Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Z06 Style Fog Light Grilles ('93-'97 - Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 09:14 AM

Z06 Style Fog Light Grilles ('93-'97 - Pics)

Well, after many many hours of working on a template, and everything else, I finally got one produced. I thought this would be as easy as bending some wire mesh, but turns out it is quite challenging. If you want a high quality look, the time must be spent.

Let me start off by saying that the pics in the link below are just of the first grille I am currently completing. I spent, as I mentioned before, many hours on this, and still have more time to go. The pictures are of the "prototype" and not the finished product. See notes below describing misc. aspects of the pictures.

The main reason for this post is because a couple of guys had mentioned interest in buying these. Brent - if you read this thread, please understand that I am not advertising, just willing to help out a few fellow Camaro owners. I will make these, for sale at an undetermined (discounted for my fellow CZ28.C board members) price. The material, isn't that expensive. After I get the hang of making them, then the time will decrease. But, given my limited resources please keep in mind that I will have to take time to work on each individual grille. I will have to use my car to fit every grille correctly. If you are interested in buying a set of these, please contact me via e-mail, and keep it off the board for advertisers sake.

Here is the link to the webshots album: Z06 Style Camaro Fog Light Grilles.
Photo Notes:
Close Up 1 - You can see that I have some more smoothing to do to the heavily rounded part (right side in pic).
Far Shot - Top Right corner is not mashed in, just appears that way because of extra mesh behind corner. To be fixed.
Corner Shot - Mind you that these are just layed in there so I could take pics for you guys and gauge interest. The mounting will hold them at the same angle/flush with the center piece. The top left corner is out in this pic, that will be corrected after mounting.
Close Up 2 - Probably the best shot.

These pics were taken this morning just for reference. This grill is not mounted yet, and I don't even have the passenger side made yet. The mounting details are still being worked out, but I have a very nice/professional mounting procedure for these.

In all honesty, these things will truly be high quality when completed (remember, this one isn't completed yet) and I am more excited about having mine than anything else.

I am working on the mounting of both the stock fog lights behind them, and aftermarket fog lights. This will be possible, with slight adjustment/modification.

So what do you think? Sorry for the long post, but I still could go into more detail.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:48 AM

Dalton, that looks great. That stuff is hard to make that compond corner with. I haven't started with mine yet, I have planned on makeing a straight cut and rubber U moulding I found at a bodyshop supply store, not sure on hold down yet, double sided tape maybe.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:11 AM

Very very nicely done!!!

~Adam
Old 02-19-2003, 01:20 PM

Those look good. I did the same thing for my car about 4 months ago and here is the problem I ran into. The fog lights would not allow the mesh to be flat. I just pressed them into place to see how it looked before I did anything permanent. Lasted for about 1 1/2 months before one of them came off. But you are right, time consuming and a few nicks and cuts on the fingers. But they look good IMO.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:32 PM

Looks awesome!!!!

Let me know when i can get one!

Thanks man, keep me posted...

Good job!
Old 02-19-2003, 02:15 PM

looks good man
wanted to make once for myself in black but then gave up.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:50 PM

Looks great. I might be interested in purchasing a set, but I'll have to see. I am anxious to see how it all turns out.

Mark
Old 02-19-2003, 03:12 PM

Awesome man!
Old 02-19-2003, 07:26 PM

Thumbs up i did them too

i posted about this about a few weeks ago, cost me 1.24, painted them black, i havent really gotten a concrete way of keepin them in place, i think yours look nice too, mine have stayed in fairly well just using electrical tape,
Old 02-19-2003, 07:50 PM

Thumbs up

Looks good man!
Old 02-20-2003, 12:13 AM

Re: i did them too

Originally posted by dunkchamp55
i posted about this about a few weeks ago, cost me 1.24, painted them black, i havent really gotten a concrete way of keepin them in place, i think yours look nice too, mine have stayed in fairly well just using electrical tape,
any pics??
Old 02-20-2003, 12:58 AM

Thumbs up tomorow

ill get some new shots of the black ones tomorow morning and post them later on, i like em better black
Old 02-20-2003, 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the compliments guys...you other guys get some pics up, I am interested to see how yours turned out. I have come up with a pretty much infallible (I think) mounting system. It is very nice, and would be the desired method. I just have to get the hardware, have lots of various orders on stuff. Killerjello - I sent you a PM.