Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

My philosophy on hoods, prepare to comment!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008 | 05:38 PM

My philosophy on hoods, prepare to comment!

I don't want to hate on them or be rude about them, but here's my philosophy on hoods. If you get one of the more ridiculous looking hoods (particularly 4 inch cowls or 4 inch SS scoops), you need a reason that makes that hood necessary. Otherwise, what is the deal with them? They lower your visibility and look just plain stupid on cars without serious engine mods that won't fit under the stock hood.

If you aren't going to smuggle immigrants under it, don't get a 4 inch cowl on a non-carbureted car.

If you aren't going to have a blower of some sort or some crazy air intake, don't get one of those taller SS style hoods.

I've been on here for years, and still can't figure out why so many people want to put stupid lumpy looking hoods on their cars.

If the Honda ricers or even the Ferrari guys were doing the same thing to their cars, we'd be pointing and laughing our asses off. We already do point and laugh at the guys putting the Buick engine compartment vents on their cars, and the chrome fender accents. So why are we still putting these hideous hoods on our cars?

If the hood isn't fulfilling a functional improvement, and it looks like crap, then it's just that: crap.

I don't want this to be an argument, but if you like them, or have them, just say why you do. Maybe you can change my mind on them, because right now, I still just think they are ridiculous mistakes and can't understand why anybody would spend their money on something that just looks disgusting.

Last edited by Brangeta; 05-18-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2008 | 05:46 PM

Pictures:

This last one makes me want to barf, but I can only assume and hope there's something massive hiding under that cancerous tumor.

Old 05-18-2008 | 05:47 PM

everyone has their own oppinion, you say "if the hood isnt fulfilling a functional improvement, and it looks like crap, then it's crap" but other people might think it looks nice.

i have a 3" ss hood on my car (mostly stock) because i like the way it looks. ill be doing a healty list of modifications to the car soon, but that shouldnt really matter, as long as it doesnt look hacked together or anything (mine isnt painted and i have it on, but i was told this is necesary for gel coat hoods before paint) then i dont mind it. i've seem some hondas and other "ricers" that i thought had HIDEOUS body parts but i didnt mind because it actually looked like whoever did the work, put some time into it and gave a damn.

everyone has their own oppinion is what it comes down to, and in all honesty, theres almost nothing that would really REQUIRE one of the taller hoods, most engines and intakes can fit under the stock hood (maybe carbed SBC's and BBC's of coarse) but still, of all the car's that have aftermarket hoods on this website, i'd bet around 90% of them DONT need it.
Old 05-18-2008 | 06:00 PM

Well, the reason the old cars used to have cowl hoods, is because they allowed the owners to put on larger air cleaners for their carbureted engines. They also collected air from gaps at the windshield, so the extra hump helped a lot. They don't have any function whatsoever on fuel injected engines. They can look really cool on the first gens because the cars are already square.

I know you know this 69z-28, but I wanted to mention that for some of the younger guys who may not know that.
Old 05-18-2008 | 06:08 PM
Banned

Does that mean you think my hood is ugly?

Name:  DSC_1576.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  157.7 KB
Old 05-18-2008 | 06:10 PM

I am going to disagreee. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cowl hoods. Even that huge one on the Silver Z. Gives the such a "FAST" apperance.
Old 05-18-2008 | 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
Does that mean you think my hood is ugly?
Well... I have to be honest, but I do like stock better Alan. It looks fine on your car because of the stripes, but I don't think it's an improvement from what you had. It's almost like a rhino horn.

I mean... just look how sleek this looks:
Old 05-18-2008 | 09:59 PM

Not that I ''hate'' after market hoods, some look good but for myself I completely agree with the author.

....nice clean 30th
Old 05-19-2008 | 08:02 AM

I can understand somefolks don't like aftermarket hoods but it's diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

Personally I think the stock 4th gen hoods (excluding T/A and SS) are the ugliest hoods found on a sports car period. The Lt1 hoods look off, and the Ls1 hoods look like somebody couldn't figure out a design and just decided to cover the bare spot over the engine.

I agree with the big hoods to cover something idea. In my defense I'm sticking a carbed engine in there this year. I planned ahead when I purchased my hood.

~Jim~
Old 05-19-2008 | 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Well... I have to be honest, but I do like stock better Alan. It looks fine on your car because of the stripes, but I don't think it's an improvement from what you had. It's almost like a rhino horn.
Eh, everybody has their own opinions. It's ok if yours is wrong.

I agree with the overly tall hoods looking gaudy, and should only be used if necessary for clearance. I found an LS1 Camaro on ebay a few weeks ago with a 6" cowl hood with nothing under there requiring that sort of clearance.

Edit: Here it is...

All of that hood to contain this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...D10%26_fvi%3D1

Last edited by shock6906; 05-19-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906

Thanks for posting that! Now my day is ruined early! j/k
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Thanks for posting that! Now my day is ruined early! j/k
Could you imagine making a right-hand turn with that hood? You'd have no idea where you were going!
Old 05-19-2008 | 09:17 AM

LOL You're right!
Old 05-20-2008 | 07:16 PM

I thought cowled hoods got rid of hot stagnant air in the engine compartment, but 6 inches is over the top of what is needed.
Old 05-20-2008 | 08:27 PM

I love cowl hoods but prefer 2.5" - 3".

Quick Reply: My philosophy on hoods, prepare to comment!