Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Anyone road race with 600+rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 10:31 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
Anyone road race with 600+rwhp?

I'm planning to bring my car to Road America in the spring (for fun, not competition). It makes over 600rwhp, and is a bit heavier than stock, due to the supercharger/aftercooler and things like sfc's and roll bar.

It is an SS so the suspension was the level 2 bilstien, and I've since added KYB AGX shocks (which I think suck). And I've installed Baer brakes up front (13in rotors 2 piston PBR calipers), using ceramic brake pads. Suspension is otherwise stock.

I was planning on re-installing the Bilstiens, and maybe changing the brake pads, and that's about it.

I havn't had it on a road course since it had just heads and cam, so I don't really know what to expect. Think I should leave it as is, or should I pulley it down and kill off a little horsepower so it's more tractable?
Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 PM

I think I'd be mostly worried about heat. In the brakes if you really blast down the straights, and in the motor because of the blower. If you've got those under control, I think you'll be fine. That is, if you can modulate the accelerator

Dave
Old 12-04-2002, 09:34 AM

I agree - heat is gonna be a MAJOR issue. I would seriously consider a oil cooler, and throwing a bottle of watter wetter in the coolant.
Also, the powersteering may be subject to overheating. A PS cooler assy (we use a Moroso framerail trans cooler) would be a good investment.

No need to pulley down the blower, just be careful and don't jump to WOT until you get a few laps in and see where the car is going.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:18 AM

Sounds like fun-are you going to the Midwest F Body event in April? See you there. By then I should be 600+ too.

Biggest issue will be corner exit when applying throttle. You didn't mention tires, so I will assume you don't have Hoosiers or other sticky tires. Street tires on a cold track, high HP=ice. RA is a fast track, so most of the time will be 3rd, 4th, 5th gear. You might see 165+ in the straights. Then you have to slow enough to make the corner. Bring some spare rotors and pads, bleed the brakes & fill with good racing brake fluid.

Take it easy and you should be OK. Just don't pass me and everything will be fine!
Old 12-07-2002, 01:31 AM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

among things other people stated.. if you are a good driver, you will find yourself reaching speeds that you aren't comfortable with.. at least i did at memphis raceway park a year ago.

I could do 140 in a standing 1/4, and I had a running start atnearly 1/2 mile.. you dod the math.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Lowend
No need to pulley down the blower, just be careful and don't jump to WOT until you get a few laps in and see where the car is going.
No kidding, if nothing else, just for the sole reason of heating up the tires - as well as guaging yourself and the car. I went sideways on my first lap (about half way through) putting to much foot into the throttle, driving in nearly a straight line.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:30 PM

BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES.
Get a good front brake pads - Carbotech, (panther +) will last you the weekend, and they are rotor freindly, brake them in prior to the track, drive up on your stock stuff, change at the track.

Change to a race grade fluid 500 deg +.

Duct air to the rotors.

Watch turn 8 its down hill, and after turn 1 and 5 your brakes will be very hot.

Mike
Old 12-10-2002, 10:41 PM

I would Pully it down a bit. with only ~580 to the tires, we were hitting almost 185. Then, haul it down. Thats a lot of work, even if you had 6 pot clalipers.

I will try to be there, but I cant promise anything
Old 12-11-2002, 12:53 AM

I would be very careful with 600 rwhp at R.A.!

With only 420ish rwhp in my C5 I was seeing 170mph and that was with a N/A 350 LS1. With your set-up you will be FLYING at the end of some of the straights, so be very careful.

I see you have upgraded your brakes but at 185-190 they may not do the trick. Like G2 LS1 said, you might want to pully it down a tad before you go. After all you can always switch back while at the track if you are feeling invinsible.

~Adam M.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:11 AM

Well when ever me and Louis get mine back together, I'll be joining ya so we can work things out together if you want. I would like to make the run there as well but you have a head start on me, your car already runs.

You not that far away (chicago right?)

Shoot me a email sometime
Old 12-11-2002, 10:53 AM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
Originally posted by 1LEThumper
Well when ever me and Louis get mine back together, I'll be joining ya so we can work things out together if you want. I would like to make the run there as well but you have a head start on me, your car already runs.

You not that far away (chicago right?)

Shoot me a email sometime

Should be fun. Last time I was at Road America, (few years ago), I remember seeing your car there.

I think I will leave the pullies as they are, and as you guys suggested, get some aggressive brake pads, go with a much larger resivoir for the aftercooler, larger heat exchanger, and hope she stays together.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:28 PM

i would recommend short shifting it a bit.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by JordonMusser
i would recommend short shifting it a bit.
Hunh? You mean that cam that I have that peaks @ 6800 with NO area under the curve isnt going to work?

This is why area under the curve is SO crucial to a road race car. Not every shift is done at the limiter. Use the torque that the beast has and you will be amazed at how well a car with an area under the curve responds and blows all the others in the grass!

On an app. like this, torque is your friend
Old 12-11-2002, 09:23 PM

I was more aiming at the fact that he wants to keep his motor in one piece, but that is a very true point. BROAD hp is key.

about the only time an upshift is done at the limiter is on straight section
Old 04-19-2003, 11:10 PM

Thumbs up RE: Road America w/600+HP videos

Here are some clips from SpeedSeekers last weekend @ Road America. Awesome event.
Click below:

http://home.mchsi.com/~debbie3004/IROC_RA4.wmv
http://home.mchsi.com/~debbie3004/ra2.wmv
http://home.mchsi.com/~debbie3004/ra3.wmv

Last edited by IROCrdracer; 04-20-2003 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone road race with 600+rwhp?