Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

To those you have paint bubbling problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 09:29 PM

To those you have paint bubbling problems

Just thought of this today, I usually only see the paint bubbling posts on Camaroz28.com not the other boards but I thought of one thing that might be causing the problem.

After you top panel (the one Im always reading about) gets repainted, are you waxing the panel within the first month?

If you are that could be causing it, the paint although its dry to the touch needs a good amount of time to fully cure, the wax doesnt let the lower levels of paint breath and therefor they dont dry. And because the panel is up top, it gets the hottest, and is affected the most.

Just an idea. Hopefully someone sees it and might figure out the problem.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:46 PM

i had 6 year old paint on my 67 impala bubble up out of the blue once. i took the car to a very reputable custom body shop. they told me it was from a 'breathable, layered' car cover! yup, i was using a $150 car cover at the time. the heat and humidity down here after a long rain storm (4 days) caused too much heat to be trapped under the cover (wet cover=no more 'breathable'). the humididy caused the paint to blister. i called the cover company and they acknowleged fault and paid me for it. they said it was quite common in high humidity areas. 3500 dollars later the car was repainted and hit another year later by a person pulling in front of me. i put a cheap $30 cover on to hide the car from the neighbors and the paint blistered back up again! just wanted to share the story. for this reason, i do not leave a cover on my car except at shows or in the garage!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Re: To those you have paint bubbling problems

Originally posted by jeff94z28
If you are that could be causing it, the paint although its dry to the touch needs a good amount of time to fully cure, the wax doesnt let the lower levels of paint breath and therefor they dont dry. And because the panel is up top, it gets the hottest, and is affected the most.
I don't believe that is true with today's paints. With the older paints it was important to let it cure for x number of days before doing anything. However, with today's formulations I don't believe it matters all that much. I know it is recommended to not wax it for a period of time but I'm pretty sure it isn't a big deal if you do. My painter bud was telling me about this and was talking a little about this.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:46 PM

brent is correct. single stage paints had to cure. basecoat/clear coat paints are mixed with a catalyst/hardener to cure them very quickly. I think the manufacturers and painters still say to wait 30 days to 6 months for liability reasons. for example, if the paint was not mixed correctly i\t may take longer to harden.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:17 AM

I know the paint has an activator to help it flash over quickly, but the paint underneath is technically not hardened even if the paint is put in the over and baked onto the car.

It was just a thought.

I just went back to the old post though and it was happening because of an adhesive used to hold the top panel on.