Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Paint Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 11:57 AM

Paint Scratch

Hey,

I just got my car out of storage on Saturday, had down at my Grandma's for Easter and it looks like one of the local kids fell or something and put about a 6" long scratch on the top of my fender by the front fascia and hood. This is a very noticeable area. They've scratched it down through the paint. The car is Cyclamen or metallic purple. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix it without repainting the fender? I am selling the car, so I don't want to put much money into trying to fix it.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 01:52 PM

No matter what it will require paint. But if you find someone good enough they can spot repair the area (blend) with out redoing the whole fender. Most bodyshops would sand the whole fender repair the scratch, blend just the base and clear the whole fender. But it can be done with just a base and clear blend in the effected area only. But it isn't really much cheaper or quicker. With the panel reclear, you retain most of the original color and reduce the risk of the blended clear from pealing later on.
It would be cheaper if you could find a buddy that is capable of doing it for you for a 6-pack
Old 04-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gregmondro
here's some things to try, not sure if they'll work, but depending on how deep the scratch is, it might help make it less noticeable.

Claybar it.

if that doesn't work, try that Scratch X stuff from wal-mart. Some members on another board say it works very well depending on the scratch.
That scratch x doesn't work for ****
Old 04-21-2003, 04:01 PM

i have a few scratches i want to touch up myself, is all that scratch-be-gone kinda stuff bull?
Old 04-22-2003, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by rlax31
i have a few scratches i want to touch up myself, is all that scratch-be-gone kinda stuff bull?
The 'scratch-be-gone' stuff works about as good as a set of 12X12 wheels on a Honda. That sh....uh..stuff is a gimmick, it is nothing more than colored wax. You'd do just as well with a crayon. Light scratches can be buffed out with light wet sanding and some carefull buffing (being sure not to 'burn' through the clear) anything deep enough to catch your finger nail descently is usually a candidate for paint, since clearcoat is thinner than paper (especially factory paint)
I always laugh out loud when I see those comercials for that crap on TV. Because I know it is utter BULL. Oh, and that Ding King thingy is bullcrap too.

By the way, I don't play a painter on TV, but I do do it for a living in the really real world.

Last edited by Bralgar; 04-22-2003 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:36 AM

i agree, get it filled in and sprayed over really quick, they just put ur paint code in get the paint, and paint over the scratch, so its less noticable, Ive seen the results, it looks much better, although if you look closely you can still see the blemish