Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Trans Am door emblems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 10:16 AM

Question Trans Am door emblems

On my 1997 T/A on both doors i have the Trans Am emblem, it's silver b/c my car is silver, and i was wanting to make them red. So I was thinking about ordering some red Trans Am emblems (b/c on T/A's the emblems match the color of the car) and have them put on my car, but i'm scared that the new ones want stick as good as the old ones have.

Has anyone tried this, and did urs stick good, or does anyone know any good adhesive to use.

------------------
'97 Silver Trans Am
Leather
T-tops
Lt1 350
Recently added Flowmasters
Old 09-03-2002, 10:42 AM

I know alot of folks including myself just by the overlays. They usually run around $12-$15 and they look great and usually last. You might want to try them instead of going through the hassel of taking your badges off.

------------------
My 95 Mystic TA
Old 09-03-2002, 11:12 AM

Overlays, haven't heard of those. But will give them a look into. Do you have a link or anything, as to where I can find them? Have you had any probelms with yours? I'm guessing they just lay over the existing emblem (hence the name overlay right?)

------------------
'97 Silver Trans Am
Leather
T-tops
Lt1 350
Recently added Flowmasters
Old 09-03-2002, 01:57 PM

yeah, there really cheap and you can get any color you want, check this goof ball out,

http://www.caprok.net/gtachuck/pages/birds4.htm

it takes about 5min to load the whole page but he has a good selection of stuff. the best deal is the package, you get an overlay for every logo on your car for $30 or something like that.

They're kind of a pain to put on but it's definitly easier than tearing off badges and putting new ones on.

[This message has been edited by WhoBetter? (edited September 03, 2002).]
Old 09-03-2002, 02:06 PM

Yeah they just stick on. I had mine on for over a year without any problems and they looked great until I took them off. I took them off to get a diferent color. I got mine from www.firebatscave.com

------------------
My 95 Mystic TA
Old 09-03-2002, 04:16 PM

Lightbulb

You could also check out the Autographics link in my sig if you want. They have EVERYTHING for Firebirds!

I put the badges on. I had the crap Firebird badges, they were small and in an ugly block text. So I went to Pontiac and ordered black ones to fit on my white car. If you properly clean and prep the area, the badges will stick just fine. And removing the badges aren't a PITA either. Just use some fishing line to slide behind the badges, use some bug and tar remover once they are off to get rid of the goo, use some rubbing alcohol, put on, and you're good to go!

Oh yeah, if you do go the badge route, make sure you mark off beforehand with some tape where the old badges were, so you can mount them where they were from the factory. I didn't do this, and the driver side is off by nearly half and inch, but the only way you'd notice it is if you'd get down and measure with a ruler.

------------------
--David--
1995 white Firebird 3.4 V6 A4 w/ T-tops
Mods:Kenwood KDC516S stereo, front and rear Alpine speakers, Flowmaster 80 series, Firebat and Autografics decals, Moroso CAI, Painted interior, 3 10" MTX Thunder 6000 subs, BMR STB, Borbet Type-T wheels, 275/40R17 Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712 tires, Zaino, !speed, !horsepower Help CT get a dragstrip!
Old 09-03-2002, 05:15 PM

I think I am going to go the overlay route, but Mystic when u took urs off did they leave any goo or residue on ur car? And one last one, do u have to cut them out, and are they real hard to put on?
Old 09-03-2002, 09:57 PM

Hi Elvis,

Here is a link to overlays that I just installed on my TA.

http://www.transam02.com/decals.htm

These were cutout and came on small adhesive sheets. The Trans Am emblems had sticky label backing and on the front was a thin sheet of tape so that they could be lined up and then the front tape could be peeled back.

The bird emblem came on one large sheet with each feather and the bird part separate.

I cleaned the area with some alcohol and then wiped it clean with plain water.

They were not very hard to work with but a steady hand and patience helps.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:35 PM

Lightbulb

Hey Elvis,
E-mail Brent Franker he can hook you up! Thats were I got mine and he has an install page we made that shows you step by step instructions.

Shawn 95 TA
Old 09-04-2002, 03:41 AM

Overlays are good, but don't replace door emblems.

I had some black-reflective TRANS AM decals on my silver emblems/convertible. The TRANS AM lettering stands out more 3D and looks WAY better since I got black TRANS AM urathane emblems and put the reflective-black overlays on top of them.

Might not look great on some cars, but on my silver/chrome/grey/black theme it really brings out the name.

I like it.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:10 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elvis '97 Trans Am:
I think I am going to go the overlay route, but Mystic when u took urs off did they leave any goo or residue on ur car? And one last one, do u have to cut them out, and are they real hard to put on?</font>
Yeah when I took the actual overlay off there was alot of adhesive left. I already had some "Goo Gone" and just dabbed some onto a cloth then onto the emblem and let it sit for about 20 minutes and they stuff wiped right off. I was pretty suprised it came off that easily. As far as cutting and stuff I didn't have to. The wwas the emblem was layed out on the paper it comes with, you remove one side so the sticky part of the sticker is showing and line up the "T" in Trans Am. The all of the other letters just fall into place. It's pretty easy to do.

------------------
My 95 Mystic TA