Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

up grading head light

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 PM

up grading head light

looking for a little help. i'm thinking of up grading my headlight on my 2002 camaro (base 3.8l) to the hid whith a blue color effect. and wandering if anyone could recommend a kit and if i will need to install anything else ( like a relay harness, HID Capacitor to Fix Flickering, or a power harness). was told by diffrent people that i could get by with just plug and play some said i would have to install all that i mention before. I'm building this car in memory of my father which we started the rebuild project togeather but he pass away erlier this month. if anyone can i would appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Re: up grading head light

projector style headlights is the biggest thing you should worry about...blinding people isnt fun and i know cops in my town will really brake your ***** if you dont use projectors...besides that i know my HIDs went right in, nothing extra just the ballasts and bulbs
Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM

as stated above, if you want HID bulbs, you need headlights designed for them. they tend to be around $300 for good ones. if you just want the blue look, get the blue halogen bulbs off ebay. they wont be quite as bright as stock, so i honestly wouldnt recommend them. but they will fit without any modifications, and they look a lot like HIDs
Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 PM

you can use a plug & Play HID kit with your stock lamps with good results, I have a $40 plug & play kit in the low beams and they have worked flawlessy for 8 months now, they will be much brighter than stock so there is really no need to spend $300 on projectors because your still getting better performane over stock. Camaros sit low, your lights will not blind anyone anymore than any other headlight, and not as much as the ********* in their lifted trucks. Besides the projectors would be just as bright anyway. Dont use HID's in the high beams, just use the regular blue Bulbs in those because you might have to install a bunch of fancy equpiment in the high beams because as you probably know a plug & play HID takes about 2-3 seconds to charge up. But I tell you, my lows are so bright now the highs are completely useless.

A few other recomendations...
1. I have my high/low wires joined so all 4 of my lights will be once at once with the high switch on, so my lows never turn off. The is a post someone on the board on how to do this.

2. Also I have disabled the automatic headlight feature, you do this by unplugin the sensor under the defrost vent and connecting the 2 pins in the wired end with a paper clip or something similar, you can also search how to do this. I did this because you HID's wont get so much wear & tear with all the on/off cycling.

Last edited by Evolution223; 06-20-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 AM

Evolution233, the idea of HID bulbs in stock reflector housings has been debated and experimented with, and all results have been that you *will* blind people by doing that. Please stop spreading misinformation. I really don't care if you think you're not blinding people. You are. I just had to drive 30 miles in front of a guy with an Aveo with a cheap drop in HID kit, and it wasn't a fun experience.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by rv93
Evolution233, the idea of HID bulbs in stock reflector housings has been debated and experimented with, and all results have been that you *will* blind people by doing that. Please stop spreading misinformation. I really don't care if you think you're not blinding people. You are. I just had to drive 30 miles in front of a guy with an Aveo with a cheap drop in HID kit, and it wasn't a fun experience.
if the guy is behind you How in the blue hell does it blind you?????? you are so full of **** you dont even make sense,

All headlights blind people from the front, go stick your face in a set of stock headlights and then see if you can see in the dark, you can't.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution223
if the guy is behind you How in the blue hell does it blind you?????? you are so full of **** you dont even make sense,

All headlights blind people from the front, go stick your face in a set of stock headlights and then see if you can see in the dark, you can't.
Its that thing called 'glare' that you seem to think you some how don't do. No matter how much you think your lights aren't glaring- they are. Since the car was behind him obviously it was glaring in his mirrors. Some would say "just adjust your mirrors" but shouldn't have to go out of his way to adjust things because someone else is being inconsiderate. Some cars glare worse than others- but it is ALWAYS there with HID's in halogen housings.

Every little import guy with his civic or integra that is lowered has HID's around here- they aren't much higher if at all than Camaro's and they still put out plenty of glare.

Again- please stop encouraging people to do things that aren't suggested or safe for everyone else on the road...at least you have stopped your propaganda against projector headlights...
Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 AM

Thanks, Procharged94Lt1, thats exactly what i meant. The glare was just in my rearview mirror, since he was too close to show up in my side mirrors. Easy fix, obviously. But like you said, it was annoying for me, and would be much worse for anybody driving in the opposite direction. And yet again Evolution, dont take this as a personal insult, but people come to this forum to learn, and your misinformed posts make that a lot harder for everybody involved.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM

yeah i agree with rv93...the projectors are almost mandatory at least here in jersey anyway...i blinded a cop one day before i switched to projectors and lets just say he was less than pleased with me
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Ouch, that sucks, man. I live in Indiana, so i could probably superglue 20 walmart fog lights with 55W HIDs in them to my hood, and the cops couldnt care less. I just dont wanna be an *** to others on the road.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 PM

PM me for a good link and price on HID kit... got lows and fogs for under $85
Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution223

Do some research, seriously.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM

btw, OP, apart from the right housing, all you need is the basic HID kit. that is, bulb and ballast. some cars flicker unless you use a capacitor, but camaros dont. i just installed a 8000K set of headlights in my car, and theyre working very well.