Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

need help with interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 PM

need help with interior lighting

i have a purple pearl metallic 93z. now just in case your wondering on the color it changes through out the day. here is as close as i can getName:  IMAG0187.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  69.2 KB
i bought the car with purple door handle led lights. i really actually liked them. they both ripped out doing the door speakers... i want to put them back in along with maybe one or 2 around my cup holder nad one by my heat controls above the head unit. Now my question is where can i get these lights at? how do i install them? and how do i run the wires? id like them to be run to a switch or just come on with the headlights. i am by no means a wiring guru... im actually terrible and horrified by wires. so pictures would be a huge help.

by the way im open to suggestions of anything cooler you have to offer. thanks in advance -nintythreeZ28
Old 10-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Re: need help with interior lighting

i dont know where you could get lights, but as for power, i spliced into ash tray light for power. not really sure how much you can draw though. im fine, because i hooked up 7 LEDs, which probably draw less than the incandescent light bulb that was previously there (that light bulb is now gone)
Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 AM

I don't have a ash tray light so that won't work
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM

you never had one? thats strange. well, find any light that goes on with the parking lights, and tap into that. theres probably a signal wire for that behind the radio. youll need a wiring diagram to find it.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM

I'll check it out. Then just run the lights wires both to the cord?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 PM

walmart sells the led strips.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Evil Lord Lucas
walmart sells the led strips.
yes... walmart sells everything... but how do you wire them to come on with a switch
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM

so you want them to come on with either a switch, or the headlights? unfortunately, thats a bit more complex than it sounds. youll need to use relays. id definitely go with micro relays to save some stress on the electrical system. the way id do it is wire it up through the switch, then add a wire around the switch, and put that through the relay. so you basically have 2 switches in parallel. one is the switch, one is the relay. then hook up the inputs of the relay to any source of power that only works with the headlights. there are other ways to do it, obviously, thats just the way i would.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 AM

so that didnt make any sense to me... your going to have to dumb it down a little bit. i got lost when you said relay? what is it? nad i need 2 parallel switches? idk waht that means either.

sorry this stuff just really confuses me
Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 PM

ok, a relay is, in essence, a switch. however, its not activated by you, its activated by a relatively small current running through it. so it has 4 connections. 2 of them are wired like a switch. and the other 2 are wired to get power when you want it to turn on. so what you want it do is make it turn on when your lights come on. does that help? if not, ill draw you a diagram. i dont have time to do it right now, i have to go to work. ill do one tonight. best of luck!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:03 PM

ya id like to be able to flip a switch and have my leds light up. im planning on putting one in the cupholder (keep spilling beer all over) and maybe somewhere eils
Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Buy your strip lights of LED's on Ebay- I bought 8 10" strips less than the price of 2 at Wal-mart.

If you aren't using your cigarette lighter for anything that draws a LOT of power, ie- convertors, portable compressor etc, you should be able to just tap into the wires for that- IIRC should be a black and orange wire- black being ground, orange being hot. It is really easy to do, you can put a switch just about anywhere you please. LED's hardly draw any current at all and even if you put them everywhere I doubt it would come close to popping anything.

If you aren't comfortable with it, find a buddy who is. Its really hard to explain wiring on a forum sometimes where someone there can show you in a matter of minutes what takes hours of replies back and forth to answer your questions here. Once you understand the basic principles of wiring, it is easy so don't sweat it too much.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 AM

ok, heres a diagram:

i drew up a third 'branch' with dotted lines to show that you can add as many switches as you want by adding more branches to the circuit. only one of those has to be on in order for the LEDs to come on. now, i wouldnt recommend that you have the LEDs come on anytime the headlights are on. i would install a hidden switch that hooks up to the same branch as the relay. so in series with the relay. if that switch is off, the headlights cant activate the LEDs. if its on, the headlights have control. let me know if you have any more questions
Old 10-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
Buy your strip lights of LED's on Ebay- I bought 8 10" strips less than the price of 2 at Wal-mart.

If you aren't using your cigarette lighter for anything that draws a LOT of power, ie- convertors, portable compressor etc, you should be able to just tap into the wires for that- IIRC should be a black and orange wire- black being ground, orange being hot. It is really easy to do, you can put a switch just about anywhere you please. LED's hardly draw any current at all and even if you put them everywhere I doubt it would come close to popping anything.

If you aren't comfortable with it, find a buddy who is. Its really hard to explain wiring on a forum sometimes where someone there can show you in a matter of minutes what takes hours of replies back and forth to answer your questions here. Once you understand the basic principles of wiring, it is easy so don't sweat it too much.
ya my ciggerette lighter is used to power my electric fans. can i still have a switch ran off of it?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:31 AM

Well just took a shot at it today. I have a simple on off switch wired to the cig. Lighter along with my electric fan. It has power the light on the switch comes on. Now I think I bought lights meant for a plug in, the 2 wires on the led are about 3/8 in. Long and folded over. I put them all over the switch looking for it to light up with no results. Don't be harsh cause of how illerate i may be with wires. But is my problem the wrong lights or what? I can take a pic also if needed