passenger side has the horizontal part rising to the right, and after the bend, it rises even faster, blinding the crap out of anybody im trying to pass. Ive tried tinkering with the left/right and up/down adjustment screws, but nothing seems to help with this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Re: Cutoff line HELP!!!

Your cut off lines should look something like this...

If not either you have shields that aren't positioned correctly or somehow got bent. You should be able to pull the headlights and disassemble the lights from the backside. The projector housing should come off with a couple screws, then you should be able to access the cut-off shield. It should be mounted on the bottom half of the 'eyeball' lens- and parallel with the ground- in a lowbeam lens the shield itself is either straight or curved, curved being typically the more desirable as it keeps the cut-off nice and sharp all the way across. There are ways to modify/replace them but not many are that picky. The only thing I did to mine so far was paint the shields red so the projectors have a red color to them during the day when the lights are off. Its hard to explain but I think its a nice touch- gives the car a slightly more angry look.

I am wondering if the shields are plastic and the heat-(which I would REALLY hope they aren't) distorted them so they no longer correctly positioned.

I would take some pics at night against a wall to show the light pattern output, then post some pics after you get them apart. I have retrofitted true projectors into my stock headlights in my truck and also put in projector housings in the Camaro so I have a small understanding of how they work and should look....good luck.

Last edited by Procharged94Lt1; 07-07-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 PM

theyve been that way since i got them. from what ive read, i have the halogen cutoff (so theres simply a rise to the right), instead of the hid cutoff, with the step. i was hoping it wouldnt come to having to remove them, but if that means i can make them work correctly, ill be more than happy to do it. thanks a lot!!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM

There are lots of pictures avail online of different projectors pulled apart- to start you could even just take a piece of thin steel cut straight across and see if that corrects your cut-off issue- then play around with trying to get the step back into it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 PM

i looked at the back as best i could (almost impossible to see with the lights on the car), but i didnt see any screws. ill take them off the car soon and see if i find something.