Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Wood Grain

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 05:54 PM

Wood Grain

I want to add some wood grain overlays and make some peices out of wood to my 95 bird. Does anyone know some good sites that sell unfinished peices of wood. Thick and thin peices i guess. I need real thin sheets for the dash, doors, and door still plates. I also need some thick wood to build cut sand and mold a center consol that extends to the back seats. The reason for this is i plan on building a computer into my car and dont want to put it in the area of the t tops becuase thats there my amp rack will go. I plan on doing all the work myself. It wont be the most intricut (?) work becuase this will be my first time using wood and not building a house. I just want it to be smooth, flow with the rest of the interior, and be laquered to hell. I want to go with a real dark wood to match the black leather and interior

Anyone know a good site or did their own wood grain?
Old 04-21-2003, 06:43 PM

My suggestion -
Cover the wood! In early muscle cars - maybe...
In trucks and high class SUV's, good.
In Luxury cars - good.
In sports cars - BAD...

That's the opinion part of it...
I have covered wood with leather and you would never know if I didn't tell you. There are a number of possibilties there.

The advatage is - wood is strong, cheap, and much easier to work with for most than metal and plastic.

If you insist on wood - what kind of wood do you want? Mahogany has a natural dark color...pine is light, but accepts stain well, etc. What grain are you looking for? Details.

But most of all - Do you INSIST that it has to be woodgrain? I just don't think it will look right at all in an F-Body.