Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Gauging Interest: Lambo

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 02:46 PM

As soon as you show a pic I am in then.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:44 PM

Bone-

A few points of thought.

1) One big problem I know I have is that doing some of these conversions eliminates "stealth". When the door opens only one way, you only get one way. Props to you for making a pin the controlling element. For me, you just stepped your kit above many others. For the price, I'd be in on a set in a heartbeat.

2) Rip offs happen. But wait... did you ever see anyone rip off Bob Bishop's C5 conversion brackets? I'm waiting... Point is if you do your homework, be the guy who'll answer the phone from bed because someone on the other coast is having a panic attack and help them out - you'll gain a reputation. 2ndly providing the sort of attention to perfection that Bob did for his brackets earned him a lot of respect. He posted about looking for custom bolts and asked ARP to do it. When he spec'd em out, the bolts were sent to him and he pretty much reviewed them as garbage. Now we all know ARP makes a great bolt, so hearing how **** retentive Bob was, you really knew he had a passion for this and really wanted it done dead right. You do these things, and people if they rip off, wont succeed because of your reputation and customer service/help.

3) Speed Specialty. They are really cool in that they help with the unique designs and oddball ideas from the forums and make them a reality. If you are worried about legal issues, talk to them, and I bet they could take a lot of flak off you if it seems good for them too. Not to mention they could probably cut amounts out of lead/production time after initial testing was done.

4) To that note, proper QC and Customer support, if it works in both the original and "vertical" method, if it stands up to abuse and time, and you're there supporting me in my efforts and maybe even willing to warrantee a product - I'd pay $600 or $700 if it was really top notch.

5) Make it clear during your process when all is said and done (and document it clearly) that the install CAN be reversed. I would make that mandatory. If it's simply drilling two holes, you might be able to return to stock if you kept those stock hinges. That'd mean if your product broke, atleast they could return to stock and not have to pay $500 or much much more to a shop to fix the chassis.

6) If you do good work and are looking for another test mule away from you (I'd reccomend it, it'd really test your phone skills and knowledge of the product) you'll easily gain piles of support, and you'd get to pick the first gineau pigs. Example - give it to JasonD for free and if he likes it, you're golden Or even picking any of the vetrans, knowledged members etc.

So yeah... if it's good, I'm in.

Last edited by Geoff Chadwick; 05-26-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:05 PM

Thanks Geoff, some interesting points you have. Let me try and respond to each.

1) Thanks, the idea came out of nessecity. At the time I was fabbing all this up, my garage had my deceased father's cadillac in one bay, and my 57 project in the other. So I was always outside. After the kit was long finished, and dad's car sold, I decided to start using the garage. Only problem was space was too cramped to open the drivers door as the ceiling was to low to fully extend the doors. So, after a few days of headscratching my first bald spot, I came up with the "floating pivot" desighn on my own hinges. For some reason noone has wanted this as of late. Confusing to say the least. Everything I desighned into my car makes it easy to switch or reconfigure on a whim. The hinges were no different.

2)I feel the same way that Bob, Brent, Jason and all the other top-rate sellers do on the forum, I want the same things they have, and I am overly **** about my work. Sometimes too much, I sometimes go into the garage mid night to check something. Or to scribe out a quick idea.

3) Im definately interested, the company sounds great. You wouldn't happen to have any contact information for them would you?

4) I'd be available during most of the day via the net or phone. I don't see too many problems happening, but I don't doubt I could handle them.

5) Also agreed, thats why when I desighned the kit, I wanted bolt-on instead of fabricated. Just like my bolt on LCA brackets and my adj. PHR, I thought I might change my mind down the line, and want a change. So, I wanted little or no down-time, plus no other kit was a bolt-on.

The instructions and site would have to reflect this. I want to make a installation sticker that the buyers could stick on the underside of the panel so they wouldnt have to worry about losing the instructions, or the any new owner would be able to remove them without confusion.

6) My friend Nathan is going to be my new welder, and also my TA covermodel/lab rat. Of course he's worming a kit out of me. Now all I need is a FireBird test dummy..

I said before that I wanted to send one to Jason and Brent for there opinion, as I and the forum trust them beyond regard. At least I do.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:51 AM

This sounds like it will be really cool, im in if you put it into production. i guess that makes me like what number 15? Cant wait for some pictures or somthin.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by zachattack45
This sounds like it will be really cool, im in if you put it into production. i guess that makes me like what number 15? Cant wait for some pictures or somthin.
Ok that makes more than the required 10 so whats next? Pics now or later?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:30 AM

Just when I thought I was done modding the car....and here you come. Make me 16 then if it's sound.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:18 AM

Count me in for a set.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:27 AM

Count me in.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:23 AM

www.speedspecialty.com

I dont have any contact information - but they are a Supporting Vendor of this site, hence the other reason I mention them.
(notice they do stuff for 4th gen fbodies and that's it - a great fit for 4th gen hinges maybe ?)
Old 05-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Geoff Chadwick
www.speedspecialty.com

I dont have any contact information - but they are a Supporting Vendor of this site, hence the other reason I mention them.
(notice they do stuff for 4th gen fbodies and that's it - a great fit for 4th gen hinges maybe ?)
Yes, one of the main reasons they were founded was to bring unusual and custom items (just like this!) to the F-Body community.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:32 PM

I want some!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:08 PM

I want a set for mine too... that's 18? hehe Keep me posted.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:09 PM

I'm in also...#19
Old 05-28-2004, 08:26 AM

I'm interested!
Old 05-28-2004, 09:46 AM

if the price really is that low, then count me in for a set

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: Lambo