Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Re-Valved Bilstein question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 05:47 PM

Question Re-Valved Bilstein question..

I'm finally adressing a very shot suspension (108,000 miles). I picked up a set of Hyperco springs a couple years ago on a group buy, but have put off installing them (was having fun running FS).

My question is this- is it necessary to have strano re-valved Bilsteins, or could I get away with regular HD's. I've seen HDs for as low as $320, as opposed to Strano's $480.

Thanks again for input guys, you are the gurus!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:09 PM

You can send in your fronts to be revalved, alot of folks leave the rears stock, but many rear springs are not very far from stock rates when compared to fronts. Not including shipping it ends up being about $55 a shock.

Do I think you should? Yes, HDs are valved for stock springs, not "race" stuff.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:03 AM
WOT

Get them re-valved. I've used stock Bilstein HD's and found their valving to not be the best for stock springs let alone aftermarket. I'm having my front's revalved right now through Sam (going with coil-overs). It's $80 per shock (75 if you bought them from him) plus shipping. When at Bilstein they are also thoroughly inspected and completely rebuilt-plus you get to keep your lifetime warranty.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:17 AM

So you're saying that Bilstein actually is who revalves them???

Why can't we just get ahold of a tech person at Bilstein and get a shock with the right damping/rebound from the start?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:55 AM

I assume that the majority of the people that buy the shocks don't mind their factory settings... So for the minority, it would be easier for to revalve the few..

For some more money, you may want to consider getting Koni DA's or SA's... I decided just to get the bilstien hd with revalves to saev some cash, and I know I'm not changing anything else fo ra while plus I don't know how properly adjust them to what should be right anyways......

Last edited by Ken S; 02-26-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:58 PM
WOT

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
So you're saying that Bilstein actually is who revalves them???

Why can't we just get ahold of a tech person at Bilstein and get a shock with the right damping/rebound from the start?
For one Sam understands our cars and shocks much better than anyone at Bilstein probably does. He's the one that provides them with specs that he bases on your car's setup, usage, and drving style. In fact Sam has over 20 different valving setups according to the lady I talked to on the phone (I think his Mother). When she was placing the order for me she looked at the specs that Sam gave for me and she said they had never ordered that setup before-see how individualized it is? Supposedly Shox.com and others have tried to steal Sam's valving specs from Bilstein but Bilstein kept them a secret. I haven't gotten the shocks back yet but I cannot wait!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:02 PM

Hi t.renz

I put a set of pro kit springs on my 96Z along with a set of stock shocks (to save money.) Huge mistake, completely unacceptable in every way. Decided to do it right and call Sam Strano. He set me up with the re-valved Bilsteins. The car is tight now (too bad it took me 110,000 miles to finally get the suspension right.) Anyway, I think it is worth the cost to get your shocks specifically tuned for you setup. Going with non re-valved shocks may save you a little but if you aren’t happy with the results you will regret not having done it right the first time.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by av8er
Hi t.renz

I put a set of pro kit springs on my 96Z along with a set of stock shocks (to save money.) Huge mistake, completely unacceptable in every way. Decided to do it right and call Sam Strano. He set me up with the re-valved Bilsteins. The car is tight now (too bad it took me 110,000 miles to finally get the suspension right.) Anyway, I think it is worth the cost to get your shocks specifically tuned for you setup. Going with non re-valved shocks may save you a little but if you aren’t happy with the results you will regret not having done it right the first time.
Did you use lca relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar too?
Old 02-28-2003, 05:46 AM

I did not use lca relocation brackets, as I don't think they are really needed. I do have an adjustable panhard bar that I have yet to install on the car. I thought I was going to get away without having to get one (I already have a aftermarket non-adjustable panhard bar,) but I experienced some minor wheel rubbing during last weeks autoxcross. So there is a good chance that you will also need one.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
Because who in the world here can give Bilstein the specs to use? How do you know what linnearity to ask for? I bet we could come close to guessing a good rate selection but the linearity etc becomes a problem because frankly, thats not what I do for a living and not something hardly ever talked about on any board I've been on.

It still costs about $50 a shock, plus shipping from Bilstein.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Mudge
Because who in the world here can give Bilstein the specs to use?
I think he was refering to having Bilstein themselves determite the proper specs if we told them what springs we wanted to run. I would imagine they might know a thing or two about that

You are right about it probably not saving much $$$. Plus its always nice to support someone (Sam) who is always helping us out with good, practical advice.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:59 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

there is more to just matching the shock to the spring!
Old 03-01-2003, 01:46 PM

Yes there is more to it. If you only traveled in a strait line with a common bump in the road a common distance from each other shocks would be a piece of cake.

Rebound rates at different shaft velocities are used to determine transitional stability/ability. In other words they control turn in but also control rate of weight tranfer during bumps. So they control the spring and car over bumps not only during strait line driving but throughout any given corner.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:03 PM

Yep, this is why not everyone will use the same shock settings either. Plus you have no idea who the Bilstein tech would be, even if you could find someone to come up with some settings for you, if they are a drag racer they aren't probably going to come up with the best settings for you.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:30 PM

http://www.rapidmotorsports.com/mode...=1&intYearId=3

Cant say I know much about the Bilstien shocks I use Koni SA, all this talk about revalving not sayin Stranos isnt good.The other day came across some Bilstiens revalved by SLP supposed to be valved specifically for road race applications.Just a thought/alternative. At Rapid motorsports
T.

Quick Reply: Re-Valved Bilstein question..