Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

My 97 Z4C project...A Work in Progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 09:08 PM

Re: My 97 Z4C project...A Work in Progress

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Welcome back ! ! !

Unfortunately, there's not many of us left here any more. A lot has changed since 2014. Fortunately, the little activity that takes place is mostly LT1 and 4th Gen related. Good to see the activity picking up.
I understand folks are quick to move on and out, even manufacturers to bigger and better and of course newer things!

Oh well, I will do my best to make it more active and perhaps motivate someone in my shoes to knock the dust off!
Old 11-01-2022, 11:05 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Yep, we are all much older here and we mimic the ages of our cars. I like the line that fine wine gets better with age....so I drink a lot of that ;-) Keep going, the alternative is unthinkable.
p.s. I am now listening to the Beach Boys singing "Custom Machine"...never growing up I guess!

Last edited by GaryDoug; 11-01-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Yep, we are all much older here and we mimic the ages of our cars. I like the line that fine wine gets better with age....so I drink a lot of that ;-) Keep going, the alternative is unthinkable.
p.s. I am now listening to the Beach Boys singing "Custom Machine"...never growing up I guess!
you got that right…MUCH older lol! You are correct about mimicking cars, however at 59 now, I had a 69 GTO in high school and didn’t realize what a Jewel I had then, I’d gladly trade the Z28 for it and twice on Sunday now to have it back. Prices are so outrageous now that’s what led me to the 90s cars, and I have had several, well four to be exact. No my body says it’s an 59 but my mind still says 20s!
Old 11-02-2022, 11:12 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by 97Z4CZ28
you got that right…MUCH older lol! You are correct about mimicking cars, however at 59 now, I had a 69 GTO in high school and didn’t realize what a Jewel I had then, I’d gladly trade the Z28 for it and twice on Sunday now to have it back. Prices are so outrageous now that’s what led me to the 90s cars, and I have had several, well four to be exact. No my body says it’s an 59 but my mind still says 20s!
I had the best late 20's....exotic European sports car and beautiful blonde chick. To my discredit, neither of them are around now but fun to think about. Lessons ALMOST learned ;-)
Old 11-03-2022, 10:32 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by 97Z4CZ28
Note that the car on the right side of the Beach Boys "'Shut Down 2 " album is a 1964 GTO.

I have this single on 45:

Last edited by GaryDoug; 11-03-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:11 AM

Well, a quick update on progress. I have been sanding on the rear portion and pretty much got everything major down just need to get the cracks and crannies and she will be ready to prep and primer then paint. Don't have pics yet but will post before I prep and paint. By Christmas time I hope to get fuel tank reinstalled and or course fuel lines ran and new Inline Tube brake lines as well. Then to suspension, so we are getting there, slowly but surely.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:41 AM

Update as of 3/20/23

All of the sanding, priming, painting underneath is complete except where I just had a couple small, palm sized patches welded into floor board in corners on both sides from no doubt when T tops leaked. Of course it’s been garaged since I’ve had so was prior to me but addressed none the less. Fuel tank is installed and all fuel lines installed, new charcoal canister and new purge & vent valves and all those lines installed. Access panel to fuel pump is done. New Delphi fuel pump/sender assembly installed. Driveshaft loop installed and fixing to install rear suspension. I have to sand and prime/ain’t where patch pieces were welded in. The metal inside car was also sanded and primed with POR15, not top coated as it will be covered with Sound deadener and carpet. Pics to follow and if one has ever completely stripped underneath a car, primed and painted, then one will know what it entails. I’m a one man show so I am slow, but sure 😉

This is where I left off, where the white is in this photo.

Talk about a pain in the rear shew!

Inside had some light surface rust so I got those areas hard. Cleaned, prepped, painted with POR15.

Some will think I am insane perhaps I am but the white is sure gonna make the different colors of everything pop. No it won’t see bad weather.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:18 PM

Black fender wells contrast good to the white!

The line between white & black.

I forgot to mention I ordered new hard brake line kit from Inline Tube. Installed and the long line to rear was spot on the line from ABS to passenger side was short on the Drivers side. I was able to still use without looking like Bubba got ahold of it. They were well made though.

Bottom side of fuel tank with padding installed.

Fuel tank padding installed and fuel pump/sender assembly installed.

Straps on and tightened down. Did this without help and it was a bear luckily I didn’t scrape or tear anything up! New insulation is what makes hard to do.

Another view installed.

AC Delco charcoal cans new can still be had for less than price of an aftermarket one!

Buttoned up and done.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:27 PM

New AC Delco emergency brake cable installed. The two separate cables that are new AC Delco cables as well won’t be installed till I get the Rearend installed.

Hard to see, but if you look hard enough, you can see the stainless, braided fuel lines coming into the back of the firewall behind the brake booster. AN fittings with quick connect connectors.

Stainless Fuel line connections to hard lines.

Another view of stainless and hard fuel lines under car.

New AC Delco Rear Brakes finally assembly after being heat painted years ago now. Still have to paint weights and install. These will look good across stainless slotted and drilled rotors inside white ZR1s.

Heat shields installed.

Sheet metal access cover installed with small adhesive insulation around bottom to prevent rattling. Started to use a piano hinge but decided this was just as easy to do.

Spohn mid length torque arm mount/ driveshaft loop installed.

Have the rear sway bar mount installed on frame, along with hard brake line/fuel tank vent valve installed.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:41 PM

Few more…

View of the fuel lines and hard brake line goes to the rear looking across from the passenger side prior to the driveshaft loop being installed.

No AN fitting on the stainless steal EVAP Vent line that goes to the charcoal canister. A barbed steel fitting was used between a piece of fuel hose and the stainless, to the nylon line.

This is where the stainless lines come in to the driver side wheel, well utilizing holes in the frame that way they are protected, as well as they will be behind a fender well.

This is where the stainless fuel lines pop out under the frame or out of the frame. Either way you wanna look at it. They’re tucked up underneath where they won’t hang down. Of course they have a clamp to hold them as seen here and other places.

This is where I popped a whole with a grommet to drop down into the fender well.

Quick connect fittings to the fuel rails.

Last edited by 97Z4CZ28; 03-20-2023 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Correcting description
Old 07-11-2023, 09:32 AM

Old 07-13-2023, 09:03 PM

Well, another update of some progress, albeit slow but still. Still have to button everything up, and of course until the suspension is loaded on its own wheels then I can of course button many things up, adjust pinion angle and such. Not pictured are the sway bar brackets. Still have brake lines, brake calipers, drilled/slotted rotors, brake hoses, and emergency brake cables. A list of suspension components installed are below.

BMR Upper Panhard Bar and Relocation Bracket
Spohn Lower Adjustable Panhard Bar
Spohn Lower Control Arms
Spohn LCA Lowering Brackets
Spohn Mid Length Driveshaft Loop
Spohn Mid Length Adjustable Torque Arm
UMI Aftermarket Torque Arm Bracket Bolt/Spacer Kit
Spohn Swar Bar Bracket Kit (Not Pictured)
Spohn Sway Bar End Link Kit

Note the UMI bolt/spacer kit comes with four bolts, two fit and two did not. Spacers are needed as the aftermarket bolts are are to small for bracket holes, they were utilized. I chose not to use any of the supplied bolts and instead used Stainless Socket Head Bolts.

Old 11-24-2023, 02:58 PM

Outstanding!
Great work.
Glad to see that you stuck with it after all of these years.
Been lurking here for a while but had to sign up today to reply to this thread for my first post.
Again, nice work.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:14 PM

Thumbs up Re: My 97 Z4C project...A Work in Progress

Appreciate it! Definitely a labor of love. I just ordered tubular upper/lower a arms from BMR and soon will complete the front end suspension, and hopefully get her on the ground sometime after the first of the year. Stay tuned there is more to come
Old 11-26-2023, 06:55 PM

Looks good.

Quick Reply: My 97 Z4C project...A Work in Progress