Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Help replacing carpet

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 05:50 PM

Help replacing carpet

I bought some carpet from 1aauto.com . It looks like nice carpet but the jute (padding underneath) is rather thin and only on a couple of places. Do you think it would be OK if I tore the jute off my original carpet and used it undereath? I think I'm going to try it.

Let me now what you did when you replaced your carpet. Thanks....
Old 10-20-2005, 05:57 PM

Re: Help replacing carpet

i ordered some new carpet, soon as i get it im takin my car to Best Buy and having them dynomat my whole car, and when they do that they will take my carpet out and they will just put the new stuff in, in place of the old only bad part is its gonna cost me $650 to get it done, but i figure it's better for road noise and will help once i go to do my system.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:45 PM

You could re use your old sound proofing, or even better is to use sound proofing thats sort of like dynamat like i did. It helps with road noise, most of it comes from my windows but i can still hear the exhaust underneath me. Check page 2 on my cardomain for install pics. You dont need to pay someone $600+ to do its for you, its not hard but it does take some time. Remember to test fit all trim peices before you start to cut the carpet.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:44 AM

OK, I got it done. Jesus, it took me 3 days! All the plastic panels had to come out, and the console, and the seats. Then I had to cut and trim the carpet, which wasn't much. I tore off, by hand, all the old jute and used that underneath the new carpet. It fit really well. The hardest part was placing all the holes and slits for bolts and stuff that stick through the carpet. Then, trying to make it all fit. But it looks so much better than the old gray and stained carpet. It's now black. I added some black floor mats also. I also changed the seats out from messed up gray ones to good used condition black leather with an electric drivers side. WOW, the difference is amazing.
So, it can be done. But it's not for the faint of heart. It's a lot of work. But worth it.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by 95HellBird
i ordered some new carpet, soon as i get it im takin my car to Best Buy and having them dynomat my whole car, and when they do that they will take my carpet out and they will just put the new stuff in, in place of the old only bad part is its gonna cost me $650 to get it done, but i figure it's better for road noise and will help once i go to do my system.
why would you pay a place like Best Buy $650 for something that costs WELL less then $200 and would only take a weekend to do. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like morons at places like Best Buy working on my cars.