Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2004 GTO or CTSi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 07:18 AM

Post 2004 GTO or CTSi?

For the 2004 model year, we should get two new GM hot rods. The GTO, imported from Australia and the V8 version of the Cadillac CTS. The way I see it, the CTS should be everything the GTO isn't. Domestically built, sigma platform, new engineering all around and it doesn't take an old nameplate for people to get upset over. From what I've read, the CTSi should be at least 350HP. Of course, what will seperate these two from each other is price. I'm guessing that the Caddy will be 10 grand more than the GTO.

It's time for me to get a new car and I took a CTS on a test drive. I liked it but I really felt like it could use a bit more power. Now I'm wondering if I should just wait another year and see what develops.

But, no matter what or when I buy, my Trans Am stays!
Old 06-30-2002, 08:10 AM

I'd get the CTSi in a second.

The styling is MUCH more distinctive and modern looking, and it sounds liek the performance will be fantastic.

My only beef with the CTSi is that it is a 4-door... I'd love to see a coupe... the CTC!
Old 06-30-2002, 11:59 AM

If money is not an option I would go with the CTSi, I am 22 and for the first time I WANT a cadillac, not an Escalade though they are the status pieces right now... I am waiting to test drive one.. the CTSi looks like it has all the characteristics of a global winner, why stupid magazines don't see it I will never know. (recent issue of MT they test the Cad, BMW 330i and G35, and the BMW won with the G35 second.. it sucked, why don't they give cadillac it's due) The black Cadillacs at night really look sexy. Anyone know if the Cadillac in the movie Matrix will be the CTSi, or the CTS???
Old 06-30-2002, 01:21 PM

Neither, I am waiting for a Camaro or Firebird.

Since I dont like the looks of the CTS at all, thats an easy NO WAY. The few I see on the road to me profile like a Stegosaurus on wheels. Tall, narrow, and hump backed. All it is missing is the plates along the top of the spine.
The dealerships I am around sold them at first, now they are stacking up. I hardly see any on the road in the midwest, but suppose they could be selling other places. Does anyone have sales figures for the CTS since its release?

Since I am not buying any new Pontiacs whatsoever until the Firebird returns, thats an easy NO WAY on the GTO as well.

In the short run until then I may go for a Ute SS El Camino, if it ever makes it and I feel I just have to have a new car. If the Hemi Charger turns out well I may buy my first Mopar.

But I will most certainly be spending most of my car money quite hapily re-building old GM iron my way, and waiting out this rather dark period design and product wise that we are in now...
Old 06-30-2002, 09:41 PM

I'd take the GTO without a doubt (though these aren't cars that are competing with each other). I want to like the CTS, but can't get past the goofy angular looks. The XLR pulls it off better, but even gets carried away. The doors on the CTS seem extremely tall, too.

------------------
-JERRY-
'02 Impreza WRX
'88 Fiero Formula
'90 Sunbird LE For Sale
Formerly owned: '93 Firebird Formula
Old 06-30-2002, 10:12 PM

Cool

If I were to buy GM - I'd go for the CTS. It will support domestic design/build, it will help support Sigma volumes for other development into other models (Camaro?), and it has a unique identity.

If not GM-loyal check out the Lincoln LS V8 - awesome ride.

If you want to wait another year to save the extra $, you may find available the Caddy CTSi or the Linc LS MOD5.0 to your liking, each boasting @400hp. And these cars both have world-class refinements.

Happy shopping!

[This message has been edited by ProudPony (edited June 30, 2002).]
Old 06-30-2002, 11:03 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ProudPony:
If I were to buy GM - I'd go for the CTS. It will support domestic design/build, it will help support Sigma volumes for other development into other models (Camaro?), and it has a unique identity.

If not GM-loyal check out the Lincoln LS V8 - awesome ride.

If you want to wait another year to save the extra $, you may find available the Caddy CTSi or the Linc LS MOD5.0 to your liking, each boasting @400hp. And these cars both have world-class refinements.

Happy shopping!

[This message has been edited by ProudPony (edited June 30, 2002).]
</font>
I heard teh 3.9L is pretty gutless
Old 07-01-2002, 09:27 AM

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by formula79:
I heard teh 3.9L is pretty gutless</font>
It's all relative. The horsepower of GM's new inline 6 in the Trailblazer makes my LT1 seem gutless.

Old 07-01-2002, 02:57 PM

I did have a LS8 Sport Package when they first came out. I liked how it looked and drove. It could use more displacement and torque, but it was enough to smoke MY manumatic tranny in less than a week!
Thank you Jac Nasser for all your cost cutting efforts!
Old 07-01-2002, 03:15 PM

Well, I think I'd be getting a 4-door car. 2-door is nice, but not very convenient for more than 2 people. And with the family and friends... 4 door it would be.

I doubt I'd consider CTS or CTSi. But I would look into Linc LS MOD5.0, which should have ~ 400HP.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:48 PM

the choice is like that between a camaro and a firebird, choose whichever's styling suites you. other than that, they are more similar mechanically than they are dissimilar.

I'd take the GTO over the CTSi.

P.S. notice how 2 of the newest GM "hotrods" are both based on a foreign platfrom. This is the future boys and girls. GM can't design its own new platforms in house, it just buys up German and Japanese companies/designes from more than half a decade ago and modifies them into "new" vehicles. ACES. On the other hand they are lightyears ahead of any inhouse/US designs done by GM.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:27 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by morb|d:

P.S. notice how 2 of the newest GM "hotrods" are both based on a foreign platfrom. This is the future boys and girls. GM can't design its own new platforms in house, it just buys up German and Japanese companies/designes from more than half a decade ago and modifies them into "new" vehicles. ACES. On the other hand they are lightyears ahead of any inhouse/US designs done by GM.
</font>
GTO is the only car on a foreign platform. CTS is American.

One way to look at it is that we didn't lose the Camaro and Firebird, they just got replaced by the GTO and CTSi.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:55 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28x:
GTO is the only car on a foreign platform. CTS is American.
</font>
Sigma is a global platform.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:06 AM

for the price of one CTSi I could almost buy both a new camaro and a firebird or 4 used 4-gen f-bodies.

While I dont doubt the Caddy CTSi will be a great car but at $40,000 to $45,000 (more likely closer to 50 grand) a pop it going to be a little expensive.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:27 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jrp4uc:
Sigma is a global platform.</font>
Yes, but it was designed by GM North America, hence it is American in origin.

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO or CTSi?