Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 01:21 PM

I bought these lights (low beams) and have them installed on my TA now. I'm still working on getting the beam adjusted properly, but the lighting difference is amazing!. I wouldn't say they could replace the stock headlights, but they are a great addition IMO. My cam is broken now so i don't have any pictures, but i will soon i hope. BTW they are mounted in the fog light locations...
Old 03-13-2003, 06:36 PM

I got my Hella 90mms this week and am working on installing them. I have some 16 guage sheet metal for the mounting brackets and some 26 guage aluminum for the appearance cover. I'm planning on mounting mine bass ackwards to the way Sam95ZNoTop mounted his. I'm not planning on returning to the orig lights so I'm not worried about keeping the orig mounting piece. The adjusters will screw in from the back of the light making it very accessable with the hood up for adjustments. The aluminum piece will go in front of the brackets with just holes for the lenses so it will have a very clean appearance (painted black). A set of clear headlight covers will give it more of a 'sealed' projector housing look, I think.

I'm still in the design stage so any comments, tips ,or suggestions are welcome.

I must give Sam my wholehearted thanks for inspiring me to go with the 90mm Hellas. I love the round look and like the fact that they are DOT legal with a sharp cutoff. I hate getting brighted but I like to see where I'm going at night! FF50s or FF75s will be replacing my fog lights soon, too.

Thanks Sam!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:05 PM

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh, Please please please do some kind of write up and take many many pictures. I got mine also but the next day I have free to do the install is on next wednesday. By then you should be done so you can help me if I need it.

Also are you cutting out all the old brackets and everything so its easier to mount the new ones? Is that what you are using the aluminum for or is that to make the front end look a bit better after you are done?

Are you in San Diego by any chance, cuz then you could come over and help me out?
Old 03-14-2003, 08:25 PM

Sorry, Team Untouchable, I'm in Southwest Michigan so I can't swing by in the near future.

I am taking lots of photos and should be able to post them on my ISP-provided web page that I haven't made yet. Don't worry, I can e-mail scans of the pics to you when I get done. May not have it done this weekend -- I've got at least two more weeks before I take my baby off storage insurance (Michigan sucks! ).

Yes, I've cut most of the OEM mounting area out so there is plenty of room. Well, maybe not plenty but there's more room to work with than what I started with. The mounting brackets are made of 16 guage steel -- more rigid than the aluminum to hold the lights steady. The aluminum is just a fascia to cover up the brackets and such. It'll be painted black to blend with the headlight opening and just have holes for the lenses to poke through. Some of that black u-channel stuff should trim the edges nicely

The template for the mounting brackets is finished and I'm working on transfering it to the sheet metal tonight since it got cold out there. I still need to order my clear headlight covers. The plan is to be able to adjust the lights w/out pulling the covers, thats why I'm mounting the adjusters to the back. Pop the hood and turn a screw to aim.

This is not an easy, one night conversion. As Sam did with his first light, I'm taking my time and doing a lot of thinking (and sometimes cussing) trial fitting with cardboard pieces. The bumper fascia -- black part under/in front of lights -- needs trimming too, and a screw to hold it down so the lights don't rub on it.

I'll update as I go. Later!
Old 03-19-2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Z28Nut
I got my Hella 90mms this week and am working on installing them. I have some 16 guage sheet metal for the mounting brackets and some 26 guage aluminum for the appearance cover. I'm planning on mounting mine bass ackwards to the way Sam95ZNoTop mounted his. I'm not planning on returning to the orig lights so I'm not worried about keeping the orig mounting piece. The adjusters will screw in from the back of the light making it very accessable with the hood up for adjustments. The aluminum piece will go in front of the brackets with just holes for the lenses so it will have a very clean appearance (painted black). A set of clear headlight covers will give it more of a 'sealed' projector housing look, I think.

I'm still in the design stage so any comments, tips ,or suggestions are welcome.

I must give Sam my wholehearted thanks for inspiring me to go with the 90mm Hellas. I love the round look and like the fact that they are DOT legal with a sharp cutoff. I hate getting brighted but I like to see where I'm going at night! FF50s or FF75s will be replacing my fog lights soon, too.

Thanks Sam!
You are very welcome! I just wanted to share my positive experience with these lights!
It sounds like you are going about the install in much more detailed way than I did. I guess I did not want to get stuck without lights as the Z is my daily driver! I will probably make it look a little better later. I didn't think about a screw to hold down the flat black horizontal part of the fascia, maybe that would be a good idea, although I have not had any trouble with the lights holding it down. No problems with rain and all that either! I am just still amazed at how I was able to drive with the old stock units!

Don't hesitate to ask questions if you're not done yet!

Sam
Old 03-20-2003, 05:54 PM

I've got the four lights in now, and took lots of pics. You're not kidding about how a flash reveals everything behind the lights and makes it look more cluttered than w/out flash. When I get insurance on her I'll get some much better available light pics with something other than my cluttered garage for a background. When I wired up the drivers side and turned 'em on after mounting, I couldn't believe how much light just one lowbeam put out in my driveway

Can't wait to drive it and get the aim finalized to really see how much better driving at night will be, but it might snow a bit this weekend up here in MI so I'll probably wait till next week

Thanks Sam so much for the tip that saved me $20 a light. It helped alot since I tapped out my checkbook with getting the odds and ends to get the project this far (Jig saw 10 blades, etc.). Thank God I get paid tomorrow! I still need to order the clear headlight covers, which Summit says are on back order

The stock fog lights gotta go next. The pass. side is burned out and the housing is broken and I'll be dipped before I'll spend $103 for another GM POS light. I like the Hella FF50 or FF75 fog lights (not driving -- I like to cruise around town at dusk w/just the markers and fogs on). I'm a Hella fan 'cause I run a 550 set of driving lights and HAD a set of 550 fogs on my truck till some idiot smacked the front while it was parked at work. The 1452 Optilux fogs look nice but ain't squat compared to the 550's

Anyway, let me know if you'd like to see some scans of the photos I took and I'll e-mail then to you -- don't like to send e-mail w/out an ok
Old 03-20-2003, 09:52 PM

Yes Nut, Please send me some photos. Im planning on doing it tomorrow afternoon. School gets over at 12:00 and when I get home Im planning on doing the cutting.

Oh ya, why did you need 10 blades? Im hoping not to need to have 10 blades. Thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 10:28 PM

Anyway, let me know if you'd like to see some scans of the photos I took and I'll e-mail then to you -- don't like to send e-mail w/out an ok
Yes, please send me some pics, I'd like to see the lights on other cars!

About the aiming: it will take a few iterations to get it just right, because the cutoff is so sharp, there is NO light above it, so you have to aim pretty carefully. I had to stop a couple of times on a deserted and dark parking lot with a screwdriver, but once you get it right... AHHHH!! What a relief, you can see! You won't be dissappointed!

Sam
Old 03-21-2003, 11:28 PM

I drove her tonight, and I am definitely not disapointed!

Did exactly that, stopped to adjust them a little bit on handy walls and such. Didn't ever need the highbeams

These lights rock

I'll zap you a quick e-mail tonight (this morning?).

Team Untouchable -- sent e-mail; last night if you didn't see already.

Kevin
Old 03-21-2003, 11:42 PM

Uh, Team Untouchable -- e-mail was returned to me undeliverable I've gotten another e-mail with 5meg of pics a week ago and can't get it to open so maybe its my e-mail site.

Sam95zNoTop -- let me know if you get my e-mail. It should have 5 jpg files attatched.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 05:04 PM

Thanks Z, I dunno why. my addy is socalcamaro@hotmail.com Ill have to check that out. Ill send you my 2nd one if that dosent work, OK.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:21 AM

Z28Nut:

if u could email me some pics as well:

marcinwz@bellsouth.net

Thanks
Marcin
Old 03-24-2003, 12:06 PM

Uh, Team Untouchable -- e-mail was returned to me undeliverable I've gotten another e-mail with 5meg of pics a week ago and can't get it to open so maybe its my e-mail site.

Sam95zNoTop -- let me know if you get my e-mail. It should have 5 jpg files attatched.

Thanks
Yes, got your email! Thanks a bunch! Looks good that way too. Now that we have people mount them to the stock bracket and people making their own brackets and removing the stock stuff, I think we may need a second write-up. I am still working on the write-up for my mounting method (using stock brackets).

Good job!

Sam
Old 03-25-2003, 10:54 PM

Sam, once I mock up a pattern for the aluminum trim piece, I'll zap you a copy at 300 dpi so you can print it 1:1 and see if it'll work for your set-up. Just adjust light openings to suit your spacing. I've been a little under the weather (Michigan colds suck!) so I haven't gotten to that part yet.

I was in Kalamazoo tonight so I stopped in at the Pep Boys to see if they had any clear headlight covers. They didn't but the blonde behind the counter didn't believe I had a '94Z until I explained that I swapped in the Hellas. Could see them staring at car while I parked it. Have gotten nothing but positive comments from friends that have seen them. Oh, yeah, even though they might be still adjusted a touch high, I have not been brighted yet.

I love these things!

xxsaint69x -- I sent e-mail tonight with 5 jpgs.

Team Untouchable -- sent e-mail other day through outlook. Did you get it?

Last edited by Z28Nut; 03-25-2003 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:39 AM

OK guys, I was thinking tonite that a couple of months ago I saw a HID kit that was taken off an audi. I am thinking it included the ballasts and the bulbs. Im thinking with a little modification, those bulbs could fit in our 90mm's. But I am guessing we would need some sort of new connector so the bulbs would hook up with our harnesses. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)