Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 PM

HID headlights

I found this pair of headlights online, and the quality seems perfectly fine

http://www.ohiospeedshop.com/index.p...ducts_id=86132

however, i emailed them to ask if itll have a good cutoff line with their HID kit, and their response was

It will fit in the housing and function properly...

If you want me to give you a 100% assurance that the light output will be the same as OEM HID in top of the line vehicles. Then I simply can't. This is what's available for your car and work with it.

Other options may be Hella (If they make a headlight for your car MSRP $800 without HID).

does anybody have any experience with these guys? or at least a suggestion? if i pay $400 for a pair of headlights, i want them to work correctly
Old 05-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Re: HID headlights

sounds like the guy you emailed is trying to prepare you for a letdown when you recieve them. I'd pass.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:15 PM

This is the site where i got mine from, they should have a pair of the ones you want in stock. the customer service people are very helpful here and really nice people.

http://www.lmperformance.com/
Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 PM

As far as an aftermarket projector headlight I don't mind those- they don't have the halo's and look fairly clean- could look good on the right car.

I don't blame them for saying they can't guarantee the cut-off being the same as OEM. I have seen quite a few aftermarket lights that have a decent cut-off, it might not be quite as crisp as some of the high-end OEM, but should probably be good for you.

The write-up is very generic- they don't know much about HID's since they claim 8k is the highest temp you can run. The bulb color has nothing to do with the actual temperature. The wattage between 35 and 55 typically determines the physical temperature of the bulb itself.

I think they might be worth a look as long as they accept returns if you don't like them. As far as the HID's, order through a place such as DDMTuning or HIDGate. I have ordered multiple sets through DDM and have been running them for almost 2 years with no problems.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:55 PM

I put HID's in my stock housings, I think it's great, dont understand why you would bother getting projectors, all they do is disperse the light more than regular lamps.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 PM

ummm your stupid to just put hid's in a stock housing... HID projectors are the ONLY way to do hid's....

personally I think those are ok looking, and they will prob have the euro style cut off, vs the north american cut off... which is still nice...

but if your looking to spend money, why not do a proper retrofit in your stock housings?

If you not comfortable doing it, I do them all the time for friends/clients of mine in the sport bike world... also do them on jetta's and other cars
Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 PM

why would you spend money and destroy you're stock housings, why not just spend the money and get a whole new set of housings?

I think it's stupid to spend money on cheap headlights that make lighting worse than stock and that are just going to leak water after a year and not fit right anyway, All projectors do is disperser the light with a round lens so most of it goes into the sky, they are so damn small they block half the light to begin with. With the stock housings all the light is beamed directly onto the road where it belongs. Projectors are a gimick to sale cars.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
I don't blame them for saying they can't guarantee the cut-off being the same as OEM. I have seen quite a few aftermarket lights that have a decent cut-off, it might not be quite as crisp as some of the high-end OEM, but should probably be good for you.
i dont necessarily want an OEM like cutoff, though that would be nice. i just dont wanna be the guy driving around and burning everone's eyes out.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution223
why would you spend money and destroy you're stock housings, why not just spend the money and get a whole new set of housings?

I think it's stupid to spend money on cheap headlights that make lighting worse than stock and that are just going to leak water after a year and not fit right anyway, All projectors do is disperser the light with a round lens so most of it goes into the sky, they are so damn small they block half the light to begin with. With the stock housings all the light is beamed directly onto the road where it belongs. Projectors are a gimick to sale cars.
something honestly wrong with you.... obviously you dont understand how a projector works, and how the good ones actually provide 100% better lighting, more focused lighting, more direct lighting etc.....

projectors arent a gimick in the least... but hey if you want to be that guy driving around with hid's in his stock halogen housings... by all means
Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution223
That is so far from the truth is comical....Basically you have them reversed- stock housings scatter light all around- projectors direct the light where you need it.

Originally Posted by rv93
i dont necessarily want an OEM like cutoff, though that would be nice. i just dont wanna be the guy driving around and burning everone's eyes out.
I put cheap projectors in my car for mock-up and the cut-off was pretty good, although the projector quality wasn't there.

And thank-you for not being 'that guy' who puts HID's in their stock halogen headlights and drives around with terrible glare pretending like they don't.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM

well, i hope its decent, since theyre not *that* cheap. there are ones that look the same on ebay for ~$100, but these are closer to $300.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 AM

Well I know you can't go strictly by price, but I would assume that for $300 that projector quality would be there.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 AM

yeah, thats what im hoping. ive also heard good things about spec d. they got my money yesterday, so im hoping itll be here soon. shipping from ohio to indiana shouldnt take too long.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Let us know how it turns out, post some pics too if you can.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Still waiting for the lights, but just from what ive experienced so far *do not buy from ohiospeedshop.com*. They have the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I deeply regret not buying from one of the other companies that stocked the lights i wanted. Might have spent a few extra bucks, but these guys are just unbelievable.

Quick Reply: HID headlights