Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

To those who have removed side moldings...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:17 AM

To those who have removed side moldings...

It sounds pretty straight forward. Just basically heat up the glue with like a hair dryer and use some fishing line or even just dental floss I'm guessing will do the trick to remove the plastic pieces... Then I guess just continue heating up to remove any residual glue right??

I've been considering doing this for a while now probably gonna do it soon. But I was also wondering... Since I still have original paint, won't the areas where the side moldings were glued to be a different color compared to the rest of the doors/quarter panels?? Or not enough to really notice that much? If it will look odd I might just leave it the way it is now.

Thanks for the help...
Old 06-25-2011, 01:07 AM

Re: To those who have removed side moldings...

I've removed the molding on 2 blk z28 LS1's with no problems. easy to do and I didn't even heat up the molding at all. No color issues after removing or getting off the old adhesive. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-25-2011, 01:15 AM

Damn dude that looks clean as hell

You've just convinced me that I need to do this ASAP LOL
Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 PM

You might have some residual glue after removing the molding, a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol will will take care of that for you. I think that was my very first mod on the Z since they were peeling and fading.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 PM

You may be able to tell where the moldings were since the unmolested paint underneath will be in better shape than the rest, but it's nothing a quick buffing won't fix. The only time you'll have an issue is if the panels had a half-assed respray where the moldings weren't removed. The only satisfactory solution in that case would involve repainting the affected panel(s).
Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
You may be able to tell where the moldings were since the unmolested paint underneath will be in better shape than the rest, but it's nothing a quick buffing won't fix. The only time you'll have an issue is if the panels had a half-assed respray where the moldings weren't removed. The only satisfactory solution in that case would involve repainting the affected panel(s).
Actually now that you mention it, when I took a quick look at the passenger side molding on the door, there seems to have been paint sprayed on (maybe after a minor accident?), because there is one spot where some extra paint had dried up on the molding. You have to look hard to see it but it looks pretty sketchy... Is this what you're talking about?? Because the new paint won't match the factory paint underneath?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_Z28
Actually now that you mention it, when I took a quick look at the passenger side molding on the door, there seems to have been paint sprayed on (maybe after a minor accident?), because there is one spot where some extra paint had dried up on the molding. You have to look hard to see it but it looks pretty sketchy... Is this what you're talking about?? Because the new paint won't match the factory paint underneath?
You want to look closely at the areas directly above and below the molding for signs of a repaint. If the paint looks grainy or dry as it progresses under the edges of the molding, the panel in question was repainted with the molding left in place. The issue isn't so much with a color match; the problem is that the clearcoat is not going to be "level' with the finish under the molding, and it's all but impossible to get rid of the line. If you're unsure, start lifting one end of the molding and observe the area for the grainy/dry look of an overspray "line." If it exists, leave the moldings on until you plan to repaint.