Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

small problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:10 AM

small problem need help

I just bought a set of 2k c5 Vette rims last week. The wheels did not come with center caps so i got a set off E-bay for $30. My problem is that the rims are polished and the cener caps i have are chrome. Is there a way to use some sort of rubbing compound to put a little haze in the center caps so it dosent look so weird?
Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 AM
Administrator

One possibility, depending on how "curved" the surface of the center cap is, would be to get a silver vinyl disc exactly the diameter of the center cap, and stick it on. I did this with the center caps on my ZR1 AFS replicas... used a silver vinyl disc to cover the concentric painted rings on the center cap, then put red Pontiac arrowheads over the silver discs. Got it all from Firebat, and it matched the polished rims better than the "chrome-like" plastic centercaps that AFS supplied.

Only problem is, if the surface of the cap is not flat, you have to work hard to get the vinyl discs perfectly centered, and then work the wrinkles out. And after a couple years, the discs started to wrinkle anyway. If your center caps are relatively flat, this won't be a problem.

Check with Brent Franker and see if he has various shades of "silver" vinyl that might match a polished aluminum wheel.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:13 AM

My only problem with that is the center cap has indented crossed corvette flags in it.