Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

How much did your paintjob cost??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:39 AM

How much did your paintjob cost??

Actually, I was wondering how much I can expect to pay for my front and rear clips to be painted. I have the arctic white 30th package, and I know white is the hardest paint color to get right. I've already had a professional screw up the front clip. Would I save money if I took them off myself first? Also, should I take them to maaco and get the REALLY nice maaco job, or to the dealership and get raped on prices??
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:43 AM

NOOOOOO MAACCOOOOOOOOO lol ---- well i cant tell you on prices cuz i know people and well i dont pay for it lol ---- but for those peices it shouldnt be that bad ---- make sure u see some of the peoples cars they have done before you go to em
Old 02-03-2004, 10:17 AM

Re: How much did your paintjob cost??

Originally posted by 30thannZ28
Also, should I take them to maaco and get the REALLY nice maaco job
There is no such thing. They did a so-so job on my old K5... I had to clean up a lot of mess when I got it back, there were many flaws, a few missed areas. I had to scrape quite a bit of blue paint from my windows/windshield. They even painted part of my f***ing carpet.

They don't remove parts and trim, they mask everything. Leaving an edge to start peeling and flaking.

Now, my Blazer looked pretty decent with it's shiney new paint, driving around the city after I finally waxed it and threw some wheels on.

But it was short lived. 4 years have passed and my truck now looks like total ***.

When it comes to paint, you get what you pay for. Take it to a good shop, and you'll still be happy in 7 or so years.

Now, my Z28... After it was hit in a parking lot I took it to the Chevy dealer. They did a great job on it. I know that isn't the best pic, too dark, but it's the only semi close shot I have after the paint.

Last edited by kick Z tail out; 02-03-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:25 AM

Ok, well maaco is out. I figured they sucked anyway. Soooo...
How much can I expect to pay for the painting of the two clips??
Anybody want to throw their experiences in? I know somebody on this board has had to get both of their clips painted. I need some figures to work with here. $500, $400?? I'm hoping not more than $400.
And again, should I remove them and bring them in that way or just drive the whole car up to the dealership?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:33 AM

To do the best job, they're going to want to keep it all as one unit, because they're going to paint and blend. That way, you won't see a difference in color from the rest of the car.

Leave your car with them.

I'll just guess at $600-$900 for the work, depending on what prices are like in your area.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:20 PM

500 is about right. You could also try some reputable shops in your area. It also depends on how bad the clips are. When I said 500 I meant a clip. You probably looking at at least 800 bucks for both.

Also if your clip is bad by the stripes add in the money for the new stripes too. It all depends on how bad the clips are. Might just need a nice spray, could need to be sanded down and certain things may need to be added.

Just go around and get some estimates its FREE!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:28 PM

What do you mean when you say the front and rear clips? Just the bumpers, bumper and fenders??
Old 02-03-2004, 09:44 PM

ok first off white is about the easiest color to spray

leave the car intact

look at some of the work they've done before and also if you can try to look at the inside of there paint booth check and make sure its pretty clean that helps you know how much pride the painter takes in his work a good painter will keep his booth clean and if he messes it up you will never know because he or she will fix it before it leaves

the dealership is not always your best bet...........
Old 02-04-2004, 06:28 AM

Well, what do you want painted, and how much "Touch-up" is required brefore the paint, ex: Scratches, dents, dings, large chips, etc...

Your best bet is to go get some quotes, but I'd say you're going to be over-budget... For a typical Bumper-job at my GF Shop (She's the Manager at a Collision Shop) can run anywheres from $300 to $500 depending on what needs to be done. If you then also talking about Fenders & Quarters, and blending everything together, your going to be painting every body-panel by the time your done... Probably heading to the $2K mark pretty quick...

Each Bumper:

1-2 hours R&I - Removal & Install
1-2 Hour Paint Prep (With no major repairs)
1 Hour Paint
1-2 Hour After Paint Buff/Blend

That's 4-7 hours, at an average of $50/hour... So Anywheres from $200-$350, and that's a VERY rough estimate... most likely if there's any time involved in repairing anything on the body, it'll add up quick... And that's not adding in any Paint Supplies either...
Old 02-04-2004, 07:53 AM

$250!

I got my 88 Lemans Painted at Macco for 250! one upgrade higher then the cheep $199 price they advertise. lasted a year before it started washing off lol