Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Is there a difference between the SLP, ASCD, or Suncoast hoods?? Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 08:42 PM

Post Is there a difference between the SLP, ASCD, or Suncoast hoods?? Which is best?

I wanna get one, but i wanna know who has the best quality product. The slp should be just like the factory hood no?

------------------
1995 Trans Am M6 with Dark grey interior, 17x10 Centerline Hawk rims, Borla exhaust
Star Stage II Kevlar Clutch
Old 07-30-2002, 08:51 PM

Wink

they're all replicas, even SLP's. along with that, people have had mixed results with nearly all of these aftermarket hoods. i had problems with my harwood WS6 replica too.

i'd say i've heard the least amount of complaints from ASCD and SLP owners.

when you do get it, be sure to take it to a experienced fiberglass bodyshop in case any additions/shavings need to be made.

good luck!

------------------
BLK 94 TRANS AM M6
B&B TRIFLOW CAT-BACK
SLP-CAI
GRANATELLI M.A.F.S.
T/B COOLANT BYPASS
SLP T/B AIRFOIL
SLP SKIP-SHIFT-ELIM.
BMR S.T.B.
CHARCOAL LEATHER,T-TOPS,
EVERY FACTORY OPTION
CHROME SLP WS-6 17 X 9 WHEELS & 275/40/17 GOODYEAR EAGLE F1's
HARWOOD WS-6 HOOD
Old 07-30-2002, 09:10 PM

Talking

hey man, yeah i have the Suncoast Creations SS hood on my car. the fit on it is perfect and it looks really good. i have heard mixed complaints on all the companies, some say the hoods dont fit real good and others say the quality is not too good but i like mine alot and would recommend it.

------------------
94 Red Z28 M6----
Jet-Hot Coated Hooker LT's, 3" Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, 3" Cutout, !EGR, !AIR, Taylor Spiro Pro Wires, Taylor Boots, Made For You Looms, NGK Plugs, Hypertech 160 Stat, Pro 5.0 Shifter, K&N Air Filter, Hypertech PTM, Granatelli MAF, BBK 58mm Throttle Body, !TB, SCC SS Hood And Airbox, Hotchkis STB, BMR Front And Rear Sway Bars, BMR LCA's And LCA Relocation Brackets, Tinted Windows, GTS Headlight/Taillight Covers, Turn Signal Covers, HRE 545 19X9.5 Front And 20X10 Rear Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza S-03 275/30YR-19 And 285/30-YR20 Tires

Have But Not Yet Installed - BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod, Eibach Pro Kit, HAL 12 Way Adj. Shocks, Kenny Brown DD SFC's, Wings West W-Type Body Kit
Old 07-30-2002, 11:31 PM

Lightbulb

hey aircop?
do you have any pics of your car, from the description in you sig. i would really like to see some pics.
getting ready myself to go with 20x10's on the rear and 19x10's on the front.
if you have any pics, could you email them to me at: trilogyz28@hotmail.com
thanks,
chuck

------------------
1995 BLACK Z28,2inch eibach sportline springs, 17x9.5 budnik trilogyIII wheels, suncoast creations SS hood, alpine, jl, ppi, sounds, t-top conversion, kenny brown double diamond sfc's, 98+ brake conversion, flowmaster catback.
84 GN lotta mods

UPCOMING MODS:LG Motorsports adjustable lower front a-arms Hotchkis control arms, Hal 12 way adj. shocks, Hotchkis front and rear stabilizer bars, custom stb, wilwood big brake kit, trans am interior.
MY 1995 Z28
Old 07-31-2002, 01:59 PM

Talking

hey chuckys95,
yeah i have some pics that i just took and put on my computer. i was gonna wait to post pics because my wings west body kit is getting painted and put on this week so i was going to wait until they were on. i will email the ones i have to u though.

------------------
94 Red Z28 M6----
Jet-Hot Coated Hooker LT's, 3" Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, 3" Cutout, !EGR, !AIR, Taylor Spiro Pro Wires, Taylor Boots, Made For You Looms, NGK Plugs, Hypertech 160 Stat, Pro 5.0 Shifter, K&N Air Filter, Hypertech PTM, Granatelli MAF, BBK 58mm Throttle Body, !TB, SCC SS Hood And Airbox, Hotchkis STB, BMR Front And Rear Sway Bars, BMR LCA's And LCA Relocation Brackets, Tinted Windows, GTS Headlight/Taillight Covers, Turn Signal Covers, HRE 545 19X9.5 Front And 20X10 Rear Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza S-03 275/30YR-19 And 285/30-YR20 Tires

Have But Not Yet Installed - BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod, Eibach Pro Kit, HAL 12 Way Adj. Shocks, Kenny Brown DD SFC's, Wings West W-Type Body Kit
Old 07-31-2002, 02:23 PM

Don't listen to foxbat. SLP is the actual manufacturer of the hood that goes on the Camaro SS. They ARE the hood you see on every SS sitting on the showroom (obviously great quality) They won't sell you one directly though. In order to get an SLP hood you have to get it from a GM dealer and USUALLY have to show proof of ownership of a real SS and damage to the factory hood. There have been cases where some dealers overlooked this detail and sold it to you anyway. SLP does sell other style hoods directly though, which have all been reported to be great quality.

As for suncoast, I had a suncoast functional Zstyle on my '00 Z and it fit PERFECT. The airbox was great, everything was PERFECT. I couldn't say enough good things about it.

As for the others, I've only heard reports and rumors - no first hand.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:38 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 96_pimped_out:
Don't listen to foxbat. SLP is the actual manufacturer of the hood that goes on the Camaro SS. They ARE the hood you see on every SS sitting on the showroom (obviously great quality) They won't sell you one directly though. In order to get an SLP hood you have to get it from a GM dealer and USUALLY have to show proof of ownership of a real SS and damage to the factory hood. There have been cases where some dealers overlooked this detail and sold it to you anyway. SLP does sell other style hoods directly though, which have all been reported to be great quality.

As for suncoast, I had a suncoast functional Zstyle on my '00 Z and it fit PERFECT. The airbox was great, everything was PERFECT. I couldn't say enough good things about it.

As for the others, I've only heard reports and rumors - no first hand.
</font>
ummmm...yeah..whatever dude, you have your sources and i have mine (like first hand knowledge from pontiac bodyshop managers), and i maintain that SLP hoods are NOT the same as factory.

[This message has been edited by foxbat (edited July 31, 2002).]
Old 07-31-2002, 08:31 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by foxbat:
ummmm...yeah..whatever dude, you have your sources and i have mine (like first hand knowledge from pontiac bodyshop managers), and i maintain that SLP hoods are NOT the same as factory.

[This message has been edited by foxbat (edited July 31, 2002).]
</font>
SLP is the manufacturer of the Ram Air hood sold on the WS6 firbirds in 96-97, the same hood was put on the Firehawks in 96-97. The Air box that SLP sells is even the same minus the PONTIAC and Ram Air lettering on the box. Trust me Bro, when I got my SLP hood I did ALOT of research. Like the guy who works at a dealership bodyshop would say "Just get it from SLP it's the same hood just $500 cheaper." Let's be smart here guys. I have some pics of the hood on my web page if you want to take a look at it.

------------------
Craig 94 Ram Air Formula A4
254.9 RWHP/294 RWTRQ
-------------------
Formula Power

[This message has been edited by craigffb (edited July 31, 2002).]
Old 07-31-2002, 08:33 PM

Unhappy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by craigffb:
SLP is the manufacturer of the Ram Air hood sold on the WS6 firbirds in 96-97, the same hood was put on the Firehawks in 96-97. The Air box that SLP sells is even the same minus the PONTIAC and Ram Air lettering on the box. Trust me Bro, when I got my SLP hood I did ALOT of research. Like the guy who works at a dealership bodyshop would say "Just get it from SLP it's the same hood just $500 cheaper." Let's be smart here guys. I have some pics of the hood on my web page if you want to take a look at it.

</font>
gotta disagree again. sorry boys..my sources tell me differently.

Old 07-31-2002, 09:17 PM

uh considering SLP does the actual SS modifying, and say it's safe to bet they make the hood as well
Old 07-31-2002, 10:45 PM

SLP did the modifying for the LT1 cars. LS1 SS' were made in house by GM.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:32 AM

You no longer have to provide an SS vin to get an SS hood. They are now considered GM parts, so you can buy them at any dealer. However, you will pay out the a$$. $1800 is what my dealer quoted me 2 days ago for an SS hood for my Z.

------------------
Lori
Before
after
more Z
35TH ANNIVERSARY Z28 ported throttle body*ported MAF sensor* cold air induction *throttle body bypass*3" cutout*LS1 bumpstop mod*K&N filter
Old 08-02-2002, 01:44 AM

Correct the '98+ SS hood is available from any GM parts Dealer. SS hood Part #12369963 Inlet Screen #12369964. List is $1790.00

I Had one on my '98 Z28. I got it from GMpartsdirect.com for $1055.00 plus $150.00 shipping. I'm about to do the same thing with my new T/A.

------------------
Rick

'65 Malibu SS - 280rwhp/330ftlbs
'98 Camaro Z28 - 318rwhp/334ftlbs - Sold 7-18-02
'02 TransAm - Brand new No dyno Yet

D-flo lid, GMS, Hotchkis STB, Hurst B+
Bat-CaveOnline

[This message has been edited by Rickm (edited August 02, 2002).]
Old 08-02-2002, 03:43 PM

My Suncoast hood is warped and wavey, and it is my second, my first warped considerably more! They refuse to replace it because it was sold to me before the new ownership. I was one of their first customers, stay away from them. JMHO, the hoods look good now, just give them a few years like I did.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:12 PM

Thumbs down

ASCD hoods are crap. Wavy, ugly, does not fit right. Cost me $600 in body work to make it nice. Wouldn't take it back without me paying for shipping back.

------------------
94Z Conv. A4, Vortech S-trim, Edelbrock headers, MSD 6A, 52mm tb, SS hood, 2800 stall, built 4l60e, Xcat, Borla Cat back polished, Chrome Currie 9 inch, Shaved everything, Fully air bagged suspension front-rear, chrome BMR torque arm, aluminum ds, Chrome 20" Katana Belajos (tuck with bags), Colorado custom flamed steering wheel, fully chromed/polished engine bay with custom covers(like aluminum PS resivoir) NO ONE HAS white leather and custom pro painted interior, white carpet, chrome rollbar and everything MBA makes, CD-DVD tv player, flamed paint job. Suicide doors and Wings West body kit!! There is more but it would take up the whole page..6 years and 70k later I am amazingly married and don't live on the streets thanks to the car! Featured Camaro Performers Super Chevy Magazine 2000. Soon to be featured Super Chevy magazine.

Quick Reply: Is there a difference between the SLP, ASCD, or Suncoast hoods?? Which is best?