Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:16 PM

Re: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

well for now no custom cover around (and i like it without right now to so lol) we didnt do a custom braket but we didnt mount them with the stock screws we used a diffrent set up and cut alot outta the stock housing to try and get them a lil farther back in the hole --- you guys will see pics soon very soon

also i opted for the h7 h7 simply because i can get the h7 hid kit for cheaper and the bulbs cheaper through www.hidynamic.com he hooked me up and since 1 bulb broke he sent me priority mail a free one good guy
Old 01-29-2005, 12:24 AM

Sam: that's awsome that you're doing the HID conversion now. My hella were originally the ones made for a h9 bulb. When i bought the 90mm, the H7 weren't even available yet. The H9's were the only option on the squeanna (sp?) and anywhere I searched for that matter. However when I did the conversion to HIDs, i used an H7 HID kit...but not DS2 bulbs...like in the faq. I didn't realize at the time there was a real difference between the DS2 base and the H7 base. I mean I still got it to work fine, i had a bulb retainer made and added a little silicone between the bulb base and the back of the 90mm housing. The kit that i bought was pretty complete so it had the new wiring harness and good connectors...etc.

I also cut a lot outta the stock housing area. The first time I only really cut the area behind to fit the back of the 90mm, but when I did the HIDs I remounted them without brackets and trimmed a lot off the top area. I even bought the mounting plate this time around for the 90mms...but I didn't end up using them. I had to cut the tabs a bit to get the smaller portion of the H7 base into the housing tho...the DS2 are a little different.

I'm probably going to change the bulbs to 6000-7000K color temps...maybe some philips ultinons or something...maybe with a DS2 base this time (which is OEM style). The blue looks cool and all (8000K)...but not all that great for visibility.

Good luck with your project, be sure to post pics when your done....

I still have clear covers that I never got around to putting on...maybe when spring rolls around.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:58 PM

lol just having no luck at all --- one of the ballast's went today GO FIGURE lol only my luck hopefully the guy e-mails me back and will send me a replacement lol
Old 02-05-2005, 06:59 PM

here ya guys go

pics are on my cardomain site

http://www.cardomain.com/id/erockz28

no install pics rite now though will get them when its warmer out
Old 02-05-2005, 08:04 PM

ErockZ28 -- looks pretty good from what I can tell in the night shots. Would like to see some daytime pics of them when ya get around to it. They look pretty blue to me but I'm kinda color blind and could be way off Pretty happy with how they light up the road?

I've started working on trimming the GTS clear covers to fit flush with the opening and mocking up a pattern for the aluminum bezel to go around the Hellas. Want to have them done before the car comes out of storage. I'll get pics of it as I go now that I have a scanner that plays nice with XP. I really need to go digital but since I occasionally make money with it, digital=$1000+ camera body I'll take donations
Old 02-06-2005, 12:23 AM

lol those pics with a cheapo 250 bone 3.5 MP camera (well free cuz i jacked it form my sis haha)

but yea i still need to adjust them a little more but its awsome when there is no stree lights
Old 02-06-2005, 02:49 PM

ErockZ28 -- Yeah, autoexposure doesn't work real well at night shooting bright lights/dark background. If it can be adjusted on the camera, adding about 2-4 stops of exposure compensation should help.

It took me a while to get my lights 'dialed in', too. Lot's of stopping, adjusting and driving some more in diff. conditions.

Got the GTS covers to fit flush now and have all the stickers/velcro dots off them. Just need to figure out how to set up the mounting brackets. I'm thinking of cutting the center front angle bracket into 3 seperate ones to spread out across the bottom of the cover. Then use the other 2 included angle brackets at the top sides. Screws or bolts will be used to hold them on. Anyone have any suggestions on a good tamper proof/resistant scew/bolt head design?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Nut
Anyone have any suggestions on a good tamper proof/resistant scew/bolt head design?
http://www.mcmaster.com/
They have lots of different types of fasteners
Old 02-09-2005, 12:02 AM

Cool, thanks. I have their catalog at work. Now to see if they have what I pick in the parts crib . . .
Old 02-09-2005, 08:13 AM

it looks really good. I was able to fix my lighting problem with a couple of amplified Xenon lights, and keeping the original look of the car.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:04 PM

I am currently upgrading my housings to D2S. Had them in, but the beam pattern was not perfect yet, so I am tweaking the bulb position with a new custom backplate. I took a bunch of pictures that I will post on my website when I am done!! I'll post here when I update it!

Sam
Old 03-11-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Luiscamaro
it looks really good. I was able to fix my lighting problem with a couple of amplified Xenon lights, and keeping the original look of the car.
I was thinking the same thing, but the stock optics are not up to the task. I went the FF75 route, however the beam pattern was impossible to control and people constantly flashed their high beams at me. I'm looking to now make the 90mm conversion...
Old 03-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sam95ZNoTop
I am currently upgrading my housings to D2S. Had them in, but the beam pattern was not perfect yet, so I am tweaking the bulb position with a new custom backplate. I took a bunch of pictures that I will post on my website when I am done!! I'll post here when I update it!

Sam
I'm done with the upgrade! It looks great!! Lots of light now! It took quite a bit of experimenting actually. I have not taken any pics of the beam yet tho... I also still have to put it on the webpage. I will post when that has been done!

Sam
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sam95ZNoTop
I'm done with the upgrade! It looks great!! Lots of light now! It took quite a bit of experimenting actually. I have not taken any pics of the beam yet tho... I also still have to put it on the webpage. I will post when that has been done!

Sam
Any updates ?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by pu12en12g
Any updates ?
Hopefully in the next week or two I'll have some time to take some pics and post those...

I have been VERY pleased with the result! Same great beam pattern, just more light! However, it turned out to be a little bit more involving than I thought to modify the housings for HID. I ended up having to experiment with the bulb placement and designing two bulb holders and weatherproofing of the whole thing! I used a bunch of toilet flush tank seals and gaskets for that, so I would not recommend it to anyone not comfortable with some creative hardware use!

Sam

Quick Reply: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)