Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

HID on 96...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM

HID on 96...

So a while ago I took the headlights on my 96 and disassembled the lights you know just 9006 bulbs in a glass housing and put in a brighter set ...well I can purchase a 9006 HID conversion on Ebay...so somebody shoot down why I just can't put these in the housing now...they say they burn cooler so heat shouldn't be an issue...now go ruin my plan...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:00 PM

Re: HID on 96...

I put Sylvania Silverstars in my other Camaro. 9006's in some Sylvania halogen housings.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:29 PM

Because if you put HID bulbs in a halogen housing, you will blind every single person that is unfortunate enough to encounter your headlights. HID requires two things... the poper bulb, and the proper headlight [read: projector headlight]. HID is a very intense light source, and placed in a halogen housing the intense light will become nothing more than immense glare and dangerous to other drivers.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...2&page=1&pp=20

Here are pictures of HID bulbs in a halogen headlight, notice how messy the light is:

This is how HID is supposed to look:

HID in halogen...

HID in projectors..
Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 PM

Yeah I knew about the the HID not being in a projector housing being sorta not good but I wondered if i purchased the 12000k kit if it wouldn't be less of a problem looking in...I know the 12000k kits aren't as bright so maybe they would light up the road good but the factories suck ***** so who cares...how about the fogs anyone know of projector replacements that could be HID for those maybe...
Old 12-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Who would have though lighting would be such a issue I just say we stop driving at night. Not only would people have better eyes, but could you imagine the health benifits of walking everywhere!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:17 PM

If you want to do HID's right, check out some real projector capsules, period.
There is a big thread and a nice writeup on the Hella 90mm, and there have been quite a few other conversions done.

There are not any CHEAP ways to do it. So unless you want to drop about $300+ (easy) just forget it. Fog lights, headlights, any of them.

That's the honest answer.

There is no reason why you can't put HID capsules in your crappy stock housings...several have done it. You will be less than happy though.

You'll get about the same effect out of some true 120w 12000k output halogen bulbs, with the exception of current draw, and heat output. If you want to try it for yourself and see, get an upgraded wiring harness from SUVLights.com (they are 14ga instead of the stock 16ga) and then some good bulbs - put them in your headlight housings, and save yourself about $200.

If you think I am saying that ^^^that is the same thing as HID's, you are wrong. In our stock housings, it is close enough though to justify saving $200. (This of course assuming you find a HID kit worth having for $300 for your 9006 low beam only headlights). You can see the cost will get more and more realistic as you go.

SUVLights also has some replacement HID fog lights if you're interested.
http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...8849e350ab44fe
They are a top brand too. $300. What'd I say?

No eBay junk here...
Old 12-21-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Koby
Who would have though lighting would be such a issue I just say we stop driving at night. Not only would people have better eyes, but could you imagine the health benifits of walking everywhere!
I think it mostly comes from boredom...my car sits in the garage all winter so i feel like I should be doing soemthing to it...
Old 12-21-2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 94BlackBowtie
If you want to do HID's right, check out some real projector capsules, period.
There is a big thread and a nice writeup on the Hella 90mm, and there have been quite a few other conversions done.

There are not any CHEAP ways to do it. So unless you want to drop about $300+ (easy) just forget it. Fog lights, headlights, any of them.

That's the honest answer.

There is no reason why you can't put HID capsules in your crappy stock housings...several have done it. You will be less than happy though.

You'll get about the same effect out of some true 120w 12000k output halogen bulbs, with the exception of current draw, and heat output. If you want to try it for yourself and see, get an upgraded wiring harness from SUVLights.com (they are 14ga instead of the stock 16ga) and then some good bulbs - put them in your headlight housings, and save yourself about $200.

If you think I am saying that ^^^that is the same thing as HID's, you are wrong. In our stock housings, it is close enough though to justify saving $200. (This of course assuming you find a HID kit worth having for $300 for your 9006 low beam only headlights). You can see the cost will get more and more realistic as you go.

SUVLights also has some replacement HID fog lights if you're interested.
They are a top brand too. $300. What'd I say?

No eBay junk here...
I fully expected to pay 300+ even off ebay...but that was for a simple plug and play unit...which is what I want...but if I need to wire something I got a buddy who does that for a living so no probs there...I saw a few threads down the hella 90mm kits with some mounting brackets but I could find the price for the brackets...and i was hoping for a square housing...to be honest I don't give a crap about light output I just want the look but if I can spend 200 more or so and get functionality than I will I really just don't want to spend more than 500 dollars...
Old 12-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Do the lights in that link fit right up in the stock place and I mean headlights...and what are those remotes for...but yeah I could go for that kit...if it would fit...

Old 12-21-2005, 05:54 PM

Talking Re: HID on 96...

Originally Posted by Koby

Considering most standard low beams aren't really sufficient for safe driving at highway speed limits at night, it can be an issue. Seeing as how driving around with your highs on isn’t really practical, safe or legal in the city either. HID are less strenuous on the eyes and in fact vehicles equipped with them as a standard feature offer an insurance break.

With that frame of thought, let’s all wear the same white outfit, drive the same electric car in the same color and eat salads for the remainder of our lives. Not only will we look like sheep, we will follow blindly like them as well, just like so many on this appearanceforum and in life.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by guywithaZ
Do the lights in that link fit right up in the stock place and I mean headlights...and what are those remotes for...but yeah I could go for that kit...if it would fit...

The remotes are to turn the lights on and off.
They aren't going to fit perfectly like a replacement headlamp - no light is. You are going to have to do some modification.
I am not sure on the size, but you could find out, and see if they would be good enough for headlights.

Originally Posted by Wraith
With that frame of thought, let’s all wear the same white outfit, drive the same electric car in the same color and eat salads for the remainder of our lives. Not only will we look like sheep, we will follow blindly like them as well, just like so many on this appearanceforum and in life.
No joke...
Why does everyone insist on retrying the tried and proven bad stuff?
At least venture out, get brave, and try something different.
Heck, that's where these new ideas come from. If I was going to be keeping my Camaro I would have a set of GOOD rectangular HID's on it - a set that hasn't been tried yet...a set that there isn't a writeup for.
But I guess some folks don't like to tread on the untried grounds.

Last edited by 94BlackBowtie; 12-22-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:24 AM

ive always wondered about this. last time i bought new headlights for my 93 i noticed they were just 9006 bulbs more or less glued into the housings. i also heard that putting aftermarket 9006 bulbs in the stock housings will burn out the wiring....... which doesnt make much sense to me. anyone ever try just putting in aftermarket 9006's?

and why does it say i only have 1 post? ive had lots of other posts?????? must be the srt-4 thing :/
Old 12-22-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by 94BlackBowtie
The remotes are to turn the lights on and off.

They aren't going to fit perfectly like a replacement headlamp - no light is. You are going to have to do some modification.
I am not sure on the size, but you could find out, and see if they would be good enough for headlights.

Yeah but can they be wired up directly to the switch I'll assume they can the remotes would just seem ghetto...I've got extra bulbs in my garage I'll check the dimensions on them and see if I can find specs on the Sylvanias...if there close I might be able to have my father fab up some sort of a bracket...
Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Broken5hift
anyone ever try just putting in aftermarket 9006's?
yes, you can throw in Sylvania Silverstars into your headlights and silicone/glue them into position with no problem at all. That's what I've done, but the whole siliconing them into position is kinda old after doing it so many times, hopefully for Christmas I'll be getting some Eurolights.com sealed-housing converson kits... replaces the headlight housing with a twist-in housing so you can just buy 9006s all the time and just twist them into the housing like you do the taillights or turnsignals.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by guywithaZ
Yeah but can they be wired up directly to the switch I'll assume they can the remotes would just seem ghetto...I've got extra bulbs in my garage I'll check the dimensions on them and see if I can find specs on the Sylvanias...if there close I might be able to have my father fab up some sort of a bracket...
You should be able to tie them into the factory switch without too much trouble. I would definitely use the wiring that comes with whatever kit you get though.

You may not need a bracket. Most lights come with mounting brackets, and you might be able to use them somehow. I'd check it out. If nothing else, you might just need something to "adapt" that bracket to fit your opening.

I put several types of fog lights in my fog openings, and in several different configurations. You just have to think sometimes. Start off with an idea of what you want, then figure out it will take to get it...

You have to have a steady mount, something that is adjustable, and something you can change the bulb on without having to take the front end off the car everytime. Make it happen.

With the fog's you don't have as much to mount to to start with, so trust me, you in good shape with the headlights as far as mounting, just more constricted in the room department.

Quick Reply: HID on 96...