Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

problem, i got my bumper repainted last summer and it chips so easily, why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:06 PM

problem, i got my bumper repainted last summer and it chips so easily, why?

last summer i got my new oem bumper rapainted for my 00 camaro because my stock one was crack due to person backing into me. i have had the bumper repainted now for close to a year and iam getting lots of chips on my bumper ive notic that this bumper gets chiped easily, i know that u will get some chips when driving but i dont drive my car alot, since i got my new bumper on my car ive put may 900 miles on it boy there are lots of chips on it, i compared it to my stock bumper which i put about 20k miles on it and my stock bumper has alot less chips on than the one i have one my car, my bumper was painted by a good body shop that has been there for more than 30yrs, would u think that the paint is to thin on my bumper causing it to chip alot so easliy? any experts in here...thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 11:07 PM

prep is the reason your having problemsss

did they prep the bumper correctly bfopre the primer.... did they use primer? did they use a plastic adhesion promotor?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:10 PM

iam not sure, i dont think they removed the old paint from my old bumper, where all the chips are its all silver which was the color of the bumper before. should they have removed all of the old paint of the bumper before painting it?
Old 04-28-2004, 01:45 AM

Is it your front bumper that's chipping? Maybe you tailgate a bit? I stay aways back until I make my pass, especially trucks with big tires.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:24 AM

Depending on where you had it painted, it sounds like they forgot to use the Flex additive for the paint. Without that it'll do exactly what you're explaining.

My GF is a manager at a collision shop, and my brother is a head tech at another one...

Most collision shops do warrenty their work, so I'd take it back and complain.. especially if it's only a year later... that's pretty sad...
Old 04-28-2004, 08:59 PM

yea try and watch the tailgating. I have a bad habit of that thanks to my truck, which sits twice as high off the ground and has a chrome bumper... so its basically unaffected by stones. The camaro sits a lot lower, is not chrome, and also likes to go faster than the car ahead of it so it kinda just happens. I think mine is original cause its pretty bad when you get up close, far away youll never notice.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:03 PM

i was also wondering when they paint the bumper should they have removed all of the old paint from the bumper before painting it , cause ive notice where some of the chips are i see some silver which was the color of the bumper before
Old 04-29-2004, 11:52 PM

Alot of these things are probably factors; however, even if everything was done right, including, stripping, prep, and primer, along with flex additive, you can NEVER reproduce the factory paint's ability to withstand rock chips and wear. They use some bulletproof stuff we just can't get out on the street (this coming from a good friend who has been painting cars for 30 years) and they also cook some of the paint jobs as well. It is amazing how well factory paint stands up. Just my .02.