Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Who would be interested in a different headlight assembly for 93-97 Camaro's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by camarolt4ss
i would say leave the black part, but have the lense off the light come around, to cover the black part, so it looks like its a part of the headlight it self......
I would agree.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:11 PM

a clear part to cover the back piece, thats what i was trying to get at. I really think it would look good.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by sbca96
I think I might understand the confusion over "flush" vs "recessed", correct me
if I am wrong .. what FocuzTech is asking is the lense cover itself, you want
it to be up flush with the opening, or set back a little like the LS1 cars. Those
are not truely "flush" with the nose, there is about a 1 inch setback. I think
that Brangeta is thinking you mean the lights themselves sticking out in what
is now the black "shelf" area. So to clarify, it looks like whats wanted is a lens
that is flush with the front fasia, but the lights inset deep into the bucket, and
no exposed edges on the light assemblies, with a black background.

Is that about right?

Tom
Oh... you may be right. I may have interpretted the question wrong. Yes, I do in fact want the lens/headlamp entirely flush with the front of the body and hood. I don't want the 1 inch set-back that the LS1 headlamp/lens has.

And yes, I do want the lights inset deep into the bucket.

nick3: that sounds good. thats what i was tring to say. as long as the headlight unit dont pass the hood, you wont see it. and it would need the lens flush. brangeta, we have the same idea on what it should look like. i wouldnt want to see the unit itself either. when i say flush i mean the lense. those pics are exactly what i was thinking. not ls1 style. the new age exotic look like the pics brangeta put up. projectors right near the end of the hood, and a clear lense flush with the body.
Yeah I agree!

camarolt4ss
i would say leave the black part, but have the lense off the light come around, to cover the black part, so it looks like its a part of the headlight it self......
Not sure if I agree with that. Unless they can make it 1 to 2 mm thick (or should I say THIN?) it wouldn't be completely flush with the front fenders. Therefore it would likely be too thin and brittle and likely collect condensation and dirt. I'm pretty sure I disagree with this idea.

Last edited by Brangeta; 01-07-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
We have already been over "the black part" issue. To have a headlamp that went in place of it would require bumper modification. Not popular in this croud. The next best thing would be to have a plastic peice that covored the black part.

yes thats what i said pages and pages ago(11, and 12). i just wanted it covered in the pic. for a beter look for that reason.

Last edited by nick3; 01-07-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM

Gotcha.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 PM

I like the recessed look...if I didn't I would have got an LS1 car.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:35 PM

LOL I'm tired of messing with this. Just in case there is any confusion, this will clear it up.

There are 4 options in this diagram I just made.
1= stock
2= flush
3= flush with overlap to cover half circle
4= similar to LS1 style; recessed

my vote is #2
Old 01-07-2007, 11:04 PM

Okay, now for the actual lights. I used stock lights to make this easy. We obviously DON'T want stock lights, and NONE of us want both lights to be square. In fact, I would personally like to avoid square altogether.

1= stock placement
2= you can see the lights if you stood straight above your car and looked down
3= the lights are nearly against the edge of the lens. Sort of like LS1 style I guess.

my vote is #2

now... since I've already wasted all this time... I'm going to fabricate the lights I want in this cartoony-vector way... give me an hour...

Last edited by Brangeta; 01-07-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 PM

As this might be an idea also....this would be in need for some fabricating but it would look sweet....

http://www.lmctruck.com/Features/CD/CDER0.htm

If you have time on your hands this would look sweet IMO...

Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by mcalus
As this might be an idea also....this would be in need for some fabricating but it would look sweet....

http://www.lmctruck.com/Features/CD/CDER0.htm

If you have time on your hands this would look sweet IMO...

Going that route it would be easier to use a similar lamp with better optics that will fit, like these:

Piaa 3000 http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/p-3000.html

Old 01-08-2007, 01:49 AM

Ok, this took awhile. This is a decent representation of what I am wanting. It is an entire unit that will fit on top of the front bumper's bucket, and slide into the stock headlamp sockets. It's complete with a redefined 'bucket' shape on the inside. I'm pretty sure this is something Focuztech could make.

Regardless of what design you go with Focuztech, this is just a tip I'm offering: Our bumpers flex and change shape. Mine, for one, has been in a very minor 5 mph accident, so the 'buckets' aren't completely flat. Most Camaros I see at car shows are similar. The headlamps you design need to probably be very sturdy/strong to fight against the bumper's flexing. They should also probably not be a 100% perfect fit either. If they fit too snugly, they will damage paintjobs, and in an accident, they'd surely break if they were too tightly fitting. I'd rather they fit with a millimeter or two of gap than have to buy a new bumper. You guys probably already know this stuff, but if not, I thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 AM

Looks real good. I'm sure focuztech will give us something we all agree on.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:03 AM

Lucas-- Do you own the black Camaro with the white graphic on the hood that looks like your tattoo?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM

UPDATE:

I talked with Mike from FocuzTech on the phone again today. Looks like the bulbs will more likely be 50mm Hella's and not the 90mm ones for space issues. Yes the 90mm's fit, but to also put the housing and the bezel around them makes for a most likely too tight fit.

Also, the black triangle at the corner we have been discussing will most likely NOT be covered. It would be to easy to break off in a car was, or something else.

There will most likely be LOTS of variants of these headlamps, which I think is really sweet making them more custom, so not everyone's is exactly the same. Some of the options will be the Halo, Angel Eyes, upgraded HID bulbs, the bezel to be black, clear, chrome, or even your paint color, as well as several other options.

We are looking at seeing a design in the neighborhood of 90 days from now. (mid April), and then POSSIBLY seeing these available to us for purchase in the June period. All of this is subject to change of coarse with possible snags and other bumps in the road.

The good news is that it is underway. When I started this post, I had no idea it would come this far, or that so many people would be interested. I couldn't be happeir knowing I have bettered the Camaro community.

FocuzTech, please correct me if have misinformed everyone here, or if I am out of my place to give everyone updates.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:24 PM

Ben-

Let me say that I am very excited about this project....enough so to purchase a vehicle we can begin working on...in an effort to get this product developed and to market. This will be a fun undertaking given our previous experience on the B-Body platform. Of course our estimates for design and timelines are forward in thought, we do hope to get this underway quickly.

Quick Reply: Who would be interested in a different headlight assembly for 93-97 Camaro's?