Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Interior Lighting Styles???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 12:24 AM

Interior Lighting Styles???

Well I'm ganna jazz up the interior on the RS somewhat, I don't want to OVERDO it and I want it to look more classy than ricish however, but I guess the first and best way would be some nightlight...

What color and kind of lights should I use and where should I put the switch to make it look least tacky?... I was thinking Neons but I dunno really...If I use Neons where should I install them so they look well placed and I won't kick/step on them???

Thanks for the advice ya'll
Old 07-29-2004, 04:23 AM

Re: Interior Lighting Styles???

I know from experience that you will eventually grow out of the neon phase. The nicest setups are usually very subtle, and aren't BLAZING bright up in your face.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:23 AM

If you're going to do anything... it BETTER be LEDs.... not just from a styling standpoint, but from the point of you can hide the LED/light source so easially and just let the "glow" emit; otherwise in my personal opinion it looks like crap.

And please don't over-do it. I see these clown mobiles all over this city that just have lights glowing for everywhere they can stick them.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:05 AM

Try to keep everything as stock as possible...wiring, plastic, etc.
When you want to change again it will be harder going from one botched up job to the next.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
If you're going to do anything... it BETTER be LEDs.... not just from a styling standpoint, but from the point of you can hide the LED/light source so easially and just let the "glow" emit; otherwise in my personal opinion it looks like crap.

And please don't over-do it. I see these clown mobiles all over this city that just have lights glowing for everywhere they can stick them.
I agree here. replace anything that's backlit with an LED... perferably blue! oh yeah, don't forget the ceiling light.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:14 PM

I was going to do the LED's anyway... just a bit later.. preferably red or blue.. havn't decided on a black car yet... but I was thinking more for under-dash and backseat night lighting... I don't want it to look tacky and apparent but you know, just a glow and a barely visable (if visable at all) source... What should I use and place to get this affect? I don't want it to be seen and out there because it looks to plain and obvious, I was also thinking about cutting a small slit in my plastic console just above my radio just to the left of the word "Camaro" on the dash panel...and placing a sort of dull (but not TOO dull) red or blue tube or light... how would that look?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by SVT03
Again, with the rice. WTF is going on? Is every modification you can do appearance wise now looked upon as "rice"
No, but admit it, there's 100 fold more appearance parts orginally for imports than F-bodies. Also, with out plasticy environment it's kind of tough to do a perfect job that won't look ragedy... anyone else got any ideas as to what colors I should use? what kind of lights I should use? and the MOST important thing of em all... where I should mount them?

Thanks all...
Old 08-02-2004, 11:12 AM

I agree totally with you, Need4Camaro. A long time ago, in my Honda Passport, I used to have a 9" blue neon under the drivers and passenger seats. I simply sewed the neons onto the bottom of the seats, so if I ever decided to take them off I could just snip the thread. Here's a pic from a while ago....right before I took them out of the car. *NOTE: In the pic the neons look brighter than in reality, because the camera didn't focus properly*

http://site21566.dellhost.com/images...r%20Lights.jpg

Last edited by Tair; 08-02-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 PM

Wow lol THATS where that blue skyline is coming from over the Horizon???... j/k I like it, if it's not as bright as you said just a tad of a duller glow would be perfect for me, where did you mount those again and how did you control them?
Old 08-04-2004, 02:33 PM

I used something nobody else has proably used yet. I took a set of those blue led windshield washer lights that my buddy gave me off of his truck and but then under my dash. They light up enough to see everything on the floor board but it doesnt side trackyou from driving. I also just wired mine up to the interior light switch since they are low wattage. The best part is they are in a cassing so when you kick them they dont bust. I have had mine for over a year. And you can screw then into the plastic
Old 08-04-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 95Zdroptop
I used something nobody else has proably used yet. I took a set of those blue led windshield washer lights that my buddy gave me off of his truck and but then under my dash. They light up enough to see everything on the floor board but it doesnt side trackyou from driving. I also just wired mine up to the interior light switch since they are low wattage. The best part is they are in a cassing so when you kick them they dont bust. I have had mine for over a year. And you can screw then into the plastic
holy **** thats a good idea...

I wanted a subtle glow on the floor boards in blue, but couldn't think of anything I was thinking of trying leds but I might try that instead.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:04 PM

Not a bad idea...

I have access to enough different colors/styles/powers of LEDs that I don't have to worry about that style and the such.

and those windshield washer lights are LEDs...
Old 08-07-2004, 11:14 AM

Thats a pretty cool idea... Might try that. Can you post any pic's of that?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:55 PM

I dont really have any good pictures except the one on my web page put its not that good. If you enlarge it you can see a blue glow. It shows you though its not to bright but enough to light things up.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/245983/1
Its the picture on the first page the whole way to the bottom. Its a picture of the gauges. Sorry its all I have.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:15 AM

Not trying to hijack a thread here, but how do you change the lights in the instrument cluster? I use to have the guide bookmarked, but I cant find it. Also what stores carry leds?

Quick Reply: Interior Lighting Styles???