Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 10:06 AM

Post Suspension rebuild

Hey guys here is the deal, I have a 93 TA with about 96K on it. Not real hard miles but not real easy either. Suspension mods:
17 x 9 rim 275 tires
Hypercoil springs
BMR Weld in relocation brackets
KYP AGX in front
Mac SFC
BMR STB

Car is feeling sloppy sometimes turning sharp is will make a "thump" rear end feels loose since the relocation brackets.

Car is a mostly daily driver draged on the weekends. I would like it to handle good but I'm a wuss when it comes to cornering anyways.

Been looking at that PST kit you see in HOD ROD and BMR LCA and adjustable Panrod.

Is the PST a good kit for a front suspension freshen up???? and for the BMR stuff sperically racing ends are the best choice over the poly or is the poly-rubber the one to use for all around performance???

Thanks guys I'm a little stupid on the suspension stuff

------------------
93 Purple grey TA, WS6 chrome rims, Firehawk hood, hypercoil spring, kyb AGX's. Hotcam fully ported heads, mac headers etc..., 3200 viglante, rebuilt tranny all the good stuff! 12.69 @105.88, 1.74 60ft with Nitto's
Old 08-16-2002, 01:08 PM

Question

How do you like those Hypercoils? I have a set sitting in a box from a g.p. from a year ago.

Did you put new shocks in? That may me the clunk in the rear?

------------------
93 Formula Solid Roof, White, 6 speed (slp y-pipe,2OTL, slp shifter, '02 t/a wheels)

1990 Olds 88 Royale (aka Fat Tony) 3.8, Grateful Dead Sticker, and rides like a couch. 170,000 and still going strong, Thrush muffler- Vroom!

There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark...
Old 08-16-2002, 01:19 PM

Hey the hypercoils are very nice. They are lower than I thought they would be. But very nice ride and helped out on the corners!! Ride is not harsh at all and even though it is probabably 2 inches lower I have good ground clearence even with headers hanging down and SFC going pretty low.

The rear shocks are the stock I have some low mile fact replacements I've been meaning to put on!

Unfortunately the "thump" is coming from the front end!

------------------
93 Purple grey TA, WS6 chrome rims, Firehawk hood, hypercoil spring, kyb AGX's. Hotcam fully ported heads, mac headers etc..., 3200 viglante, rebuilt tranny all the good stuff! 12.69 @105.88, 1.74 60ft with Nitto's
Old 08-17-2002, 03:11 PM

Question

Do you think its your rack and pinion?Does it thunk when turning the tires all the way one direction while parked?
Old 08-17-2002, 09:57 PM

If you are doing just bushings you might consider Energy Suspension bushing components. I can rememeber, its either PST (performance suspension technology) or PSC (performance suspension components), but one of those two companies use Energy Suspension bushings in their rebuild sets anyway. I was looking into swapping over to polyeurethane and I ended up calling them when the tech guy told me that. They also just use MOOG (and similar) parts for tie rod ends etc. anyway. So you could go that route, order the bushings you want and the replacement parts you need from different suppliers. Don't forget, those kits in the magazines don't include rear suspension bushings. You'll have to get those seperately.

------------------
'94 Z28 MN6
'93 Vette ZF6
'87 MC SS
'86 Regal
Old 09-13-2002, 12:36 PM

So is a kit like that from PST a decent value compared to buying the components separately? If the difference is only $10 or so it's worth the convenience of getting it all at once.
Is polygraphite a nice compromise between rubber and polyurethane or just hype?
Old 09-13-2002, 02:11 PM

Polyurethane and Polygraphite behave the same... it is just hype.
With the 4th gen f-body the lower control arm rear bushing is the weak link. Over time this just kind of turns into dust. That is very likley the culprit in your front end clunk.
There are a few different options for relacement:
BMR sells a whole control arm
Global West sells a spherical bearing kit
You can order the 1LE lower arm from GM
Polyurethane replacement (not a good option IMHO - it causes bind).
Old 09-13-2002, 03:00 PM

Cool that I was looking at it and it is turned to mush!! I think I'm going to go with a 1LE mostly because of price those other options are pretty spendy and the car is basically a fun street car that I want to handle well but it mostly goes fast in a straight line. Now if I swap to a 6 spd that may change

------------------
Old 09-13-2002, 03:32 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lowend:
</font>
Is the difference in the 1LE arm vs stock just the bushings? Why buy the whole thing?

Old 09-14-2002, 10:51 AM
WOT

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Serial Thriller:
Originally posted by Lowend:
</font>
Is the difference in the 1LE arm vs stock just the bushings? Why buy the whole thing?

I've been looking into buying 1LE (rear) LCA's and everything I've seen tells me the bushings are not sold alone.