Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

need a straight Answer - LED dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 PM

need a straight Answer - LED dash lights

I would like to upgrade all my dash lighting to LED, i;ll probaly go with orange or red, however I cannot get some stragiht answers to some simple questions,

1. If you replace all the dash lights with LED's, Does the dimmer functiom still work???

2. What is the Bulb type for the Automatic Shift Selector, the door switch light, & the A/C trim? Is it the same bulb for the headlight **** panel?

3. How Difficult is it to replace the A/C panel lights? How about the Headligth **** panel lights?

4. While i'm here, whats a good site to get the bulbs from?
Thanks

Last edited by Evolution223; 07-24-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Re: need a straight Answer - LED dash lights

LED's are typically dimable. They actually run off of about 3 volts, so a resistor is installed inline.

I bought some 5mm LED's at Advance auto parts for my 5th gen, and they had them already on them. I did that in the beginning to do the ambient dash lighting. Then I bought the GM lamps to finish it off.

I haven't bought any LED's to replace my incandescent bulbs so I have no recommended site.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Alright, I done some research and this is what I have so far.

I found this article
http://www.camarozone.com/how-to-cha...shifter-light/

the bulb for the shifter plate is a #74

#74 LED's are available here

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html

Question is, is the bulb for the A/C & light control panels the same Type?

From the Q&A on that site

If I install LED bulbs in the dash, will the dimmer still work?
Yes, LED bulbs will dim with your dash light intensity control

Last edited by Evolution223; 07-25-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 PM

check it out, they have an application guide on that site, this identifies every bulb Number for the dash

http://www.superbrightleds.com/vehic.../camaro/11/321

but this thing is not very good, I still dont know what bulbs to order for the A/C or the light control panel. Anyone Know?

Last edited by Evolution223; 07-25-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 PM

the LED for the door panels, the shifter plate, and HVAC are all the same #74. If you get them from superbrightleds you'll want the "74-xhp3" otherwise they wont disperse light properly. The stock bulbs are probably one of the more irritating things to remove. Best method I've seen and used is to wrap the bulb in a tissue and crush it. Throw away the glass shards and pull the base out by the filament with some pliers. If you don't wanna do that you'll be spending your entire day trying to pry those stupid bulbs out.

The headlight **** bulb isn't the same, Its a "3mm-NEO whp" screw type bulb and is super easy to replace.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 PM

thanks so much, I'll get these bulbs on order and update this post when I get them in,

i'm glad you mentioned the 74-xhp3, I would have not chosaen those because of fear they were too big to fit, but thanks.

thanks again.

Last edited by Evolution223; 07-25-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by skuttduck
LED's are typically dimable. They actually run off of about 3 volts, so a resistor is installed inline.

I bought some 5mm LED's at Advance auto parts for my 5th gen, and they had them already on them. I did that in the beginning to do the ambient dash lighting. Then I bought the GM lamps to finish it off.

I haven't bought any LED's to replace my incandescent bulbs so I have no recommended site.
now that you mention this it appears the bulbs on this superbrightleds.com site have internal resistors inside too. It says on their site in the FAQ's that their bulbs will work with the dimmers the same as normal bulbs.

thanks for the help
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 AM

everything you need to know http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...-led-list.html
Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 AM

Here is a good one as well:
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...p?topic=1077.0
I changed my instrument cluster, but havent gotten around to the hvac or shifter lights. i read somewhere a dude used dental floss, worked it down around the base and popped it out. but crushing it works too. sometimes its good to break stuff.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM

That list is so Good I'm reposting it here,

Interior:
Gauge Cluster - 5 of the WLEDx5
They come with resistors built in, so they are completely plug and play. To make them distribute light well, you need to grind down the tip of the LEDs until they are flat.

Rear View Mirror - 2 of 4410x9 Festoon LED Bulbs
Direct replacement for stock bulbs. They are a lot easier than trying to rip the mirror apart to fit boards in there.

Dome/Trunk Light/Rear Seat Lights - Fixed Loop Festoon Bulb
These are a direct replacement for the blubs. I made some custom boards that I could make in small amounts for others who are not good w/ soldering. They are a lot cheaper than the festoons. Ill also post up how to make them.

Colored Door Lights - 2 of 74-x or 74-xHP
Either one will work. I went with the HP because they are brighter and they look great.

Shifter Light - 74-x or 74-xHP or 74-xHP3
Either of the first two will work, but do not provide to much light. I would suggest the third to make sure light is distributed evenly.

Glove Light - WLEDx5
I used the WLEDx5, but any of the WLED series will work. This provides great light though so I dont plan to switch.

HVAC - 3 of 74-xHP3
I havent used these, but fbody96rs vouches for them.

TCS/Monsoon/Odometer - Not Available
These need to be soldered into the area. Most LEDs can just use a 470 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor attached to the individual LED. I will post up about doing this as well when I get a chance to make one.

Headlight Switch - NEO3-x
I havent used these either, but fbody96rs vouches that they fit also.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 PM

BTW, I ordered a complete set in amber except for the the Gauge bulbs, I can use standard Sylvania amber bulbs for those for less $.

Gauges should look good in Orange & red.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM

don't forget if you have a 93-96 camaro it takes 7 for the gauges 10 if you want to do the turn signals and high beam indicator. the 5 is only for the 97-02 camaro and 93-02 birds.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 PM

I am very new to this but this sounds so badass, all of the posts so far I have figured out where to buy and what type. But can anyone tell me how hard each install was ex:gauges and rear view mirror?
Also I would love to some pics or videos would be awesome.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawPerforman
I am very new to this but this sounds so badass, all of the posts so far I have figured out where to buy and what type. But can anyone tell me how hard each install was ex:gauges and rear view mirror?
Also I would love to some pics or videos would be awesome.
Thanks
Changing the interior bulbs is easy, the only thing I dont know about is the A/C control panel but I'm sure that is easy to, everything else is easy, just start taking the stuff apart, you'll figure it out.

I wouldn't try to change the gauge background myself, I'd be afraid or screwing up the neeedles.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM

I installed my Orange bulbs today, All the Installs were extremely easy to do.

the A/C panel took 2 bulbs, loosen the panel, pull it out about 1/2" and the bulbs are right there on top. This could not be any easier to do.

I used these

74-xHP3: Wedge Base LED bulb-74-AHP3: Amber

NEOx-xHP: NEOx High Power LED Instrument bulb-NEO3-AHP: 3mm NEO3-xHP Amber

the NEO is not bright enough to illuminate the symbols above the ****, only the brightness **** symbol

the #74's work very well in the A/C Panel, but only okay in the Shifter Panel, it lights the Shifter panel evenly, just not as bright as stock.

I used Sylvania amber bulbs in the gauges which turned out nice, kind of a yellow color.

BYW, the dimmer does not work with the LED's so it is good that I still used standard bulbs in the gauges, the only thing that works is when you turn the dash lights off then the LEDs will also turn off, but they will not dim at all.

Overall, the orange is okay, I have a JVC radio that has a adjustable color display so I adjusted it to match the orange color perfectly, the center control looks like a nissan now with the orange., which is kind of cool, however, I do not like the fact that bulbs do not dim, I might end up just putting standard bulbs back in, and I would have to buy all new bulbs because I had to break every single stock bulb to get them out of the sockets.

I dont know, I'll have to leave these orange bulbs in for a while before I decide if I want to keep them or not. Glad I did not Blow $30 on the Dash bulbs, would have been extremely dissapointed if I did to find out that THEY DO NOT DIM WITH THE DIMMER!!

I will post pics of the orange in the next day or 2.

Last edited by Evolution223; 08-02-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: need a straight Answer - LED dash lights