Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2005 "new" Jetta: $26,740MSRP(!)...VW's Euro Woes Are Starting to Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

2005 "new" Jetta: $26,740MSRP(!)...VW's Euro Woes Are Starting to Show

By now, everyone who's interested in cars should have seen the "new" Jetta in a magazine review or in person. My own personal experience has been with two nearly identical $26,740 2005 "new" Jetta's. All I can say is WOW, what happened to the $18,000 MSRP?

The 2005 Jetta appear to improve on the 1999 vintage model when it comes to build quality and overall execution, but I have some real doubts about a 148hp, sub 10-second 0-60 car that's being priced against cars like the 200hp Acura TSX and the new Volvo S40. Maybe the Jetta hasn't been a true direct competitor in the Honda Civic-class for a couple of generations, but this level of pricing is spectacular. Maybe 20-something buyers will go along with the market shift into Volvo territory. We all know that VW has been losing money on every U.S. market car for past year or two, but I wasn't expecting this.

Right now, it should obvious that turbocharged Jettas will soon be pressing into the same price territory as the current Passat GLX. It's no wonder that VW is going to offer a Brazilian made last-generation Golf (Jetta?) as an entry level vehicle in the United States along side the new Jetta. It also appears that the VR6 is being dropped (for the time being) because it's downright unaffordable - not just because of possible "market overlap" with the upcoming Passat.

The next big question is just how expensive is the new Passat going to be? I don't see the new 200hp Passat falling anywhere near the $23K starting point of the current 170hp model. Wouldn't it be ironic if the high-end six-cylinder Passats fell in the same price category as the failed Passat WR-8?

While everyone was caught up in the "doom 'n gloom" at GM, we all might have lost sight that things might be much worse at other automotive manufacturers. VW's late-1990s winning streak might have just come to an end.

(To add a bit of humor to this thread, I should point out that window sticker on this VW reads "new Jetta." Isn't it a bit pecualiar that VW chose to put the "new" in lower case, even though the aging "NEW" Beetle still get an upper case spelling. Maybe there is some truth in marketing - this $26,740 Jetta might just be a lower case type of car.)

Last edited by redzed; 04-05-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Re: 2005 "new" Jetta: $26,740MSRP(!)...VW's Euro Woes Are Starting to Show

I've always thought the Jetta was overpriced, though it is a little more "luxurious" (in image if not in reality) than most compacts. Sure, you could get a Jetta in the price range of a Corolla, Civic, or Cobalt. But you could never option out one of the latter anywhere close to the price of a loaded Jetta (though, the Jetta offered the VR6 as an option). Heck, even a Cobalt SS (which will kill a VR6 Jetta) is cheaper than a loaded up Jetta, and that is against the '04-era Jetta.

I would hope that the $26k pricetag you saw was for a relatively loaded car. Of course, if it was still sporting the base 5 cylinder at that price, then that is just insane. But, the magazines will continue to faint over the Audi-like ( ) dash and drool over the car. Regarding that interior, I thought it was nice, but despite the drivel printed in the car mags, it is NOT some miniature Audi/Lexus/Rolls interior. The dash plastics are sort of hard ( *gasp*), just like in a Cobalt. Which is perfectly fine for a compact car (or most cars, really), as long as the fit is good, the finish looks nice, and they don't squeak/rattle. But the Cobalt, loaded to the hilt as an LT, is quite a bit cheaper than 26 grand!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
By now, everyone who's interested in cars should have seen the "new" Jetta in a magazine review or in person. My own personal experience has been with two nearly identical $26,740 2005 "new" Jetta's. All I can say is WOW, what happened to the $18,000 MSRP?
26k is most likely for a well optioned version. Still overpriced, but somewhat reasonable if the equipment list is good.

MSRP for the base 150hp manual version is $17,900 according to VW website.
http://www.vw.com/jetta/
Old 04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I've always thought the Jetta was overpriced, though it is a little more "luxurious" (in image if not in reality) than most compacts. Sure, you could get a Jetta in the price range of a Corolla, Civic, or Cobalt. But you could never option out one of the latter anywhere close to the price of a loaded Jetta (though, the Jetta offered the VR6 as an option). Heck, even a Cobalt SS (which will kill a VR6 Jetta) is cheaper than a loaded up Jetta, and that is against the '04-era Jetta.
Forget the VR6. The upcoming 200hp(+/-) turbocharged 2.0 liter 4-cylinder is the replacement for both the 180hp 1.8T and the 2.8 liter VR6.

I would hope that the $26k pricetag you saw was for a relatively loaded car. Of course, if it was still sporting the base 5 cylinder at that price, then that is just insane. But, the magazines will continue to faint over the Audi-like ( ) dash and drool over the car. Regarding that interior, I thought it was nice, but despite the drivel printed in the car mags, it is NOT some miniature Audi/Lexus/Rolls interior. The dash plastics are sort of hard ( *gasp*), just like in a Cobalt. Which is perfectly fine for a compact car (or most cars, really), as long as the fit is good, the finish looks nice, and they don't squeak/rattle. But the Cobalt, loaded to the hilt as an LT, is quite a bit cheaper than 26 grand!
The car I'm talking about is a Jetta with an automatic and Package 2 - the combination that's appearing in just about every automotive magazine this month is also the first to hit the street. The $26,740 Jetta that I say (the only one to see at the moment) is pretty much optioned up, but keep in mind that it has the base powertrain. I can't see a similarly equipped turbocharged Jetta selling for much less than the R32 Golf.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:10 PM

I don't think this version will sell as well. I liked the looks of the old one better. The new one blends into the crowd too well and is too expensive. I also hate that chrome around the grill.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
26k is most likely for a well optioned version. Still overpriced, but somewhat reasonable if the equipment list is good.

MSRP for the base 150hp manual version is $17,900 according to VW website.
http://www.vw.com/jetta/
Actually, the old style Jetta GL is still for sale as a 2005 - hence the $18K starting price. (The actually "new" Jetta 2.5 has lost the GL/GLS/GLI trim level designations.)

The "new Jetta starts at $21,005 MSRP with a manual transmission - but I think that only automatics (starting at $22,080 MSRP!) are available - so far. And I've only seen loaded $26,740 new Jettas - so far.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/volk...act/index.html
Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28x
I don't think this version will sell as well.
Time will tell....

Originally Posted by Z28x
I liked the looks of the old one better. The new one blends into the crowd too well and is too expensive. I also hate that chrome around the grill.
I'm not sure what to think of VW's current "chrome overload" theme. What really confuses me is that VW and Audi are using the exact same theme. Of course, now that Volkswagen and Audi are occupying the same price segment.....
Old 04-05-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
Time will tell....

I'm not sure what to think of VW's current "chrome overload" theme. What really confuses me is that VW and Audi are using the exact same theme. Of course, now that Volkswagen and Audi are occupying the same price segment.....
Again, I agree.

Are we in the Twilight Zone or something?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned

Are we in the Twilight Zone or something?
Considering that that it takes $1.30 to buy one Euro - instead of the other way around, I'd say yes.

Of course, that's also the reason why we're talking about a sub-$27K Jetta.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:59 PM

My roommate is pretty much what I think is the target market for VW - artistic, owns an Apple computer, 20-something educated young adult. Right now he has an 2001 1.8t (2001 or there abouts, Ive never really cared to ask); his reaction to the styling of new Jetta is pretty negative. Maybe they were just banking on people buying them because they're VWs?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:31 PM

The old Jetta had a very nice look to it IMO. Somewhat stodgy, conserative, but it was unique. The new one looks exactly like a Toyota Corolla(which is a much better buy for the money, along with the Cobalt).

Who else thinks we need a 4 door Cobalt SS? If the only difference is 4 doors, then I think GM would find a lot more buyers who were too practical to buy the two door.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:11 PM

I actually like the looks of the new Jetta better. The only problem is that it's a much bigger car, more of leap than most models are accustomed to taking over their predecessors. However at that price it's going to be in for a tough ride. Doesn't VW know we're in a negative pricing environment here in North America? VW was already suffering a loss in market share because they didn't want to play the rebate game. Now that their subpar quality is beginning to become more well recognized, people are going to have even less of a reason to pick a Jetta over its competition.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:00 AM

Price be damned, the new one looks like a bloated Corolla. That alone gives me hope for its competitors. Also, the old design is a pile in terms of reliability...I wonder if any of these "superior" German car owners will switch to "inferior" American cars after getting 4 dead batteries because their Jetta's tailights stay on long after the car is parked. I know this because a close friend traded in to me her '02 Jetta GL for, of all things, a G6

I like this weak dollar thing
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01 AM

FYI a Jetta VE (value edition) starts out at $17,900. I agree the exterior is very bland but it grows on you after a while (the ones with the body kits and 18" wheels look hot). The interiors are awsome especially on the package 2 cars. Also the reason on the maroney it says "new JETTA" is because there are two different 2005 body styles old/new body. Expect a fully loaded Jetta to cost in the low $30's .
Old 04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by steves
FYI a Jetta VE (value edition) starts out at $17,900.
The $18k Jetta you're talking about is the old 4th generation car that's been around since 1999 - not the "new" 2005.

Quick Reply: 2005 "new" Jetta: $26,740MSRP(!)...VW's Euro Woes Are Starting to Show