Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Tell me something...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 09:20 AM

Good:
Relatively cheap nowadays
Mine is still running hard after 182,000 miles (no oil consumption or noises)
Strong Aftermarket support
Big gains from IMO small mods (CAI, Catback)
Still faster than a stock 03 GT Stang
Chicks dig em

Bad:
Rattles..lots and lots of rattles
Seats aren't too comfortable on long trips
OPTISPARK
Salad shooters
weak rear end

I'm happy with mine. They're great cars.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by mvnatedog
I have a 96 Z with the Bose CD system, and while it sounds nice (the bass especially), the head unit sucks. It skips often and on more than one occasion, I've had it turn off altogether (meaning it shut off and I couldn't do ANYTHING to get it to come back on, but I think this is just a loose wire, I haven't had time to look though). Also keep in mind that with the Bose system, the head unit itself does not have an amplifier, rather, there is a small amp wired in just before each individual speaker. This means that if you put in an aftermarket head unit, you will need to rewire the whole car (that's what I've heard at least, my system is still stock).

In answer to you other questions:

1) Wheel offset is fixable with backspacers, or by purchasing wheels with a higher/lower offset than stock (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, again, my car is still totally stock)

2) Speed limiter can be removed electronically either with a handheld reprogrammer (such as the Hypertech Power Programmer, ~$200-300, and not recommended, from what I hear) or a "mail-order" reprogramming (such as through www.pcmforless.com). Doing a mail-order tune is more economical if you lump it together with some other changes, such as wheel size, gear ratio, and a/f ratio if you swap in a new cam.

3) The T56 (M6) tranny, from what I hear, is a fairly strong tranny and for mildly modded cars, doesn't need a whole lot of work. The 4L60E (A4), isn't as strong, but tranny shops such as Century Trans in Houston (?) can rebuild a stock 4L60E into a "race-built" tranny, capable of 500+ HP, for as little as $1875, according to GMHTP (this assumes the tranny is like-new and doesn't need any other parts repaired/replaced). This isn't really necessary though, unless you want to run a big cam/N20/FI.

4) I'm 16, and insurance runs me $150-175/month (can't remember exactly) for liability coverage only. This may have gone down though, as CO has had some recent insurance laws changed. If you can afford to go without comprehensive (i.e. theft, hail, fire, flood, vandalism) and collision coverage, it will save you a lot of money, as comprehensive/collision are the only two types where insurers factor the type of vehicle into the premium.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long post!
Yeah, that helps a lot. They seem like all relatively cheap fixes, and I doubt I'll ever need to have my tranny upgraded at all since I don't plan on having FI or anything. And as far as insurance, my parents will be paying for it and under their name. They refuse to have anything short of full coverage (everything you listed). SO, under their name, but full coverage...what do you think? Under $200/month? (is that good?)
Old 11-02-2003, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by bad93z
Good:
Relatively cheap nowadays
Mine is still running hard after 182,000 miles (no oil consumption or noises)
Strong Aftermarket support
Big gains from IMO small mods (CAI, Catback)
Still faster than a stock 03 GT Stang
Chicks dig em

Bad:
Rattles..lots and lots of rattles
Seats aren't too comfortable on long trips
OPTISPARK
Salad shooters
weak rear end

I'm happy with mine. They're great cars.

Hahahah...yeah, they're definitely a pick-up-chicks car. 'Stangs ARE a chick car (chicks drive them). I'd say every single 'Stang around here is either driven by a teenage girl or a 40-year-old+ man with nothing better to spend his money on.

Yeah, it's good what all of you are saying about Camaro's holding up well, because everyone I know that doesn't own one themselves tell me they have to be fixed like every other day (like a Ford or something). But yeah, if I ever plan on taking long trips, I'll be sure to do my interior swap I mentioned before-hand
Old 11-02-2003, 11:52 AM

My ins company told me that adding comprehensive/collision would about $70/month, so maybe a little more than $200/month, but I'm not sure, I forgot all the insurance stuff in the three months I've had the car That's not a "bad" amount for insurance in and of itself, but when you compare it to what your parents are probably paying a month for their Toyota Camry, it's a pretty big difference.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by mvnatedog
My ins company told me that adding comprehensive/collision would about $70/month, so maybe a little more than $200/month, but I'm not sure, I forgot all the insurance stuff in the three months I've had the car That's not a "bad" amount for insurance in and of itself, but when you compare it to what your parents are probably paying a month for their Toyota Camry, it's a pretty big difference.
Well, they're already paying insurance for a 2002 Chrysler Sebring, a 1995 Dodge Caravan, and a 1998 Plymouth Breeze. I'll be getting on the insurance about the same time the Breeze will be coming off (it's my sister's car).
Old 11-02-2003, 04:21 PM

car insurance varies so much depending on company, location, driver,etc that it's easier to just have your dad call up the insurance company and ask for a quote on a 94-95 Z...w/o a vin number they wont tell you exact, but it will give you a far better idea than asking us...

btw..dont list yourself as the primary driver, dont get any tickets and work hard and it wont be bad...i got quoted at 1700-2200 a year...turns out its only about 1400 for my 97 ss( z28 according to insurance) but my dad and i are both primary drivers (haha like id actually let my dad drive MY car ) i dont have any tickets, im 20, and we have a good customer discount so i guess im kinda lucky

come to think of it after telling you my insurance company was 300-800 a year off maybe that isnt a good way to find out what it would be
Old 11-02-2003, 04:37 PM

bad:
cop magnet
insurance is pricey for a kid like me
Skipshift for the m6 (fixable)
rattles from flexible body
opti
accidents are very costly
edit: power window motors are junk

good:
chick magnet
looks awesome unlike a ricer, ttops rule
my stock z put the show on a bored GT with a cam of the same year
The LT1 is torque monster and other than the opti is very reliable
I disagree with some of you, I think the driver seats are very comfortable (the rear is a different story)
has to be one of the 'funnest' cars to drive for the price you can get one for.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 11-02-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by blackbirdta
car insurance varies so much depending on company, location, driver,etc that it's easier to just have your dad call up the insurance company and ask for a quote on a 94-95 Z...w/o a vin number they wont tell you exact, but it will give you a far better idea than asking us...

btw..dont list yourself as the primary driver, dont get any tickets and work hard and it wont be bad...i got quoted at 1700-2200 a year...turns out its only about 1400 for my 97 ss( z28 according to insurance) but my dad and i are both primary drivers (haha like id actually let my dad drive MY car ) i dont have any tickets, im 20, and we have a good customer discount so i guess im kinda lucky

come to think of it after telling you my insurance company was 300-800 a year off maybe that isnt a good way to find out what it would be

Yeah, I agree with your last statement there...but thanks anyways
Old 11-02-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Tatanko
Yeah, I know. I actually figured on getting one with an auto transmission just for the ease of daily driving but having a shift kit for when I feel like shifting.
You may want to get out of the appearance forum and go lurk in the tech section before you start saying other things that make no sense. Might go for the rest of you that agreed with what he said.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:29 PM

yea...if im not mistaking a shift kit is simply to adjust the shift points in an automatic to make then more efficient...not to make it some g@y clutchless ****
Old 11-02-2003, 10:48 PM

my .02

98+ Front end = fugly
Camaro seats = VERY Nice i love them (my freind has tan camaro seats in his explorer)
Old 11-03-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by blackbirdta
yea...if im not mistaking a shift kit is simply to adjust the shift points in an automatic to make then more efficient...not to make it some g@y clutchless ****
Some do... but if I understand correctly, most of the cheaper ones just increase line pressure, not necessarily a good way to improve shift performance.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:01 PM

heres a couple of things that people have said that i disagree with:

bad tranny (both the t56 and 4l60e)
bad rear ends

both trannys are DAMN good trannies and it's hard to break them (examples of how to break them are in my post a week or so ago)

the rear ends arn't the strongest, but you won't gernade them if you don't do anything extremely stupid. i put my camaro through a couple of tests and nothint EVER happened to the gears (donuts...about 4 or 5 in a row...about 3 times). camaros are perfectly fine right when you buy them, you shouldn't have any (or atleast many) problems.

also, like i said, my full coverage is $210 a month.