Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Wilwood vs Baer... Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:30 PM

Wilwood vs Baer... Opinions!

I'm looking into Brake kits for my 97 Z28. For awhile I was set on the Baer Track kit (2 piston front w/ 13" rotors, stock 1 piston rear w/ upgraded rotors). Then I saw the Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear kit... that sounds bada$$. But then I hear from a few here that the Wilwoods are not very streetable because of no dust boots and they dont have alot of pad area. So now I'm torn....

Basically what I'm asking is whether the Wilwood kit is worth the extra $$$ over the Baer kit???

Does anyone have the Wilwoods? Problems?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2003, 08:36 PM

Can't comment on the Wilwood setup other than that the pad area is less than the Baer. I've used the corvette ZR1 brakes(same as the Baer setup) road racing for many years with no real problems.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:35 AM

wilwoods

I have had the wilwoods on my 96 for just about a year now. They are a great setup. I have the 6 pistons up front, and the stocks setup on the rear. I did have to do some mods to the stock spindal ears, and run a 1/16" spacer to fit my zr1 wheels, but other than that they are great. There is of course the typical brake dust all over the place and brake squeel at light application s when they are cold, but its a trade off. They stop like a dime when warm/hot and dont squeel under hard applicatioon. I of course went ahead and changed all my brake lines over to braided at the same time and really became aware of other suspension inadaquicies (sp) as a result of their effectiness. Bottom line= yes they are worth the money, but for just street / few track times, think about just upgrading to the ls1 setup, or a nashville speed setup. the wilwoods are a true race setup with serious performance requirements.