Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Help Shocks Shocks Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 08:41 PM

Help Shocks Shocks Shocks

alright im lookin at kyb agx shocks which are adjustable and referred to me by a friend whos happy with them, i like the hal adjustables because they are the best ones i could buy so they say for my 95 z28. im lowering my car 1.25 with the eibach pro kit to lose all that hideous daylight under my fenders and hear good things about the revalved billsteins, please any input or suggestions would be appreaciated, im also gona do kenny brown sub connectors and a strut tower brace but my main question is the shocks, HELP ME OUT THANKS.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:19 AM

Re: Help Shocks Shocks Shocks

Get in touch with Sam Strano (www.stranoparts.com ). Sam also posts here under the screen name 01 FS Z28, so he *may* see this thread.

Norm
Old 12-09-2002, 03:43 PM

When I looked into shocks I heard more bad about the AGX than good, poor lifespan, poor performance, and lack of ability to get any kind of specifications on them when I got in touch with KYB to get data, I was told "they have a 5 position adjuster"........

If I hadn't gotten Koni DAs I would have went with revalved Bilsteins, but wasn't sure if I was going to stay with spring selection, or go coil over later, etc
Old 12-10-2002, 04:40 PM

The koni's are a little rich for my blood. What about the HALS'? Does anyone use them or heard anyhting about the adjustible ones? Looks like I can get a set for around 750 from thunderracing.com but I don't see to many people using them.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by MARSTAUT
The koni's are a little rich for my blood. What about the HALS'? Does anyone use them or heard anyhting about the adjustible ones? Looks like I can get a set for around 750 from thunderracing.com but I don't see to many people using them.
Now that's funny.
Koni's are LESS than the cost of those HAL's......
Old 12-10-2002, 05:44 PM

The single adjustible koni's are about the same price, but the double adjustible's are around $1200. Can you explain the difference and make recommendation instead of tring to make me look dumb. Even though I don't know much about this stuff. oh i'm looking for shocks for AutoX and street. thanks.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:51 PM

The single adjustible koni's are about the same price, but the double adjustible's are around $1200. Can you explain the difference and make recommendation instead of tring to make me look dumb. Even though I don't know much about this stuff. oh i'm looking for shocks for AutoX and street. thanks.
I wasn't trying to make you look dumb. I just found it interesting that you said Koni's were more than HAL's are, when in reality they are not.

The difference is simple. DA Koni's adjust compression and rebound, SA's change only rebound. DA's are $1234 or so, and have no warranty. They are useful for serious track cars, but IMO uselss on the street or for autocross. SA's are $729 for the set. Rebound is MUCH more critical for handling and ride than compression (also the range it changes in Koni's is probably 10 times as large as the compression).

I run SA's. I'm the current ESP National Champion and the current ProSolo Champion (both on Koni SA's).
Old 12-10-2002, 06:00 PM

thanks for the info.
So would you say that the SA koni's are better than the hals'?
Old 12-10-2002, 06:07 PM

thanks for the info.
So would you say that the SA koni's are better than the hals'?
If handling is the priority, yes.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:09 PM

HALs are more drag oriented so far as I know, they also are marketed with pretty low end rate spring selection.

The doubles would be nice for open road stuff, otherwise bump isn't that important.