Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Painting my car at Maaco unfortunately

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:28 PM

Painting my car at Maaco unfortunately

I'm going off to college and need a paint job for my car. I don't have the money to spend $800 for a decent paint job or $1500+ for a good one. So I am considering just a Maaco special. Am I doomed to have it repainted this coming fall? Any comments?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:53 PM

Thanks alot. I know prep work must be discussed alot here so I will search that. Any good sites that I may overlook? I've painted my fender and it came out great for costing $5, but its not the same as a professional job of course. Should I remove trim pieces and stuff like that as well such as the rubber along the window and door frame?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:57 PM

Here's a good read for you

http://hotrodders.com/kb/body-exterior/articles.html

They got body filler write ups and even ghost flames
Old 04-12-2004, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys! I am going to get an estimate right now. I think I am having them shave my antenna while I am at it and I am getting a new bumper.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:25 PM

So if I prep the car its $275 which isn't bad. They said just rough up the whole car with 300 grit sandpaper. Is that why it comes out so bad? Should I smooth it out and do a better job?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:47 PM

I have an 81 Z28 that I had Maaco paint black several years ago... I think they did a great job... I was actually surprised how it came out... I wasn't looking for a show car finish, just something that would shine and look good... It did have a couple of small places that the paint ran... But then again, a buddy of mine had his Mustang painted by a Ford dealer body shop and it had more runs... So it depends a lot on the painter... I removed the tail lights, grille and headlight/parking light bezels... If you sand it yourself, make sure you get every spot you can... If you miss a spot, it just leaves a place where the paint or primer may not stick as well and maybe peel later on.... If you have a few Maacos in your area, I'd go to them all and check out the quality of the paint jobs and painters also... Keep a good coat of wax on it and it should last a while.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:57 PM

If you do all the prep work, take everything off yourself(and put it back on), why not take it to a real shop. You would be paying for the paint, a couple hours of refinish time, masking paper and tape . It would look a lot better and last a lot longer. Don't let them shave the antenna, they will just fill it with bondo and it will crumble very shortly. Btw, I think Macao sucks, I've seen there work, not good.

Patrick
Old 04-12-2004, 09:51 PM

I am not gonna let them shave my antenna! I can't even imagine what that would look like. Thanks for all of the input and tips, I am so excited. I'm getting a new bumper too!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:46 AM

I went to maaco when I was looking for someone to do my paintjob. The guy told me to put the gfx,hood,and wing on myself then they'll paint the car with everything on. He wouldn't touch under the hood,the trunk, or the door jams. If I didn't have the money I would save before resorting to that kind of service.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:41 AM

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:51 AM

Man, sounds like they do a crappy job. $325 and that inludes materials? A two stage paint and clear coat will run you at least that much. Ask what kind of stuff they are using, like 1 or 2 stage paint, urethane primer, and anything else you can think of. I would take it to a real place, and have it done right for about $500 more.

I am a proke college student too, and I am painting my car myself, and it's still gonna cost around $625, and that incluses $150 gun.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:14 AM

For $325 I dont think he's getting a clearcoat. I got my old car painted by them and paid that much (I didn't prep the car though and I didn't get a clearcoat).

Maaco can do a good job-my neighbor owns a Maaco down here in FL. When I got my car back it looked amazing and lasted for about 2 years before I sold it. He also got his car painted by his workers and it looks amazing (he shows it-a 57 Chevy).

Its just the majority of the time they make stupid little mistakes that makes their customers upset
Old 04-13-2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by notstock4long
Man, sounds like they do a crappy job. $325 and that inludes materials? A two stage paint and clear coat will run you at least that much. Ask what kind of stuff they are using, like 1 or 2 stage paint, urethane primer, and anything else you can think of. I would take it to a real place, and have it done right for about $500 more.

I am a proke college student too, and I am painting my car myself, and it's still gonna cost around $625, and that incluses $150 gun.
I just don't care enough to pay $500 more for a better paint job. And you may pay $625 for materials, but the gun is reuseable and they get bulk paint rates so they may get better prices than you. If you want to split the cost of the better paint job I'd be game for that though.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:24 AM

To behonest... I had a macco job on my 85....

Car had alot of sparkle, was clearcoated. I got lots of compliments on it, hell the uy I sold that car to, put in a chromed 350, painted the engine bay black, but overall I thought the car came out perfrect.

Only problem I have, is the dealer put a plaque on the rear bumper, they saved it off and filled the holes, but a year later had a bubble they fixed for free.

ohh... by the way I had body damage, and surface rust on the roof. I replaced body parts with junkyard parts, ended up with a white fender a faded blue hood, (mine had cancer rust in it) on a gray car.

total it cost me $500, I had a coupon that knocked like $150 off but saw the car over valentine's day, and paint looked good(guy kinda fecked up the car) I think its about 5 years old now, in Florida sun. Thing I was most worried about was the rust coming back. But it never did.

I never did and it came out fine but I woudl pull the tailights, turn signals and grill...

Another problem I can think of is the trim peice along the side of the car... they had a little overspray on it, I got it off but I shoudl have just taken it off, and put a new one on or left it off... I woudl consider the same with any badges as well.

pics of the car well after the paint job, check them all out so you can get a good look at the car.

http://www.mustangeater825.50megs.co...20leftrear.jpg

http://www.mustangeater825.50megs.co...ide%20view.jpg

you can see a little sparkle here
http://www.mustangeater825.50megs.co...hatchparts.jpg

http://www.mustangeater825.50megs.co...s/P4020025.JPG

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...05_14_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...05_18_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...05_23_full.jpg