Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Stripped bolts from steering wheel - how do i remove it now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 04:56 PM

Stripped bolts from steering wheel - how do i remove it now?

I did a real bonehead move today. I cross threaded the two screws that are used by the puller kit to remove the steering wheel. My first instinct is to drill out the hole and tap it, but i dont think I can run the tap fully into the hole - there is metal from the steering column behind the wheel. Does anyone know if I can go ahead and drill into this so that I can get the tap full in?

If not, are there any other ways to pull the wheel? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:53 PM

Re: Stripped bolts from steering wheel - how do i remove it now?

Originally Posted by N20dLt1
I did a real bonehead move today. I cross threaded the two screws that are used by the puller kit to remove the steering wheel. My first instinct is to drill out the hole and tap it, but i dont think I can run the tap fully into the hole - there is metal from the steering column behind the wheel. Does anyone know if I can go ahead and drill into this so that I can get the tap full in?

If not, are there any other ways to pull the wheel? Thanks.
Which bolts exaclty did you strip?

There is only one large nut that holds the steering wheel down. Are you refering to the torx bolts for the airbag?

Ryan

Last edited by 96speed; 12-29-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Administrator

He has a wheel puller. The puller uses two bolts that thread into holes in the steering wheel..... that's how the puller "pulls" the wheel off the steering column. He apparently cross threaded the puller bolts into the holes in the steering wheel, messing up the threads in the steering wheel holes.

I would get a "chase" the same size as the bolts/holes and try and renew the threads in the steering wheel. Once you get the bolts threaded in correctly, they may pick up enough fresh and existing threads as they bottom out in the steering wheel. If that doesn't work, you need to tap larger threads into the wheel and get larger bolts for the puller.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:53 PM

You could also try to go to your local machine shop and ask if they have any helicoils they may be able to hook you up with. Drill out the hole and and "screw" in the helicoil. A lot safer than trying to tap a whole that you can't run all the way. Only downside is that I am uncertain if it would be the best application for what you are going to use the holes for. Would be ideal for replacing holes that will only require 11-13 inch pounds of torque. Good luck!