Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Painting Fenders...Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:44 PM

Question Painting Fenders...Need advice

Ok, I bought some green fenders and i need to paint them white. Well i started out by sanding them to get all of the clear off with 340 grit sandpaper, then i moved onto wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper. Is this the right step to do right before priming?

After spraying the primer on i plan on putting down a few coats of paint and then a few coats of clear. So did i do the sanding right?

Thanks Guys!
Old 04-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

No clue. But, these two pages might help a little

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/repaint.htm

http://www.projecttransam.com/Projects11.asp
Old 04-15-2004, 11:49 PM

No, you are way off. Take this to a professional, if you bring him the fenders in hand, it will be cheap, especially if they have been sanded.

Generally, if you are topcoating a good paint job, simply sand the part with 600 until it level all the orange peel, and you are ready to go. Since you have sanded all the clear off, the panel will need to be sealed first. So you have to seal it, color, and clear. That would be it. The 2000 is pointless as it won't remove 320 grit scratches and if you sanded the entire panel with 2000 in the first place, loss of adhesion problems would become apparent very shortly.

Patrick
Old 04-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by lownslocamaro
No, you are way off. Take this to a professional...
Yeah... that's kinda the way I feel about paint/body work. I try to do most stuff to my car myself but this is an area I just don't even bother with. As you can see in the above thread, I was going to once give it a shot but never did

So, for now, for me, paint/body work and head porting... I'll let a real professional do it so they don't have to undo my screw-up

Maybe I'll buy a F*rd and practice some paint work on it? LOL!
Old 04-16-2004, 12:22 AM

I want to change the color of my fenders from crap green to my bright white. I figured that if i sanded it smooth and primed it then there still would be sratches for the primer to stick to...Well i guess i am wrong in this assumption.

And there is no way in hell i am going pay $500 to paint 2 fenders

So since i sanded off all of the clear and now it is smooth, what is the next step. Sand it again with my 340 grit? or should i go lower?

In the page you posted it said to sand with 600 grit and then prime. Should i do this? Primer is black right so then it will just cover up all of the green so i probably should have no problem keeping the fenders green and then changing the color....Right?
Old 04-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the other problem you have with white is that it is VERY difficult to "butt match" Meaning, I'd bet you a case of brews that you will not be happy with the job even if a pro did it and did not blend in the fenders with the doors. You might think white is white but it isn't. If a pro were doing it I do believe there is a very good chance that even he/she couldn't match it adequately if just painting only the fenders. Of course, a fender that is a shade of white off might look better than green
Old 04-16-2004, 12:34 AM

Well i was going to get a direct match off of one of my doors or the hood...So hopefully it will all work out. My uncle will be the one painting them so i guess i should just give them to him. He paints cars and decals so i guess it will all work out. I was just trying to get it all ready so that he will just have to paint instead of sand. But apparently i am doing it wrong
Old 04-16-2004, 12:46 PM

you're not to far off. resand the panel with 400 grit. get some good poly primer-surfacer and spray it on. Valspar sunfil 92b060 slightly reduced will work just fine. Hand sand wet with 500-600 or dry with 400. (I wouldn't attempt to use a machine on our fenders because of all the bends). Follow up with a color coat (I recommend ppg "dbu" series) followed by a good clear (such as PPg DCU 2001 high solids clear). If you use the products mentioned above you will not have to add a flex additive and should have good results.
Just a little thought though, expect to pay somewhere between $200-$300 for the neccessary materials to do it right. Dont skimp and you should have a good looking repair.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had my friend paint my porsche a few years ago but i couldnt remember what the sanding process was.

Yeah i wont skimp on the materials. **** it costed $1000 for the materials to paint my porsche. Expensive!

Thanks Again!