Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

KYB gas adjustables?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 02:43 AM

KYB gas adjustables?

woohoo found out some cool stuff the ohter day while doing my front brakes, I have KYB gas adjustables, my dad put htem on when the car was his daily driver and he isn't really into modding cars.

Questin is now, how exactly do you adjust front kyb gas adjustables?
Old 09-28-2002, 07:03 PM

Re: KYB gas adjustables?

Originally posted by MustangEater82
woohoo found out some cool stuff the ohter day while doing my front brakes, I have KYB gas adjustables, my dad put htem on when the car was his daily driver and he isn't really into modding cars.

Questin is now, how exactly do you adjust front kyb gas adjustables?
You don't..... They are not adjustable, despite the inference (and are not a performance shock either). They are KYB's version of an OE replacement.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:24 AM

hmm... knew I was't so lucky, isn't that fals advertising to say KYB Gas-adjust-shocks on the side of the shock?

whatever they are they are stiffer then stock
Old 09-29-2002, 03:20 PM

Mustangeater I think he(FS Z) just didnt want you to have them?If they say adjustable,most likely they are. Look for some ID #s maybe,check thier site for info on that number,match by site(appearance)maybe too..
T.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by #7
Mustangeater I think he(FS Z) just didnt want you to have them?If they say adjustable,most likely they are. Look for some ID #s maybe,check thier site for info on that number,match by site(appearance)maybe too..
T.
KYB Gas-A-Justs are nothing more than high pressure gas pressure shocks. There is no adjustment that I've ever heard of, read about, or found on the set that my car is rapidly wearing out. While they are perhaps a bit stiffer than base OE shocks or a number of other mass market replacement shocks, they aren't up to the task of controlling springs that are much heavier than base OE. And in my experience, they aren't blessed with a particularly long useful life either.

They are a little better than the GR-2's, which are KYB's low pressure gas shocks (which come with even less pretension of performance).

The only KYB adjustables that I'm aware of are their relatively new AGX line.

Anyway, MustangEater82, when they raise the white flag of surrender, give Sam (01 FS Z28) a holler.

Norm
Old 09-29-2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by #7
T.
Why exactly would you think that I wouldn't want him to have adjustable shocks????? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in months.....

I suppose the fact I own a part business, setup cars, sell shocks (including KYB's) , and do it all well has nothing to do with it?

I was just letting the guy know he didn't have adjustable shocks for pete's sake.....
Old 09-30-2002, 03:23 PM

Since this subject is about KYB's and Sam is also involved I thought I may as well get involved.
They KYB AGX shocks are garbage! 94bird had them also and feels similarly (I think).
They are in fact not really adjustable. They do adjust softer or more firm but the actual valving characteristics are unchanged. Basically to dial in enough rebound has a ton of compression and makes the car CHOPPY.
I have revalved and shortened Bilsteins from Strano (as does 94bird) and there is no comparison! Bisteins are great shocks that work great when valved properly.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:30 PM

Doesnt KYB = Krap, Yuck, Barf?

Sounds appropriate given most people's experience with them
Old 09-30-2002, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by 01 FS Z28
Why exactly would you think that I wouldn't want him to have adjustable shocks????? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in months.....

I suppose the fact I own a part business, setup cars, sell shocks (including KYB's) , and do it all well has nothing to do with it?

I was just letting the guy know he didn't have adjustable shocks for pete's sake.....
Wooaaa,Yeah I did have a ? at the end,and it was more directed at the fact that Eric mentioned they say"Adjustable"on them.
Dont really know about those Krappy Yuck Barf shocks anyway Thats why I offered he try I.D.ing them,research those shocks.Geeze
Maybe he has the AGX and doesnt know? Whatever
Old 10-01-2002, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by #7
. . .
Maybe he has the AGX and doesnt know?
From the 3rd post in this thread we can safely assume that he does not have AGX's

"hmm... knew I was't so lucky, isn't that fals advertising to say KYB Gas-adjust-shocks on the side of the shock?"

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-01-2002 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Norm Peterson
From the 3rd post in this thread we can safely assume that he does not have AGX's

"hmm... knew I was't so lucky, isn't that fals advertising to say KYB Gas-adjust-shocks on the side of the shock?"

Norm

Wow,Norm maybe its "perception"but I see the 2nd post safely assuming absence of adjustments.
As far as Clint in his little quote(3rd post),I took,understood, As he was agreeing w/ FS Z,and bewieldered at the fact they say "Gas Adjustable"and also impling false misrepresentation on KYBs behalf.For putting Gas Adjustable on it,and it not being so.
T.

Last edited by #7; 10-01-2002 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:54 AM

(sigh) The point I was trying to convey was that the shocks in question were clearly labelled as "Gas-ajusts". Hence there was no possibility that they could have been AGX's, as was suggested by "Maybe he has the AGX and doesnt know?".

That aside, I fully agree that KYB's choice of name for that model of shock is misleading. But as a sales-oriented gimmick it seems to be working (no flame toward MustangEater82's dad intended). Consider this an object lesson in the difference between buying something (where you'd be making an informed decision) vs being sold something (where you'd passively hand over the cash in exchange).

Norm
Old 10-02-2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Norm Peterson
((no flame toward MustangEater82's dad intended
Norm
You talking about my dad?!?!?

j/k, his thinking is buy some stiffer ones and they wil take longer to be crappier then stock. I can gurantee he was in no way looking for performance.

I am sure if they were whatever they would be kinda junk anyways they have miles, but I got a good look at htem while playing with my fornt brakes that they were:

white with red writing that says, KYB Gas-Adjust-Sho(Icouldn't see the rest alot of dirt and a bad angle)

I figured since they sound gas adjsutable they might be, and I could experiment to see what they have left in them. But I did assume after the first post that htey are not then they are not, maybe some other day if I am under the car I will look for a part # or something. Or check out the KYB website.