Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Instructions for replacing bumper lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Question Instructions for replacing bumper lights?

I bought some nice new bumper lights for my f body, but dont know exactly how to replace them. do I have to take off the whole front bumper to put them in or is there an easier way?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:05 PM

no you don't have to remove the bumper, i have also installed a set of clear turn signals but it is sort of a pain, Do it from under, It's easiest to take all the black plastic underneath off including the air duct, the hardest part is getting the old lights out, I put a 3/4" crack in my bumper doing it so be gentle even though that is hard to do. I can't remeber if they are bolted in or if they just snap in. It's defintly worth the trouble though, thet look great.

This was on my 2000 camaro, yours might fastened in different, it might be easier.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Wasn't too hard of an install. Got them both in in about an hour. thanks!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:11 PM

If you have a 98+ it is way easier. You just pop out the headlights and it takes all of 10 minutes to be completely done. But you have an LT1 so I heard they're more of a pain...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:52 PM

Re: Instructions for replacing bumper lights?

This was easy, I thought I'd update for future reference. I removed the bottom left and right plastic's BLACK with about 12 screws and also removed the air dam which kind of ties into those corner plastics... all in all like maybe 20 screws 2 different socket sizes and once I removed the old light I needed to remove the CLIP from the old light that the bottom screw mounts to and place it on the new light. It has a bent retainer so just bend it up and it will slide right off... 3 screws on each light.... then push up on the light to remove...

wasn't hard.. found my K&N air filter laying in the bottom once again? I swear either these suck or nobody knows how to mount them... I mounted it this time and it's solid, did it before replacing the plastics!

And I never expected the lights to as big as they are... they 'HIDE' behind the fascia/bumper!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution223
no you don't have to remove the bumper, i have also installed a set of clear turn signals but it is sort of a pain, Do it from under, It's easiest to take all the black plastic underneath off including the air duct, the hardest part is getting the old lights out, I put a 3/4" crack in my bumper doing it so be gentle even though that is hard to do. I can't remeber if they are bolted in or if they just snap in. It's defintly worth the trouble though, thet look great.

This was on my 2000 camaro, yours might fastened in different, it might be easier.
The reason you put a crack in your bumper is that you get them from the bottom. the headlights take 5 mins to remove, and then getting the marker lights out is a piece of cake.

To the OP, this doesnt work on the earlier models, and from what a friend of mine told me, going in from the bottom actually is your best bet. just be careful, and best of luck!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Just remove as much as you can. It helps, even if you're just replacing a burnt out bulb (and while you're down there, you better replace every bulb!)